What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Only 6. That list is garbage. Too much modern trash and too few classics. SJMO
    I've only read 38 so I don't feel like I can say it's garbage. I have several titles I would have included were I in charge though. As mentioned in the post above, it's a past 100 years list, so many of the classics you're likely referring to were not included for that reason. The most glaring omission for me was Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, which I consider the finest novel written in this young century.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      The Atlantic has put out a list of Great American Novels. Their list came out 5 days ago and is still behind a paywall so I'm posting the listchallenges version that someone uploaded. This version is nice because it keeps track of how many you've read while you comb through the list.

I've read 38/136.
      I have read 14.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post

I neglected to mention that it's only books from the past 100 years.
        Makes sense now. Still, nerds are disregarded.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post

Makes sense now. Still, nerds are disregarded.
          What would you include?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

What would you include?
            There is no Asimov, Heinlein, or Herbert. I know a lot of fantasy isn't held is high esteem but I'd expect more there as well. I'm not sure how they decided these but some authors should have 3 or 4 on the list but I know they wanted more representation.

Comment

There is no Asimov, Heinlein, or Herbert. I know a lot of fantasy isn't held is high esteem but I'd expect more there as well. I'm not sure how they decided these but some authors should have 3 or 4 on the list but I know they wanted more representation.
              There should be one Asimov and Dune should probably be there as well I agree with you.

Fantasy is tougher, maybe the first WOT and a Terry Brooks

Comment

• I might have the low score with 2, though I have seen a few of these made into movies...

Comment

Seems to me that NK Jesimin has taken Asimov's spot as the new "literary" Sci Fi/Fantasy author. She makes all the lists.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    There should be one Asimov and Dune should probably be there as well I agree with you.

Fantasy is tougher, maybe the first WOT and a Terry Brooks
                    The more i think about it, the more im not sure fantasy really ever is going to get its due in lists like this. This is an american list, but if it was broader no doubt Tolkien and Lewis would be on this list. But most fantasy is silly and the prose not especially good. Sci Fi can be similarly categorized. I love Frank Herbert's prose, but I know most literary critics (and English majors) don't like it.

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post

Seems to me that NK Jesimin has taken Asimov's spot as the new "literary" Sci Fi/Fantasy author. She makes all the lists.
                    I've read excerpts of her work to see if it was interesting but it didn't really catch me. I'm a somewhat slow reader and my time to read is extremely finite. Have you read her work?

Comment

I've read excerpts of her work to see if it was interesting but it didn't really catch me. I'm a somewhat slow reader and my time to read is extremely finite. Have you read her work?
                      I have read The Fifth Season from that list. I liked it but can't remember enough about it to tell you why.

Comment

I read the Broken Earth trilogy, of which The Fifth Season is the first book. All three of them won the Hugo award for that year, something I think hasn't been done before. She is a really engaging author, and she weaves together characters from multiple timelines very well. I would recommend you try that trilogy once you've finished Mistborn.

I also read her Inheritance trilogy which was also very well done. Not as good as the Broken Earth IMO.

I read 6 of that Atlantic list

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• [QUOTE=SteelBlue;n2313032]The Atlantic has put out a list of Great American Novels. Their list came out 5 days ago and is still behind a paywall so I'm posting the listchallenges version that someone uploaded. This version is nice because it keeps track of how many you've read while you comb through the list.

I've read 38/136.[/QUOTE}

I've read 11 or them unless you count the 4 times I read "Catcher in the Rye" in high school - then is 14 Every time I changed schools I had to read the blessed thing!

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Kind of a shot in the dark here but thought I'd give it a try.

I read a really interesting Twitter thread about the Comanches today, how the introduction of the horse basically turned them into the Mongols of the American plains, and that if they had had a little more time they probably would have conquered a huge portion of the continent. Anyone know of a good book on the Comanches?

Comment

• This year I read a truly great book that should iinterest all of you. Here is my book review. https://x.com/johnrneeleman/status/1...yER1gbdJexlx5Q

Remarkably, Hong Xiuquan had the same vision as Joseph Smith, at about the same time--God the Father and Jesus, with Satan trying to break up the encounter. Hong Xiuquan took from the event that he was the brother of Jesus--sort of like the prophet to usher in the last dispensation.

Not only this, Hong Xiuquan's godhead was the same as Joseph Smith's. No trunity, three separate gods, with God the Fother and Jesus separate beings.

The Taiping religion also organized the universe by family units and pedigrees, and strictly enforced moral chastity. Yet naturally Hong Xiuquan had fir himself a harem that included wives of his followers and girls.

A weird, little known event in human history, yet possibly more significant historical event that Mormonism. Hong Xiuquan's movement grew into the Taiping Rebellion against the Qing dynasty that left 20 million dead. Hong Xiuquan's movement would go on to inspire Mao's successful rebellion against the Quing and Chiang Kai-check.
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                This year I read a truly great book that should iinterest all of you. Here is my book review. https://x.com/johnrneeleman/status/1...yER1gbdJexlx5Q

Remarkably, Hong Xiuquan had the same vision as Joseph Smith, at about the same time--God the Father and Jesus, with Satan trying to break up the encounter. Hong Xiuquan took from the event that he was the brother of Jesus--sort of like the prophet to usher in the last dispensation.

Not only this, Hong Xiuquan's godhead was the same as Joseph Smith's. No trunity, three separate gods, with God the Fother and Jesus separate beings.

The Taiping religion also organized the universe by family units and pedigrees, and strictly enforced moral chastity. Yet naturally Hong Xiuquan had fir himself a harem that included wives of his followers and girls.

A weird, little known event in human history, yet possibly more significant historical event that Mormonism. Hong Xiuquan's movement grew into the Taiping Rebellion against the Qing dynasty that left 20 million dead. Hong Xiuquan's movement would go on to inspire Mao's successful rebellion against the Quing and Chiang Kai-check.
                                It definitely interests me, and I'm going to check it out. You need to stop by more often.
                                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                                X