Boyhood

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #1

    Boyhood

    I wouldn't normally start a whole thread dedicated to just one movie, but this one is so unique that I think it's worthy. The movie was shot over short periods of time between 2002 and 2013, showing the natural aging process of the actors, instead of using different actors to play one character in different stages of life. I'm really hoping that the movie measures up to its unique storytelling device. The interwebs tell me it comes out July 11. Here's the trailer:

  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    Since this thread will likely not go anywhere on its own, may I suggest that we open it up to discussion about "Boyz in da Hood" as well?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • Dwight Schr-ute
      Members Only
      • May 2011
      • 4917

      #3
      Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
      I wouldn't normally start a whole thread dedicated to just one movie, but this one is so unique that I think it's worthy. The movie was shot over short periods of time between 2002 and 2013, showing the natural aging process of the actors, instead of using different actors to play one character in different stages of life. I'm really hoping that the movie measures up to its unique storytelling device. The interwebs tell me it comes out July 11. Here's the trailer:

      I do like that Family of the Year song.
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

      Comment

      • I.J. Reilly
        Nobody's Fool
        • Apr 2009
        • 2949

        #4
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Since this thread will likely not go anywhere on its own, may I suggest that we open it up to discussion about "Boyz in da Hood" as well?
        Such a threadjack would be unprecedented on CS.

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #5
          Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
          I wouldn't normally start a whole thread dedicated to just one movie, but this one is so unique that I think it's worthy. The movie was shot over short periods of time between 2002 and 2013, showing the natural aging process of the actors, instead of using different actors to play one character in different stages of life. I'm really hoping that the movie measures up to its unique storytelling device. The interwebs tell me it comes out July 11. Here's the trailer:

          Heck, I was looking forward to hearing about your boyhood and then if it was interesting enough maybe others would chime in.

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #6
            This that linklater deal, right? Remember reading about it and thought it sounded interesting.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #7
              Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
              Such a threadjack would be unprecedented on CS.
              You're +30 years too late to get triples interest on this one.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                You're +30 years too late to get triples interest on this one.
                I really liked that movie
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Since this thread will likely not go anywhere on its own, may I suggest that we open it up to discussion about "Boyz in da Hood" as well?
                  What about ABC and BBD? The East Coast Family?

                  Comment

                  • old_gregg
                    scaly man fish
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 16915

                    #10
                    where do I recognize that kid from? younger version
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                    Comment

                    • cougjunkie
                      *Banned*
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 23223

                      #11
                      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      What about ABC and BBD? The East Coast Family?
                      You forgot Boyz II Men.

                      Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                      *Banned*

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 38003

                        #12
                        This looks very interesting. Big gamble casting a 6 year old kid and hoping he's a good actor 12 years later.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • PaloAltoCougar
                          Semper infra dignitatem
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 16940

                          #13
                          Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                          Just saw Boyhood. Not completely sure how I feel about it yet. It is certainly a movie everyone should see, if only because it isn't like anything you've ever seen before or will likely see again. I've heard a lot of critics say how warm of a film it is. I kind of came away with the opposite feeling. It felt a bit nihilistic and depressing to me. The performances were mixed. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette were amazing, as was Ellar Coltrane (the star of the film) in the latter part of the movie. The other performances were a bit shakier. The dialogue was a bit stilted too. I think it is one that I'll have to see again to decide if I actually like it or not. I'm guessing many people will.
                          I'm bringing UVA's review here from the Last Movie I Saw Thread, as I just read it following our view of the film (!) earlier this evening.

                          There aren’t any great themes, uplifts, downers or climaxes (in any sense ), but the movie is absolutely fascinating. Despite being 160 minutes long, it goes by quickly and you’ll want more. Because the characters are played by the same people throughout the film, it’s interesting to see how they change physically and emotionally through the course of the story. The scene where Ethan Hawke's father character lectures his daughter about the facts of life is awkward, funny and very real. The daughter, who is the real life offspring of the director Richard Linklater, is very good throughout the film. It’s filmed in Houston, Austin and San Marcos, Texas.

                          I don’t know that it deserves the many “Film of the Decade!” accolades it’s been receiving (I see it's at 99% on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.9 on IMDB), but it’s very, very well done. It's rated R for language, mainly from the mouth of a teenager played by the same kid who was Sid later in The Descendants.

                          Oh, and I guess one important theme is how a divorced man becomes an actuary (honest!) and develops into a better ex to his former wife, a better father to his kids, and lands a very nice younger woman the second time around.

                          Comment

                          • Green Monstah
                            Royal Rooter
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 13976

                            #14
                            Very cool movie. It was about 30 minutes too long, but the film showed some really poignant moments in the boy's life that I could relate to.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                            "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #15
                              Loved this film. It dragged a little in the middle but picked up at the end. Many of the scenes could have been taken from my family's life. My wife and daughter once had almost the identical exchange about a lizard's dewlap. That little bit caused us ( my daughter was with us) to break into peals of laughter.

                              A quiet film that makes it's point indirectly and simply, just like life does at times. And the aging if the actors never feels gimmicky even though it is sometimes surprising. Well worth seeing.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              Working...