The Smack Off

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #1

    The Smack Off

    Tomorrow is the 15th Annual Jim Rome Jungle Smack Off. One of my favorite springtime activities is taking a long lunch while listening to the smack off, then closing the office doors to hear random strangers make fun of each other with hilarious references. I've listened to at least part of every smack off for the past nine years. I hope this is the year that Terrence in Sierra Madre finally pulls through.

  • MarkGrace
    Grooveshark dick tease
    • Dec 2008
    • 31546

    #2
    I think the last time I listened to the Smack Off was my Sr. year in HS. I think that's probably the last time I listened to Rome in general. I also went to his tour stop in SLC that year.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

    Comment

    • MartyFunkhouser
      Disciple of RNGesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 18751

      #3
      Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      I think the last time I listened to the Smack Off was my Sr. year in HS. I think that's probably the last time I listened to Rome in general. I also went to his tour stop in SLC that year.
      I used to hate Jim Rome, but I have really come to enjoy his show. He is one of the best interviewers out there. I have actually never listened to a smack off before. I am actually hoping that Chad in Portland wins it.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #4
        I love the Smack Off. Excited for tomorrow. We had a running commentary on CB last year. Maybe we can do one here on CUF.

        I actually thought Vic in NoCal did a good job last year in his attempt to go wire to wire. I liked his Sopranos ending, as well.

        Last year had some great oldies calling in....Iafrate, Jay Mohr, Doc Mike Ditola, Jeff in Richmond. I wish the Cablinasian could participate.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • YOhio
          Hipster Mode
          • Nov 2008
          • 26165

          #5
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Last year had some great oldies calling in....Iafrate, Jay Mohr, Doc Mike Ditola, Jeff in Richmond. I wish the Cablinasian could participate.
          Did you know Iafrate is a rabbi? The Jeff in Richmond year was one of my favorites.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #6
            Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Did you know Iafrate is a rabbi? The Jeff in Richmond year was one of my favorites.
            From THE COMMONWEALTH......OF VUH-GINYA.......*breathes heavily*
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • Color Me Badd Fan
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2009
              • 12519

              #7
              Back in 2001, Jim in Fall River had some donkey braying in the background during his phone call. I was listening to it live and the rest of the program revolved around ripping on Jim and the donkey, it was hilarious. When someone emailed that Jim In Fall River needed to "fix the damn hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon" I just about lost it.
              Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 05-08-2009, 09:55 AM.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #8
                I just started listening. Dang it I missed Terrence in Sierra Madre.

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  My money is on Brad in Corona.

                  I enjoyed Vic in NoCal, but Brad was better. Iafrate was good and said some funny stuff, but I don't think his call was good enough.

                  Terrence was the same....solid, but not quite good enough.

                  Joe in OC.....disappointing. Getting run IN the smackoff is not an easy thing to do.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #10
                    lol. Jay Mohr calling from the set of Monk.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • YOhio
                      Hipster Mode
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26165

                      #11
                      Lot's of Susan Boyle references this go around.

                      Comment

                      • YOhio
                        Hipster Mode
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26165

                        #12
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        lol. Jay Mohr calling from the set of Monk.
                        I can't believe he didn't get run for the Michelle Obama - Count von Count comparison.

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #13
                          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          I can't believe he didn't get run for the Michelle Obama - Count von Count comparison.
                          He gets lots of leeway because he is a celeb. Always has.

                          He once did this bit about how Mike Hampton looks like a gay Curious George. Regular callers couldn't get away with that.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • YOhio
                            Hipster Mode
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26165

                            #14
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            He gets lots of leeway because he is a celeb. Always has.

                            He once did this bit about how Mike Hampton looks like a gay Curious George. Regular callers couldn't get away with that.
                            A few years ago he was temporarily banned for from hosting the Jungle for some crude comments about the recently deceased Ronald Reagan and Muhammad Ali.

                            Comment

                            • MartyFunkhouser
                              Disciple of RNGesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 18751

                              #15
                              Chad in Portland comes strong and represents PDX well.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

                              Comment

                              Working...