Ok, DDD....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pellegrino
    miserere me
    • Jan 2009
    • 12100

    #16
    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    That was your brother?!?

    Tell him that he is my hero.
    Yes it was. It was a side deal for him, I think it was more for the fact that he brought one of his favorite bands to the USA and I'm not sure he made much off it, but he's quite the entrepreneurial type.

    I have fond memories of that concert because it was the first official date my wife and I had and I got to meet Marion Gold and watch him get drunk after the concert. Nice guy, he's a fan of Corona beer, something I wouldn't have expected coming from a German.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

    Comment

    • il Padrino Ute
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 19161

      #17
      Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      Yes it was. It was a side deal for him, I think it was more for the fact that he brought one of his favorite bands to the USA and I'm not sure he made much off it, but he's quite the entrepreneurial type.

      I have fond memories of that concert because it was the first official date my wife and I had and I got to meet Marion Gold and watch him get drunk after the concert. Nice guy, he's a fan of Corona beer, something I wouldn't have expected coming from a German.
      I went to the show on the first night. It was great fun.

      My only complaint was that the bands that played before Alphaville took up too much of Alphaville's time. They should have been told they can play one song, then get off the stage. My wife and I were not happy that Marion and Co. didn't go onstage until almost midnight.
      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

      Comment

      • pellegrino
        miserere me
        • Jan 2009
        • 12100

        #18
        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
        I went to the show on the first night. It was great fun.

        My only complaint was that the bands that played before Alphaville took up too much of Alphaville's time. They should have been told they can play one song, then get off the stage. My wife and I were not happy that Marion and Co. didn't go onstage until almost midnight.
        There were too many bands and IIRC they got wrangled into having one or two of them that they didn't originally plan on but promoters wanted to include them as an attempt to bolster a comeback of New Wave. I'll never forget the one band whose lead singer made a plea to the audience to fight for more New Wave on the radio and to bring it back to its glory or something like that. I had forgotten that they didn't get on stage until so late, but I think the concert started later than anticipated because they had some sound issues.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

        Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

        pelagius

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #19
          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
          There were too many bands and IIRC they got wrangled into having one or two of them that they didn't originally plan on but promoters wanted to include them as an attempt to bolster a comeback of New Wave. I'll never forget the one band whose lead singer made a plea to the audience to fight for more New Wave on the radio and to bring it back to its glory or something like that. I had forgotten that they didn't get on stage until so late, but I think the concert started later than anticipated because they had some sound issues.
          It may have gotten a late start, but it seems like there were 4 or 5 bands that played before Alphaville finally got on stage.

          I remember the guy pleading to beg for more New Wave. Despite being a huge fan of the early to mid-80s new wave, I got a chuckle out of it and told him to get off the stage so we could hear real New Wave from Alphaville.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #20
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            It may have gotten a late start, but it seems like there were 4 or 5 bands that played before Alphaville finally got on stage.

            I remember the guy pleading to beg for more New Wave. Despite being a huge fan of the early to mid-80s new wave, I got a chuckle out of it and told him to get off the stage so we could hear real New Wave from Alphaville.
            There were too many bands to open the show. There shouldn't have been more than three tops and even that would have been too much. I was thinking about this on my way home and I realized that the guy who was trying to rally the troops was one of those bands that my brother didn't want to have but was persuaded because of some financial benefit. I think they may have kicked in for the cost of the venue just to have the chance to play with Alphaville. I'll have to ask him about that one.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • Surfah
              Where's Wallace?
              • Nov 2008
              • 33726

              #21
              Alphaville kicks ass. Admittedly I only have their best of album. Big in Japan!
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #22
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Alphaville kicks ass. Admittedly I only have their best of album. Big in Japan!
                That's a good album to have. I can burn you a copy of Forever Young if you'd like. It's a great album.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • pellegrino
                  miserere me
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 12100

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Alphaville kicks ass. Admittedly I only have their best of album. Big in Japan!
                  LOL, I had a companion who every time we were rejected would turn to me and say "Don't worry, we're big in Japan." It got to the point that we'd just look at each other and say "Japan, tonight."
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

                  Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                  pelagius

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #24
                    EPU, these all bring back memories, esp the Thrashing Doves track.

