What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Amazon doesn't seem to recognize either Jot Talbot or The Life We Bury. How does one get this book?
    Its on there. Author is Allen Eskens.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

Its on there. Author is Allen Eskens.
      Well, that helps. So Joe Talbot is a character in the book then. Got it.
      ----- Edit -----
      Talbert. Apparently I'm not the only one mistyping stuff on this thread.
      Last edited by Scott R Nelson; 11-18-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• I've got 11 credit on Audible - and 8 unheard books in my library. The pandemic has killed my book listening - but in the meantime - I've built an empire.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Just finished The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. I loved his novel A Gentleman in Moscow and was looking forward to this one perhaps more than any other new book this year. To top it off, it has a very high rating on goodreads with thousands of reviews. I hated it. It read like YA fiction with every character one dimensional. I cannot believe this is the same guy who gave us the Count, one of the great literary characters of this century. When I read people's 5 star reviews I feel like we must've read different books. 2 stars.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            Just finished The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. I loved his novel A Gentleman in Moscow and was looking forward to this one perhaps more than any other new book this year. To top it off, it has a very high rating on goodreads with thousands of reviews. I hated it. It read like YA fiction with every character one dimensional. I cannot believe this is the same guy who gave us the Count, one of the great literary characters of this century. When I read people's 5 star reviews I feel like we must've read different books. 2 stars.
            It was not good. So disappointing. I also was really looking forward to it, but it ended up being really dumb.

Comment

• Maybe this is a sign of my maturity as a consumer of literature, but I started and never finished "A Gentleman in Moscow". I kept thinking "Here is where something will finally happen!", and it never did, so I finally gave up.

In my partial defense, one of my favorite authors is Willa Cather, so I can read character-driven books where not a whole lot happens, but AGIM never really did it for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                Maybe this is a sign of my maturity as a consumer of literature, but I started and never finished "A Gentleman in Moscow". I kept thinking "Here is where something will finally happen!", and it never did, so I finally gave up.

In my partial defense, one of my favorite authors is Willa Cather, so I can read character-driven books where not a whole lot happens, but AGIM never really did it for me.
                I think "A Tramp in Budapest" might be a more entertaining read for you.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Maybe this is a sign of my maturity as a consumer of literature, but I started and never finished "A Gentleman in Moscow". I kept thinking "Here is where something will finally happen!", and it never did, so I finally gave up.

I struggled to finish it. But I did, because .... you know ... I am not a quitter.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I struggled to finish it. But I did, because .... you know ... I am not a quitter.
                    I really liked it.

But I also really liked the The Man who Died Twice by Richard Osman that I just finished. Really fun. I am all over the place when it comes to books.

Comment

I was in this same boat. But then a friend told me it was his favorite book of the last 10 years. And I generally agree with his reading suggestions. So I dove back in and finished. And I didn't regret it. It was very good. FWIW, the same friend told me the Lincoln Highway sucked, and not to bother. And I haven't!
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

I was in this same boat. But then a friend told me it was his favorite book of the last 10 years. And I generally agree with his reading suggestions. So I dove back in and finished. And I didn't regret it. It was very good. FWIW, the same friend told me the Lincoln Highway sucked, and not to bother. And I haven't!
                        Maybe I will get it for my kindle. When I "read" it I was listening to the audiobook, which sometimes doesn't work as well for slower-paced books.

Comment

Maybe I will get it for my kindle. When I "read" it I was listening to the audiobook, which sometimes doesn't work as well for slower-paced books.
                          increase the reading speed

Comment

• In my opinion, this list is a big meh. Awful. Don't rely on me to tell you why. Read the readers' favorites comments in response to the article. Here the Times didn't have any Times favorites. Right now I'm more worried about illiberalism in my own country than China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/b...ooks-2021.html
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• I can highly recommend this book, even though I'm not crazy about the title, probably added by an editor or publisher. Really enjoyed it. McWhorter is a professor at Columbia and brilliant. I'm really happy about the widespread success of this book. Even the NY Times gave it a good review. It should have made the 10 best! The title is at odds with the intellectual heft and superb writing of the text.

https://www.amazon.com/Woke-Racism-R.../dp/0593423062
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                In my opinion, this list is a big meh. Awful. Don't rely on me to tell you why. Read the readers' favorites comments in response to the article. Here the Times didn't have any Times favorites. Right now I'm more worried about illiberalism in my own country than China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/b...ooks-2021.html
                                Ha. That is a very woke list.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X