X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The Boys in the Boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Boat-Amer...ys+in+the+boat

I put off reading it because I assumed it would be about a bunch of spoiled rich kids from Harvard or Yale or something. Wow, was I ever wrong. One of the best books I have read in a while. Highly recommended.
    I've got to move this one up the TBR list

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Phillip Larkin to be memorialized in Poet's Corner.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...serable-genius
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Just finished Dead Wake by Erik Larsen. It is about the sinking of the Lusitania prior to US entry into WWI. This is the author of Devil and the White City. He is an excellent writer. Highly recommended.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Just finished Dead Wake by Erik Larsen. It is about the sinking of the Lusitania prior to US entry into WWI. This is the author of Devil and the White City. He is an excellent writer. Highly recommended.
          I havent even been able to crack the top 10 on the library wait list for this one. Might have to break down and buy it.

Comment

Just finished Dead Wake by Erik Larsen. It is about the sinking of the Lusitania prior to US entry into WWI. This is the author of Devil and the White City. He is an excellent writer. Highly recommended.
            I'll second this - It read it last spring and it is an excellent read!

I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads
            Last edited by happyone; 12-09-2015, 09:43 AM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              Anyone else (I'm looking at you oldgregg) excited to see "The End of the Tour"? Yeah, I know, wrong thread, but I think it works here. I was really looking forward to seeing it tonight then realized one must live in NYC or LA to do so. I know people (myself included) mocked the casting of Jason Segel as DFW, but everything I'm reading seems to indicate that his performance is incredible. I can't find any information about the wider release date.

One review:
              http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/mo...vids.html?_r=0
              finally got around to seeing this. i just couldn't get past jason segel caricature of dfw. and for some reason i want to punch jesse eisenberg in his face every time i see him.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• I just read Krakauer's latest book Missoula, about rape cases and prosecutions at the University of Montana. Had this one for a while and even though I like Krakauer's other stuff I was putting this off because of the subject matter. I thought this was a really important book, surprisingly interesting -- I read it in 2 days.

This book makes you grateful for BYU and its no drinking and no sex culture, that's for sure. Kind of thinking that every college freshman, whether girl or boy, should read this book.

Comment

• I’m looking for a couple of recommendations. I know a couple of people on here have referenced reading (not necessarily in this thread) a couple of modern English translations of the Bible. I have spent the last 30 minutes searching the forum but can’t find the specific posts. Anyone know which versions are the most respected among biblical scholars?

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                    I’m looking for a couple of recommendations. I know a couple of people on here have referenced reading (not necessarily in this thread) a couple of modern English translations of the Bible. I have spent the last 30 minutes searching the forum but can’t find the specific posts. Anyone know which versions are the most respected among biblical scholars?
                    I love the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV). This one is a great study bible:

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Revi...ds=oxford+nrsv

I also recommend the YouVersion Bible app for your phone and tablet. It lets you switch between a ton of different translations for comparison.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I love the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV). This one is a great study bible:

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Revi...ds=oxford+nrsv

I also recommend the YouVersion Bible app for your phone and tablet. It lets you switch between a ton of different translations for comparison.
                      Thank you. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll look into the YouVersion bible app.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                        Thank you. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll look into the YouVersion bible app.
                        Lebowski posted the link to the 3rd edition. You might want to try the 4th edition which is less expensive and also has Kindle and paperback versions: http://www.amazon.com/New-Oxford-Ann...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Comment

• The Rent Collector. Novel about a family that literally lives in a garbage dump in Cambodia. Not bad.

To Kill a Mockingbird. Don't laugh. I have seen the movie a couple times but never got around to reading the book. Shame on me. What a wonderful novel.

When the Legends Die. Revisited one of my favorite young adult books. Brought back a lot of memories.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                            Just finished Franzen's new novel Purity. Among other things, I thought it was an interesting look at the idealism of youth and what that becomes as we age. It's a bit of a behemoth at nearly 600 pages, but honestly, it reads like 300 and that is largely due to Franzen's facility with the dialogue. I don't know if anyone here ever pays attention to my recommendations, but in case someone does, I should note that this one would be rated a hard R if we were talking in movie terms. So, you've been warned.
                            I finally finished Purity sometime ago. I think that ironically, this book is indeed about youth and its promise and fleeting wisdom that inevitably disappears with age (hence I wish there were an epigraph in it from Nietzsche, who fervently believed that the world was made for and ought to belong to the young and vital, and made no apologies for it), and Frantzen is a bit clunky in trying to write a hipster’s novel about the Internet—its subject matter and action are rather passe as Julian Assange, Wikileaks, and Edward Snowden are probably more interesting than this novel that they inspired and they themselves are already rather passe. New York should probably put a moratorium on literary novels about the Internet. Meanwhile, Nietzsche continues to be the most influential of all those dead philosophers.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Still moving slowly through Chernow's Alexander Hamilton. I really like it, but unfortunately 95% of my spare time for reading is taken up by reading football and basketball rules lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                Frantzen is a bit clunky in trying to write a hipster’s novel about the Internet—its subject matter and action are rather passe as Julian Assange, Wikileaks, and Edward Snowden are probably more interesting than this novel that they inspired and they themselves are already rather passe. New York should probably put a moratorium on literary novels about the Internet.
                                It reminded me of Jennifer Egan's descriptions of future technology in "A Visit from the Good Squad". She got a lot of credit for her prescience, but I thought she was essentially describing an iPhone.

Comment

Working...
                                X