The Avett Brothers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #16
    My daddy died about two years ago, and today I'm wallowing in missing him and beautiful music. This song is keeping me balanced:

    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJdrap19x5Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJdrap19x5Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

    If you have some good speakers, crank this one up, the sound quality is excellent.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • Tim
      Not Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 4390

      #17
      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      I will add one word of criticism about this live version. Lots of bands get tired of playing their own songs and when you go listen to them live they improvise a melody or sing a different melody or do other things with it so as to keep it interesting. I don't play your song every day. Please keep the melody close to true. It is the thing I came to hear. Creative arrangements, however, if done well can be very nice.
      I agree... however, the difference between the two Laundry Room videos wuap posted is about a year... Since the album is just now out, it's possible to imagine that in mid-2008 they were still working on the song. The version on NPR is much more like the album cut.

      EDIT: Oops, I posted this before I realized that wuap had posted a third version (which is also amazing). Rather than wade through and try and figure out which ones I was talking about, let me just say, "I agree."
      Last edited by Tim; 10-12-2009, 02:27 AM.
      Visca Catalunya Lliure

      Comment

      • Tim
        Not Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 4390

        #18
        Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        Laundry Room is serious contender for song of the year for me, though there are a few others. I'm still indebted to you for introducing me to these guys. Good stuff. Not exactly the same, but I find they are filling the void left when the Jayhawks broke up, for me.
        The Avett Brothers prove that wisdom often comes from the most unlikely of sources. They pack a powerful combo of entertainment and inspiration and I love them.
        Visca Catalunya Lliure

        Comment

        • Tim
          Not Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 4390

          #19
          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          I've become too aware of my mortality!

          Before "Laundry Room" this was their best song:

          [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Wl4C7tWLHs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Wl4C7tWLHs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
          Don't forget "Murder In The City."
          Visca Catalunya Lliure

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #20
            Originally posted by Tim View Post
            I agree... however, the difference between the two Laundry Room videos wuap posted is about a year... Since the album is just now out, it's possible to imagine that in mid-2008 they were still working on the song. The version on NPR is much more like the album cut.

            EDIT: Oops, I posted this before I realized that wuap had posted a third version (which is also amazing). Rather than wade through and try and figure out which ones I was talking about, let me just say, "I agree."
            I am pretty much convinced that this song is superior in a live setting than in the studio recording they've released. Every live version fills me with wonder and awe, and I can think back to those times dancing with an old girlfriend, my hand sliding against the small of her back through her silky dress as we danced in the church gym, my mind engaging in endless scenarios that never came to pass---of that palpable percolating lust that has filled my life back then.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #21
              Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Don't forget "Murder In The City."
              Unforgettable. Though, in concert, Scott sang it by himself, and it wasn't as good. It was the only thing that didn't sound as good or better live:

              [YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aE7rkSELM3I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aE7rkSELM3I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #22
                [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kmWIxnVBU7w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kmWIxnVBU7w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

                Bob Crawford sings lead on one verse.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • Levin
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 1152

                  #23
                  Wow. Just wow. Thanks for introducing me to this band.

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Levin View Post
                    Wow. Just wow. Thanks for introducing me to this band.
                    De nada. They make me believe that the world is full of beauty in spite of all the shit I have to deal with every day. A good friend of mine said the other day, "I never thought I would get wisdom about life from two kids from the mountains of North Carolina."
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Levin
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 1152

                      #25
                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      De nada. They make me believe that the world is full of beauty in spite of all the shit I have to deal with every day. A good friend of mine said the other day, "I never thought I would get wisdom about life from two kids from the mountains of North Carolina."
                      So it's 1:30 a.m. where I'm from, and I'm still listening to their music; so many gems. And Seth isn't even 30. That's an interesting story about Rick Rubin "discovering" them through youtube postings, and then producing I and Love and You. And then the comments from the fans who've been following them from the beginning, for 8 years, and buying the 5, 6, 7 I don't know how many past albums of theirs, and who are like, "yeah, nice 'discovery' Rick."

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #26
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        I am pretty much convinced that this song is superior in a live setting than in the studio recording they've released. Every live version fills me with wonder and awe, and I can think back to those times dancing with an old girlfriend, my hand sliding against the small of her back through her silky dress as we danced in the church gym, my mind engaging in endless scenarios that never came to pass---of that palpable percolating lust that has filled my life back then.
                        So, while "Laundry Room" succeeds in capturing that juvenile lust, this one nails down the 20's lust that we all felt. Check out these lyrics; they actually make me laugh out loud.

                        "Pretty Girl from Feltre"

                        Susanna, Italiana, what do you want to do?
                        I thought I had figured it out nut that was before you

                        Walking a mile into town
                        Hoping to see you around
                        Hoping your man is nowhere to be found
                        And hoping we'll go to your room
                        And hoping we'll go to your room

                        Quietly act like you love me until I leave Feltre
                        And when you learn of my return
                        Watch what the townspeople say

                        Riding in your cargo van
                        Driving your mom's cargo van
                        If you only knew how charming it was
                        The lure of your folks cargo van
                        The lure of your folks cargo van

                        Go tell Max
                        Be clear with the facts
                        Leave me a letter to there
                        I still have the one from before
                        From when I turned twenty four
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #27
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          So, while "Laundry Room" succeeds in capturing that juvenile lust, this one nails down the 20's lust that we all felt. Check out these lyrics; they actually make me laugh out loud.

                          "Pretty Girl from Feltre"
                          Here's a lo-fi video (why do people insist on talking at concerts?).
                          [YOUTUBE]
                          <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FxJJB3QHz8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FxJJB3QHz8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

                          It's not my favorite musically, but the lyrics and they delivery just cracks me up, laughing with the lyrics and remembering that burning lust of hope and allure.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • UtahDan
                            *
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14496

                            #28
                            Wuap are you a fan of Old Crow Medicine Show? Tennessee Pusher is one of my favorite albums from last year (though in truth I didn't really listen to it much until 2009). I think if you like one you will like the other, though OCMS is more produced.

                            [YOUTUBE]KBrx0heRem8[/YOUTUBE]

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #29
                              Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              Wuap are you a fan of Old Crow Medicine Show? Tennessee Pusher is one of my favorite albums from last year (though in truth I didn't really listen to it much until 2009). I think if you like one you will like the other, though OCMS is more produced.

                              [YOUTUBE]KBrx0heRem8[/YOUTUBE]
                              What I've heard of them on Pandora I've really liked. The roadie at the Avett Brothers concert I went to said that he hoped they would join up for a tour.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • MarkGrace
                                Grooveshark dick tease
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 31546

                                #30
                                New album is up on emusic. Just need my downloads to refresh.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                                Comment

                                Working...