Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
    I just finished Sir Jeffrey Archer's latest, Heads You Win

Interesting premise - The main character escapes from the USSR in 1968 in a shipping container. When he and his mother get to the docks, they have a choice of either going to the US or England. The story is duel tracked, as Mr. Archer tells what happened with both choices. There is also a bit of an O'Henry style ending. For me, a 4+ star read.

Having recently read both Follett and Archer (two of my favorite British authors writing right now) I think I enjoy Archer a bit more. He doesn't let his politics show quite a much
    My first Archer book was "A Twist in the Tale" which I read as a teenager while recovering from a broken neck. Really enjoyed it, as I have several of his other books since.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I downloaded a bunch of G. K. Chesterton's books. Just finished Orthodoxy, which is a fantastic apologetic treatise on Christianity. Well worth the time.

When a religious scheme is shattered (as Christianity was shattered at the Reformation), it is not merely the vices that are let loose. The vices are, indeed, let loose, and they wander and do damage. But the virtues are let loose also; and the virtues wander more wildly, and the virtues do more terrible damage. The modern world is full of the old Christian virtues gone mad. The virtues have gone mad because they have been isolated from each other and are wandering alone.
      And the more I considered Christianity, the more I found that while it had established a rule and order, the chief aim of that order was to give room for good things to run wild.
      For the only courage worth calling courage must necessarily mean that the soul passes a breaking point—and does not break.
      It is written, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." No; but the Lord thy God may tempt Himself; and it seems as if this was what happened in Gethsemane. In a garden Satan tempted man: and in a garden God tempted God. He passed in some superhuman manner through our human horror of pessimism. When the world shook and the sun was wiped out of heaven, it was not at the crucifixion, but at the cry from the cross: the cry which confessed that God was forsaken of God.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        David Goggins- Can't Hurt Me

Solid. Dude has an unbelievable story.
        I'm about half way through this, very entertaining and a good read for someone that may need a kick in the butt. I'm also about half way through Life by Keith Richards, two very different paths to success.

Comment

• this phil knight book is trash.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            this phil knight book is trash.
            Shoe Dog? I thought it was interesting how things feel into place for him. He worked hard and put it all on the line several times but a lot of things also had fall in place for it all to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              Shoe Dog? I thought it was interesting how things feel into place for him. He worked hard and put it all on the line several times but a lot of things also had fall in place for it all to work.
              yeah. like 1000 pages of phil knight talking about how hard phil knight worked. zzzzz

Comment

yeah. like 1000 pages of phil knight talking about how hard phil knight worked. zzzzz
                Maybe building a multi-billion dollar company is in fact hard work. Just a thought.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Maybe building a multi-billion dollar company is in fact hard work. Just a thought.
                  that doesn’t make it a good book

Comment

that doesn’t make it a good book
                    Ha. Good point.

I liked it.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• I'm currently reading historian John Julius Norwich's last book A History of France
                      It is subtitled From Gaul to DeGaulle. The first 800 yrs (from Julius Caesar to Charlemagne) is covered in about 30 pages. The pace does slow a bit after that. It is "only" 400 pages or so, and very readable.

He passed away last summer and was a fantastic historian and writer. He wrote several books on the history of various places in the Mediterranean, including Venice, Sicily and a three volume set on the Byzantine Empire

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I finally got around to reading The Goldfinch. Really great. Probably below The Nix for me, but definitely among the very best fiction I've read in the last few years. I agree, however, with those who thought it too long; the same story could have been told in a couple hundred fewer pages without losing any value to the characters or the story. That said, there is absolutely zero chance that a movie will be any good for the book readers. But I think i'll be interested to see it just to see what they cut out.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          I finally got around to reading The Goldfinch. Really great. Probably below The Nix for me, but definitely among the very best fiction I've read in the last few years. I agree, however, with those who thought it too long; the same story could have been told in a couple hundred fewer pages without losing any value to the characters or the story. That said, there is absolutely zero chance that a movie will be any good for the book readers. But I think i'll be interested to see it just to see what they cut out.
                          The Goldfinch is in my top 5 ever novels. So good.

I thought The Nix was just OK.

Agree that The Goldfinch movie will automatically suck but I wil watch it anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            I finally got around to reading The Goldfinch. Really great. Probably below The Nix for me, but definitely among the very best fiction I've read in the last few years. I agree, however, with those who thought it too long; the same story could have been told in a couple hundred fewer pages without losing any value to the characters or the story. That said, there is absolutely zero chance that a movie will be any good for the book readers. But I think i'll be interested to see it just to see what they cut out.
                            Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

Agree that The Goldfinch movie will automatically suck but I wil watch it anyway.
                            Yep, top 5 for me too. I had serious anxiety during the period the narrator was working as an antiques dealer in NY. Like, bleeding into my real life anxiety.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

Both great books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Both great books.
                                Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X