Why the Music Industry Sucks

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1

    Why the Music Industry Sucks

    So, in an effort to keep my students from pirating all the reggae songs that I plan to listen to and discuss in my class, I've been contacting record labels about licensing the songs in order to find out if I can burn some CDs for them to buy, and then send the money to the labels.

    I've been told:

    "We only entertain licenses of a minimum 25,000 units"

    "You have to get rights to the publishing and the audio recordings, we license the recordings, and ASCAP/BMI licenses the publishing."

    "Man, this is going to be very difficult to do."

    That the music industry doesn't have a webpage wherein I can go and and purchase songs to use, like iTunes, and then burn them to CDs that my students buy, or that my students can just do on their own is a reason why the industry is dying.

    Copyright law is too strong in this country. I can claim fair use in my classroom, but I'm trying to encourage these kids to make an investment in the music and support that artists. The industry doesn't want to entertain my request because I'm too small. At least ASCAP/BMI says "9.1 cent flat rate per song."

    The music labels want a king's ransom just to do what I want.

    I'm leaning towards just creating a webpage with links to last.fm and Youtube videos of the music.

    The life of the artist + 70 years is out of control. I'd like copyright to be like a patent. Elvis died when I was a little kid. I'll be 74 before his music comes into the public domain if the law doesn't get amended to make it even longer before then.

    I own one copyright, and I'd license it gratis for academic purposes.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #2
    For several years I really wanted to work in the music industry as an A&R guy. I studied the ins and outs of the system, copyright law, the business model, read books, wrote papers on industry related topics, etc. All of this investigation led me to one conclusion, I couldn't work in the music business. It was at the time that the industry was really fighting Napster and I looked at what they were doing and knew that their days were numbered. I thought just about as hard as I could on it and couldn't come up with a tenable, long-term solution to the industry's problem. I knew that if I kept pursuing my dream to work in A&R I would one day in the near future go into work and find myself without a job.

    The industry is getting a little better but there is still no long term solution that is backed by a workable business model. Good luck in your quest.

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12382

      #3
      Tom Petty has fought the Music Industry over the years. Here is an interesting read on how pissed he is: http://www.arcanology.com/2002/11/02...usic-industry/

      Comment

      • il Padrino Ute
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 19161

        #4
        Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Tom Petty has fought the Music Industry over the years. Here is an interesting read on how pissed he is: http://www.arcanology.com/2002/11/02...usic-industry/
        That was a great read, BP. Thanks for that link.
        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

        Comment

        Working...