Best Written TV Series

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16936

    #1

    Best Written TV Series

    The Writers Guild of America has put out a list of the all-time best written TV series, and it's tough to argue with their choices--there are a lot of really good shows there, although I think it might be slightly biased toward more current fare. On the other hand, I think the past few years have been a golden age for TV in many ways, so it's hard to quibble.

    Which shows do you think are the most underrated and overrated on the list? I'd go with St. Elsewhere as the most underrated (it's 46 and I think it's a worthy Top 20 candidate), and with Friends as the most overrated (I suppose it's my age that made me think it was somewhat less clever than the 24 ranking it was given).

    And I confess to never having watched The Sopranos, however we have recently added HBO to our viewing package so I suspect a major binge-watching spree may be in the offing. See you guys next month.
  • Donuthole
    Official Outgayer
    • Nov 2008
    • 25268

    #2
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The Writers Guild of America has put out a list of the all-time best written TV series, and it's tough to argue with their choices--there are a lot of really good shows there, although I think it might be slightly biased toward more current fare. On the other hand, I think the past few years have been a golden age for TV in many ways, so it's hard to quibble.

    Which shows do you think are the most underrated and overrated on the list? I'd go with St. Elsewhere as the most underrated (it's 46 and I think it's a worthy Top 20 candidate), and with Friends as the most overrated (I suppose it's my age that made me think it was somewhat less clever than the 24 ranking it was given).

    And I confess to never having watched The Sopranos, however we have recently added HBO to our viewing package so I suspect a major binge-watching spree may be in the offing. See you guys next month.
    Lost? Well-written? lol Yeah, that list has some problems.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

    Comment

    • clackamascoug
      Banned
      • Dec 2009
      • 9709

      #3
      Boston Legal.

      The last five minutes with Shatner and Spader smoking and drinking = good writing.

      Comment

      • Sullyute
        a day late/a dollar short
        • Jul 2010
        • 3308

        #4
        I think that saturday night live is over rated in this list. There has definitely been some good jokes and skits thru the years but there has been plenty of crap too.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

        Comment

        • UVACoug
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 2685

          #5
          Sopranos is very overrated. I wouldn't even put it in the top ten. The list was created to be controversial, in order to get buzz.

          Modern Family at 34 (and above Twin Peaks)? Give me a break! I loved the first season of that show, but it has been crap since then. Shouldn't even be on the list.

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69706

            #6
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            And I confess to never having watched The Sopranos, however we have recently added HBO to our viewing package so I suspect a major binge-watching spree may be in the offing. See you guys next month.
            The Sopranos is fantastic. Great series.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Non Sequitur
              Where did I put my bodkin
              • Nov 2008
              • 5773

              #7
              The Newsroom and The Unit are two shows I would put on the list. I would also have The Shield a lot higher.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

              Comment

              • Color Me Badd Fan
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 12519

                #8
                I didn't see the Rockford Files on the list and it was written by the creator and writer of the Sopranos. It also was a highly regarded show in its day.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                Comment

                • CardiacCoug
                  вот так штука
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 11013

                  #9
                  I watched every single episode of the Sopranos and PAC you've gotta binge watch it -- it's a worthy number one.

                  The Shield would be in my top ten. That first season just blew me away when I saw that. I think I was in my last year of med school and hadn't watched much TV in years -- borrowed the first season DVD from a friend and never realized a TV show could be that entertaining.

                  I would put Curb Your Enthusiasm and Louie higher too but that is just my style of comedy -- love those shows.

                  Comment

                  • CardiacCoug
                    вот так штука
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 11013

                    #10
                    And yeah I watched Friends but I don't think it's any better written than today's popular sitcoms like Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory.

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #11
                      Is Curb Your Enthusiasm even written. Doesn't Larry David essentially come up with an outline of the episode and the actors just adlib?

                      I think Mad Men is better written than the Sopranos. I also think Seinfeld was a good call. Justified will one day be on this list
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • Donuthole
                        Official Outgayer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 25268

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        Justified will one day be on this list
                        And that day is today!
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                        Comment

                        • ERCougar
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10978

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          The Newsroom and The Unit are two shows I would put on the list. I would also have The Shield a lot higher.
                          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          I watched every single episode of the Sopranos and PAC you've gotta binge watch it -- it's a worthy number one.

                          The Shield would be in my top ten. That first season just blew me away when I saw that. I think I was in my last year of med school and hadn't watched much TV in years -- borrowed the first season DVD from a friend and never realized a TV show could be that entertaining.

                          I would put Curb Your Enthusiasm and Louie higher too but that is just my style of comedy -- love those shows.
                          Seriously, how is the Shield not much, much higher?

                          Agree on CYE and Louie.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                          Comment

                          • Color Me Badd Fan
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12519

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            And that day is today!
                            For some reason, I thought the list compiled the top 50 shows.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                            Comment

                            Working...