Fargo TV series on FX

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CardiacCoug
    вот так штука
    • Nov 2008
    • 11013

    #1

    Fargo TV series on FX

    Pretty stoked for this. I have the feeling it will either be awesome or horrible.

    http://www.fxnetworks.com/fargo
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37996

    #2
    Pretty good cast. Looks like its more of a mini-series? Says limited 10 episode run.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • CardiacCoug
      вот так штука
      • Nov 2008
      • 11013

      #3
      First 7 minutes released online. I'll watch.

      Comment

      • Non Sequitur
        Where did I put my bodkin
        • Nov 2008
        • 5773

        #4
        I liked it a lot. Billy Bob Thorton is great. I wish he worked more.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

        Comment

        • SteelBlue
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 8189

          #5
          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
          I liked it a lot. Billy Bob Thorton is great. I wish he worked more.
          I like it a lot too, and I agree that Billy Bob was excellent. I'm in.

          My two favorite scenes were 1) the "see, until today, you thought there were rules/we used to be apes" speech, and 2) the showdown between Thornton and Collin Hanks "you either walk away, to your daughter and the light, or you walk into the darkness with me". Great stuff.
          Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM.

          Comment

          • Color Me Badd Fan
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 12519

            #6
            Both Sepinwall and Greenwald said the same thing -- that the pilot was the most disappointing thing about the series and that the remainder is outstanding. I thought the pilot itself was outstanding, the best TV pilot I've seen in years. I can't wait to see the rest of it.

            To clarify, Greenwald seems to indicate that he's seen the whole thing. Sepinwall said that he's seen four episodes. Greenwald says the the middle and end is tremendous. Sepinwall says it gets significantly better.

            Greenwald speculates that Fargo will be an anthology series like True Detective and American Horrror Story. It's a great idea because you can get better actors and directors when they know they don't have to make a multi-season commitment. Additionally, TV has evolved into something that can tell better stories than movies because they have more time to tell them. You can't get guys like McConaughy, Martin Freeman and Thornton to do a seven season cable TV show arc, it won't happen. A lot of actors probably want to dabble with elite TV productions because it can stretch their limits and improve their resume. When you're dealing with the multi-season, same characters/story, structure, you can only hope to capture lightening in a bottle like Breaking Bad did with Bryan Cranston.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69732

              #7
              Very nice pilot. Different plot line but totally derivative of the Fargo movie, but that is OK (and what I expected). Actually, the best way to characterize it is a cross between Fargo and No Country for Old Men, with a dash of humor thrown in. Billy Bob Thorton character is great.

              Wow, the last 10-15 minutes were intense. Interesting to see where they take it from here.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • CardiacCoug
                вот так штука
                • Nov 2008
                • 11013

                #8
                I liked it too. Great acting. Stayed true to the style and feel of the original with similar characters. But I'm glad the plot is different to keep it unpredictable.

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69732

                  #9
                  So the Billy Bob character is clearly an homage to the Anton Chigurh character from No Country for Old Men. There was also a scene in a bar where they had a sign showing a special on white russians, a nod to The Big Lebowski. Were there any other Coen Brothers hints/nuggets/easter eggs I missed?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Color Me Badd Fan
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12519

                    #10
                    The episode last night drew a direct connection to the movie. It's not a huge part of the overall plot, but it was a gift to those that love the movie (which should be everyone who's seen it).

                    One quibble I have is the ease with how Billy Bob gets out of the police station. The female cop is smart while the cops in charge are too dumb to be entirely believable.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                    Comment

                    • SteelBlue
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8189

                      #11
                      Apparently Mormons like being watched while they eat.

                      Comment

                      • CardiacCoug
                        вот так штука
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 11013

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        The episode last night drew a direct connection to the movie. It's not a huge part of the overall plot, but it was a gift to those that love the movie (which should be everyone who's seen it).

                        One quibble I have is the ease with how Billy Bob gets out of the police station. The female cop is smart while the cops in charge are too dumb to be entirely believable.
                        Yep I loved the way they had him look up and down the fence line like that when he found the money. Awesome.

                        And MORMONS get a shout out.

                        Comment

                        • Bruiserstone
                          Junior Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • 97

                          #13
                          I have really enjoyed Fargo so far, but I am also a huge fan of the film. Billy Bob is great. Even Colin Hanks is redeeming himself after his horrible turn on Dexter.

                          Comment

                          • jay santos
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 13652

                            #14
                            Just got caught up on this. Holy Crap what a great episode.

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69732

                              #15
                              Key and Peele as FBI agents.

                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              Working...