                    At the risk of beating a dead horse, allow me to invite you to reconsider your long-held position that current music has little to offer someone of your tastes. You and I trace our musical roots back to the same era and, in fact, if we made lists of our bands, they would probably look identical in some spots.

                    There are loads of current bands that crank out stuff that I think you would enjoy. A few singles off the top of my head that I would humbly submit for your perusal.....check these out and let me know what you like and don't like about them. There is a whole world of fun music to explore. I think you will find it suits you. Check it out.

                    First, The Coral, "Dreaming of You." An older single from 2002, but the style is reminiscent of earlier Wonderstuff and Stone Roses albums.

                    [youtube]KRy8N1P1EUI[/youtube]

                    Another band along those lines that you might enjoy...The Electric Soft Parade. This is another older single....2002 or thereabouts. "Empty at the End." The cool thing about TESP is their unabashed incorporation of synths and electronic drumbeats. Very 80s influenced and definitely along the same lines as stuff that you enjoy. Some of the tracks off their first disc are similar to Mightly Lemondrops, as i know you are familiar with that band.

                    [youtube]BAGeThypEcQ[/youtube]

                    More recently, a band that I think you might enjoy quite a bit is The Kooks. These guys are a quartet from Brighton that crank out upbeat singles that are really fun. You can immediately notice the influence of earlier 60s groups (turtles, byrds, etc....the harmonies in the chorus are often eerily similar), but they also have a sound that can be compared to some Stephen Duffy solo stuff. This song is called "Mr. Maker." This one is always on heavy rotation in our house. The wife and kids approve.

                    [youtube]zYPCfaPewvg[/youtube]

                    Another couple from The Kooks...."She Moves in Her Own Way"

                    [youtube]W4x6MCyJwEk[/youtube]

                    "Ooh La"

                    [youtube]3pbtPpYxIjw[/youtube]

                    Another "older" band you might enjoy is The Cloud Room. Check out this single from a few years ago..."Hey Now Now."

                    [youtube]3aAza2nwa8Y[/youtube]

                    The band: Islands. The song: "Creeper." The result: radness

                    [youtube]zEg7S7Z8VsU[/youtube]

                    Let me know if any of these resonate. I feel like my mission in life is clear....to get you to discover new music that isn't more than ten years old. It is out there, my friend!
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #25
                      More (older stuff) for you DDD:

                      I'm guessing that you're on of the few who knows this band:
                      [youtube]J-XIIHgsVgU[/youtube]

                      A couple from these guys:
                      [youtube]cz8MdKWFRGc[/youtube]

                      [youtube]hnYSis1eNSE[/youtube]

                      My all-time favorite band:
                      [youtube]vr4tQADW-Dw[/youtube]

                      How many years since you've heard this?:
                      [youtube]zoMq4TSGZoA[/youtube]

                      Notice the Swatches in this video:
                      [youtube]nOnLb8Qkx8E[/youtube]
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        How about mid-90's new wave revival?

                        [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlq2hYcHEQ0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlq2hYcHEQ0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                        really, Tim? You're calling the Rentals a new wave revival?
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #27
                          Another lost one for you DDD:

                          [YOUTUBE]JylH74vByDs[/YOUTUBE]
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • il Padrino Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19161

                            #28
                            Yet another forgotten one, DDD....

                            [youtube]L4CbdGGl19o[/youtube]
                            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                            Comment

                            • il Padrino Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19161

                              #29
                              I decided to bump this thread, because for some reason, this song popped into my head. Another great recall:

                              [youtube]eshk1tId4eE[/youtube]

                              Yes, that is Bill Paxon. He was in this band.
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #30
                                wow that is another blast from the past. I love all things related to Mark Mothersbaugh.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...