Halt and Catch Fire

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Omaha 680
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 11183

    #1

    Halt and Catch Fire

    Anyone else giving this a shot? I am trying it out because of AMC's stellar record of the past 5 years, but so far I am unimpressed. It is mildly interesting, but I am not hooked by any means. We have determined to give it a couple more episodes.
  • Katy Lied
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 9435

    #2
    Tried it for 10 mins. Turned it off.

    Comment

    • The_Douger
      Athletic Supporter
      • Jun 2012
      • 5413

      #3
      We have the 2nd and 3rd episode on the DVR. We watched the first one last night. I don't think we'll watch it, but my wife wants to watch what we have.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

      Comment

      • Omaha 680
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 11183

        #4
        Just finished Episode 3. I think I'm out. They are trying so hard to make the main character the Don Draper of computers in the 80s that it's kind of embarrassing.

        Comment

        • Uncle Ted
          The Big 12 money shot.
          • Apr 2010
          • 28853

          #5
          Halt and Catch Fire is like a soap opera for computer engineeers so I guess you have to be one to appreciate it. It kind of reminds me of the book Soul of a New Machine. I finished Episode 4 and the plot seemed very familiar. Something like that actually happened to a not so famous computer company in Richardson, TX.

          Spoiler for Episode 4 Plot Spoiler:
          I heard from a friend that the Convex Computer Corporation lost a hard drive in a very similar way that happened in this show. The janitor plugged the vacuum into the same outlet as the computer and the brownout and surge caused the source code to be lost. Fortunately some very bright engineers saved the day.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • venkman
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 2199

            #6
            Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            Just finished Episode 3. I think I'm out. They are trying so hard to make the main character the Don Draper of computers in the 80s that it's kind of embarrassing.
            The gay* Don Draper of computers in the 80s.


            *not that there's anything wrong with that.
            "Remember to double tap"

            Comment

            Working...