Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wanna see that! The official "doesn't merit its own thread" movie trailer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    dune is a great book.
    Maybe I'll read it instead of see this great looking movie, since I was just shamed by JL.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
      Maybe I'll read it instead of see this great looking movie, since I was just shamed by JL.
      Go see the movie and then read the book. Problem solved.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        Go see the movie and then read the book. Problem solved.
        Can't decide which one I would rather ruin....
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          It has been over 40 years since I read the first Dune book. I was so captivated by it that I then read all of the sequels, including those bastard hybrids that were actually written by Frank Herbert's son and which were, to be honest, awful. Because so much time has gone by, I hesitate to wholeheartedly endorse the book because sometimes going home again can be a little disappointing. But personally I remain enthusiastic about it.

The book was amazing to me when I read it. it was full of sometimes obvious but still very enjoyable commentary on ecology, politics, gender roles, strategy and more. Of all the science fiction books I read, and there were more than a few, that first book has stuck with me. If you like science fiction, and if you are willing to remember the book was written decades ago, I think it is well worth it. I don't really think you need to start with the appendices or terminology guides or whatever. But you could and it wouldn't matter.
          I only read the first book I guess because I heard about how bad the son's were and I got into Asimov's Foundation series. Speaking of which, I am excited for this as well:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Not sure what to think...

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
              Not sure what to think...]
              Looks like a feel-good Christmas movie for the whole family, including the cheery news that Blitzen will "tear your package clean off."

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                Not sure what to think...

I will watch anything with Walter Goggins in it!
                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• I was surprised to see Hillbilly Elegy is a Ron Howard movie (November release on Netflix) starring Amy Adams and Glenn Close as the mother and grandmother. With that focus, the movie looks more depressing than the book...

Comment

• So excited for the gloriously cheesy Cosmic Sin starring Bruce Willis dropping on demand next month. Complete with Ender-levels of angst. So wat' cha just extinguished a planet.

Comment

• I am sure there are a bunch of y'all that want to see this one...

or maybe you saw it already. Post your review.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The glut of Superhero movies (I find superhero combat to be painfully boring, esp. when it comprises the bulk of a movie) has greatly reduced the number of our cineplex visits. I'm looking forward to better offerings coming out in the coming weeks. Here are two I'm interested in, recognizing they might be a bit cloying, but count me in.

I've enjoyed nearly every version of A Christmas Carol...

I'll watch any Tom Hanks movie--most have been winners and I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I'll watch any Tom Hanks movie--most have been winners and I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.
                          I love Tom Hanks, but why on earth do we feel like we have remake and Americanize every decent foreign movie? Good grief.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I love Tom Hanks, but why on earth do we feel like we have remake and Americanize every decent foreign movie? Good grief.
                            is there an Ove movie?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I know it received multiple awards, but we never saw the Swedish original (A Man Called Ove, BP)

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

is there an Ove movie?
                                Yeah. It had two Oscar nominations.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080728/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X