Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know this streams on Amazon Instant Video?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just never could get into MM.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      I've been rewatching the entire series, and I'm presently halfway through season 7. I think the "Season 7 was bad" take is something people say because 1) Season 7 wasn't quite as good as some of the other Mad Men seasons, and because 2) people feel like it's an accurate take because they've heard many other MM watchers say the same thing. In fact, I have said it before, and I would have said it 2 months ago before I started rewatching. But it's a misnomer. Season 7 is good TV.

Season 7 gives us some great story lines and introduces some fun characters: Don on the outs, providing work through freelancing Freddy; Lou Avery as one of the biggest assholes the series has seen (which is saying something); Don erasing all of his partnership leverage and taking a crappy deal just to get back to work; Peggy as Don's boss; the entire BurgerChef courtship and campaign; Bertram Cooper's timely demise; Pete Campbell managing, yet again, to bag one of the hottest characters on the show (over the course of the series, Pete gets with 3 of the 6 hottest women in the entire series. He subsequently marries one of them in real life, btw); Don getting the scoop from a drunk Harry Crane about a meeting with Phillip Morris, and then crashing the meeting; Henry going off on Betty because she has the gall to have a political opinion other than his (and revealing himself as a true, two-faces politician); Jim Cutler attempting a coup (and failing); Harry Crane getting overzealous in his partnership negotiations and missing out on millions of dollars; Don and Megan finally ending it (finally--in fact, the biggest blight on Season 7 is that Megan is still around for it. Unacceptable.). I could go on, and that's just through the first half of the season.

By the time Season 7 rolled around (2014), we had been spoiled by Breaking Bad and it's meteoric rise. In fact, most people (myself included) really discovered BB when it was already 2-3 seasons in, and then followed it until it concluded (2013). After that, it was a long wait for Season 7 of Mad Men, and when we finally got it, it seemed a bit anticlimactic in comparison. The timing of the two AMC shows' conclusions made it impossible not to compare them. This comparison resulted in the promulgation of the "Season 7 was bad" theory, which was then proliferated just because. 5 years removed, Season 7 holds up just fine. While maybe it's not quite as good as some of Mad Men's best seasons, it's still better than the best seasons of most other TV shows. Plus, Season 7 gave us Bobby Draper as a BYU fan. What more do you want?
      I concur. on my first watching I thought S7 was ok and I legitimately thought the finale sucked (though unlike GOT dragon nerds I didnt petition to have it remade to my specifications). On the 2nd viewing, I realized how good of job Weiner did of wrapping things up. Don comforting the poor unloved shlub at the commune was legitimately touching. Talking with Peggy then Sally, had me bawling. Then DD has the inspiration to come up with one of the 2 or 3 most iconic ads of all time. The end game was non a Breaking Bad 10/10, but my re-review raised from a 4 to an 8.5.

Comment

• Anyone watched Good Omens? I binged it on a flights this week.
        Has a nice style. And some nice subtle humor.
        I liked the message a lot.
        I intend to live forever.
        So far, so good.
        --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
          Anyone watched Good Omens? I binged it on a flights this week.
          Has a nice style. And some nice subtle humor.
          I liked the message a lot.
          I almost started watching it last night. But then I didn't.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Watched the first couple of episodes of Good Omens today. Pretty good so far.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Just finished Chernobyl. Wow. The last episode and the real footage afterwards was pretty much the best TV I've seen in a long time.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Watched the first couple of episodes of Good Omens today. Pretty good so far.
                The first few episodes were much more enjoyable than the last few.
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Finished season 3 of Bosch. Best show on Prime, IMO

Comment

• Working my way (slowly) through Romanoffs. Just finished episode 6. I’ve enjoyed most of the episodes, although I wouldn’t call any of them great. I found episode 6 almost unbearable though. They were trying so hard to make it something profound and it came off, but the Mexican guy was so insufferable. The mom wasn’t impressive either. I’ve heard episode 7 is the best one, so excited to watch it.

Comment

• The War of 1812.

I don't remember much from school about the War of 1812. My recollection was that they taught that the British regretted our getting away and wanted to re-subjugate the states; that the conflict was a second war for independence.

Really, it seems that the war was instigated by the warhawk faction within the United States, trying to claim territory from Canada while the British were busy fighting Napoleon in Europe. And they didn't like their merchant ships being stopped by the Royal Navy on their way to France with some of their (formerly British) crews being conscripted into his/her Majesty's service.

Kind of shocking that the land battles were so disastrous for the significantly larger US forces while they had their best success on the water against the world's best navy at the time. Interesting show.
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        The first few episodes were much more enjoyable than the last few.
                        Agreed. First half was strong, second half of the season felt almost like a network tv offering.

Comment

• Has anyone watched The Expanse? I've just started Season 1. In Episode 3 a singular Mormon missionary approaches one of the stars.

They are part of the organization, unwittingly, that forms the terrorists. They are creating a ship called the Nauvoo.
                          Last edited by Topper; 07-27-2019, 01:23 PM.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                            Has anyone watched The Expanse? I've just started Season 1. In Episode 3 a singular Mormon missionary approaches one of the stars.

They are part of the organization, unwittingly, that forms the terrorists. They are creating a ship called the Nauvoo.
                            Great show.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              Great show.
                              Great plot, good characters and acting. I binged today on it.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                                Great plot, good characters and acting. I binged today on it.
                                I also recommend The Last Kingdom on Netflix.

Comment

Working...
                                X