Ender's Game movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    genuine literary creativity (including the creation of scripture) involves a "misreading" of the prior texts, including often an ironic reading that may even tend to reveal previously unappreciated virtues as well as darker aspects of the older texts.
    Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
      Oh, you're still quite orthodox in your own way.

I actually think that you're right, though. Every writer needs a muse, even if it is an ideologically deplorable one. Whitman had a naive view of American democracy, Yeats had his theosophy and Order of the Golden Dawn nonsense, Neruda had his thoroughly misguided and naive views about communism. I would simply disagree with you that ETB's or Skousen's political ranting evinces any trace of genius or insight whatsoever. Their unyielding extremism on certain political topics is not insightful at all but rather mad. There is a difference.

I do agree that there is a sort of beauty about non-correlated Mormon thought thought that is dying out.
      I think you fail to appreciate the widespread extent to which a tolerance or even apathy or defeatism had set in at the highest level of government and academia about Communism (Kissinger said some appalling things; I had marxist professors in the econ department at the U in the early eighties/late seventies). I'm not saying Communism ever in the slightest measure threatened our democracy or security in America. But it enslaved and murdered literally billions of people in a global, systematic and coordinated way. Rand, Benson, and skousen were right in their uncompromising condemnation and hatred of Communism. Even this much of their writings was considered fringe at that time, and that's alarming.

Communism would not have been defeated but for NATO and U.S. sponsorship of NATO and containment.
      Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        To be sure, you did say crackpot or reprehensible. You're so sympathetic of Ayn Rand when her demons are your demons. You condemn LDS writers when their religious influences are what you've already rejected.

I am curious about your opinion of authors like Evelyn Waugh and Graham Greene, brilliant writers specifically and thoroughly driven by religious influences. Or is it only LDS religious influences that you despise?
        Rand's main probem with religion was that before communism and fascism it was the Big Brother -- for thousands of years. Communism and fascism in fact aped religious institutions. Communists even referred to their "faith" in their totalitarian systems as essential.

Belief is probably harmless, but it seems inevitably to lead to humans oppressing other humans.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Rand's main probem with religion was that before communism and fascism it was the Big Brother -- for thousands of years. Communism and fascism in fact aped religious institutions. Communists even referred to their "faith" in their totalitarian systems as essential.

Belief is probably harmless, but it seems inevitably to lead to humans oppressing other humans.
          Yep, I had more than one Ukrainian tell me that an LDS Fast and Testimony Meeting reminded them a great deal of a typical Soviet-era Communist Party meeting. People take turns getting up and saying how and why they believe the Church/Communism is so wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            alright, he's still got more writing skilz in his pinkie than I have in my whole body, but Lisey's Story? Really?
            That was pure crap, I will give you that.

Comment

Bought my tickets today. Feeling cautiously optimistic. Love the casting, have faith in the writing.

Comment

Trailer looks great, but the reviews are mixed. Not sure the big plot twist translates well to the movie format. Some reviews confirm this.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                  Bought my tickets today. Feeling cautiously optimistic. Love the casting, have faith in the writing.
                  I'm prepared to be satisfied but not blown away. Knowing the whole story beforehand doesn't help with the surprises and twists. It's like watching the LotR or Harry Potter movies, you just hope they don't screw it up too much. The LotR was great, but most of the HP movies were lackluster (although I really enjoyed #6).
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Trailer looks great, but the reviews are mixed. Not sure the big plot twist translates well to the movie format. Some reviews confirm this.
                    74% on rotten tomatoes so far. better than I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I'm prepared to be satisfied but not blown away. Knowing the whole story beforehand doesn't help with the surprises and twists. It's like watching the LotR or Harry Potter movies, you just hope they don't screw it up too much. The LotR was great, but most of the HP movies were lackluster (although I really enjoyed #6).
                      Six was an utter waste of time. Not really the movie's fault, though. The book is also largely a waste of time.

Comment

I saw this last night (not sure how, as the posters in the theater said it wasn't opening until today and I saw it at 8:30).

I thought it was pretty solid. I would have liked to see a few more of the training battles between the teams, as that was my favorite part of the book, but of course time is limited. I can't say any of the performances were incredible, but they didn't detract from the story either. I'd give it 7.5/10.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'm cutting out early to see this on the IMAX- if only to support the flick and make this a culmination of how long I've been waiting for it to come out. I'm pretty stoked that it's not an embarrassment, as was threatened by the first trailers that came out. I think I'll like it.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I too watched it last night. Not having read the books, I thought the film was decent. My commander recommended I read them--says they're mandatory reading in the Marine Corps.

Comment

A local op-ed piece on whether one should boycott the movie because of OSC's strong anti-gay marriage stand. (Answer: it's up to you. Thanks!).

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                A local op-ed piece on whether one should boycott the movie because of OSC's strong anti-gay marriage stand. (Answer: it's up to you. Thanks!).
                                Saw it today. Love the book, felt the movie did a fine job with the source material. Perhaps would have been better served with two movies? But maybe not. Hard to translate.

I don't agree with Card's stance on same-sex marriage, but there's no reason to boycott this movie. There's nothing hateful or bigoted in Ender's Game. You will not be supporting an evil message by watching this show.

There are plenty of actors and directors in Hollywood who have personal views I absolutely disagree with. I still see their stuff. Maybe it makes me a hypocrite, I dunno.

Comment

Working...
                                X