Podcast Central

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37988

    #121
    Serial - Season 2 was released today. This season focuses on Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/bu...ssey.html?_r=1
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Northwestcoug
      Cocked and Loaded
      • May 2011
      • 18029

      #122
      Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Serial - Season 2 was released today. This season focuses on Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/bu...ssey.html?_r=1
      Just started it. Seems like an interesting story. Should be good!
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #123
        I bet she comes to the conclusion he's not guilty.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • cougjunkie
          *Banned*
          • Nov 2008
          • 23223

          #124
          Podcasts are still a thing?
          *Banned*

          Comment

          • All-American
            Right, as Usual
            • Nov 2008
            • 15669

            #125
            Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            Podcasts are still a thing?
            More so than ever, it seems.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #126
              Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              Podcasts are still a thing?
              I show what podcast I'm listening to on my snapstory.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • Northwestcoug
                Cocked and Loaded
                • May 2011
                • 18029

                #127
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                I bet she comes to the conclusion he's not guilty.
                Hey! I just started listening!
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37988

                  #128
                  Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  I bet she comes to the conclusion he's not guilty.
                  Not guilty of abandoning his post? I don't think he's even disputing that.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Clark Addison
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10312

                    #129
                    Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                    I was not a big fan of the Invisibilia episode that was hosted on Radiolab a few weeks back. Based on it, I declined to give it a try. "I think this one will get better with time" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, either, so I think I will still refrain

                    If a month or two down the road you are still on board, let us know, and maybe I will give it another shot.
                    I am starting to think that the Radiolab guys know how to put out a great podcast, but have terrible taste in other people's. As I said in this post, the "Invisibilia" one they hosted got a solid "meh" from me. Yesterday, I listened to "The Cathedral", which was from the "Reply All" podcast. Frankly, I kind of hated it.

                    Comment

                    • Northwestcoug
                      Cocked and Loaded
                      • May 2011
                      • 18029

                      #130
                      Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      I am starting to think that the Radiolab guys know how to put out a great podcast, but have terrible taste in other people's. As I said in this post, the "Invisibilia" one they hosted got a solid "meh" from me. Yesterday, I listened to "The Cathedral", which was from the "Reply All" podcast. Frankly, I kind of hated it.
                      I'm curious. What did you hate about it? I thought it was pretty moving. I'm even contemplating buying that computer game, just to support the family.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37988

                        #131
                        Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        I'm curious. What did you hate about it? I thought it was pretty moving. I'm even contemplating buying that computer game, just to support the family.
                        Is that the game where you get to play the parents of a kid that dies from cancer? I heard a brief NPR story about it and thought "why in the hell would anyone ever play that game?"
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Northwestcoug
                          Cocked and Loaded
                          • May 2011
                          • 18029

                          #132
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Is that the game where you get to play the parents of a kid that dies from cancer? I heard a brief NPR story about it and thought "why in the hell would anyone ever play that game?"
                          Yes. If I bought it I don't think I'd ever play. But it's something like 17 bucks, and I was moved enough by his story to support the cause.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

                          Comment

                          • old_gregg
                            scaly man fish
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 16915

                            #133
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Serial - Season 2 was released today. This season focuses on Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

                            http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/bu...ssey.html?_r=1
                            so turns out at least the first two episodes of this are pretty boring. i don't get what the mystery is here
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                            Comment

                            • Clark Addison
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10312

                              #134
                              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              I'm curious. What did you hate about it? I thought it was pretty moving. I'm even contemplating buying that computer game, just to support the family.
                              Probably is mostly to do with me being a cold, hard-hearted cynic, and you being a nice guy, but other than that, I would list the reasons as follows. I will say that some of my dislike was based on assumptions and guesses that may be wrong on my part.

                              1. This may sound weird coming from an active Mormon, but I really disliked a lot of the religious aspects. I think that religion can be a great comfort when facing mortality, but everything about their religious experience seemed to me the opposite. From the woman at their church who "prophesied" that their son had great things to do in his life, to the prayer meeting they had, to their belief that their son would be raised from the dead. All of it seemed to be based on denial and the supernatural than in trying to understand life and death. The mother even admitted that a lot of this stuff left them unprepared for his death. In the end, I really had a SeattleUte-type of reaction to their church. I will return to this point a couple of times.

                              2. When he first started talking about the video game, it was around "what if you created a game where all of your choices are bad". I thought that was interesting initial concept that could be explored. What if you did create a game with no right answers? But he didn't really explore that. He just basically told the story of his son's battle with cancer. I think he had an interesting concept that he failed to explore.

                              3. The speech he made at the video game show was just way too evangelical Christian for me

                              4. As Falafel said, the more they talked about the game, the more I thought "Who would possibly want to play this?"

                              5. I admit that I am totally guessing on this one, but the podcast talked about the investors in the game, and how they thought this was some sort of bold new frontier. My hunch throughout hearing about it was that the investors are from some sort of faith-based organization, and their investment is more about proselyting than it is about pushing the boundaries of video games. Feel free to tell me I am full of crap on this one if that is not the case.

                              6. I was kind of annoyed when I heard Jad and Rob gush about the detail, the graphics, and the visual beauty of the game. Again, this was a guess, but I was thinking that while I was not much of a gamer, I would bet that Jad and Rob have not played video games since their Atari days, and wouldn't know good graphics from terrible ones. I did go and look at the video on the developer's site, and from what I can see it looks like graphics from 5 years ago, nothing special at all.

                              7. I dislike forced sentimentality, and the scenes from the game they played seemed full of it.

                              I could probably come up with a few more things, but I probably already sound like an unfeeling curmudgeon. I did have a lot of sympathy for the family, but that didn't stop me from disliking the story.

                              Comment

                              • Northwestcoug
                                Cocked and Loaded
                                • May 2011
                                • 18029

                                #135
                                Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                                Probably is mostly to do with me being a cold, hard-hearted cynic, and you being a nice guy, but other than that, I would list the reasons as follows. I will say that some of my dislike was based on assumptions and guesses that may be wrong on my part.

                                1. This may sound weird coming from an active Mormon, but I really disliked a lot of the religious aspects. I think that religion can be a great comfort when facing mortality, but everything about their religious experience seemed to me the opposite. From the woman at their church who "prophesied" that their son had great things to do in his life, to the prayer meeting they had, to their belief that their son would be raised from the dead. All of it seemed to be based on denial and the supernatural than in trying to understand life and death. The mother even admitted that a lot of this stuff left them unprepared for his death. In the end, I really had a SeattleUte-type of reaction to their church. I will return to this point a couple of times.

                                2. When he first started talking about the video game, it was around "what if you created a game where all of your choices are bad". I thought that was interesting initial concept that could be explored. What if you did create a game with no right answers? But he didn't really explore that. He just basically told the story of his son's battle with cancer. I think he had an interesting concept that he failed to explore.

                                3. The speech he made at the video game show was just way too evangelical Christian for me

                                4. As Falafel said, the more they talked about the game, the more I thought "Who would possibly want to play this?"

                                5. I admit that I am totally guessing on this one, but the podcast talked about the investors in the game, and how they thought this was some sort of bold new frontier. My hunch throughout hearing about it was that the investors are from some sort of faith-based organization, and their investment is more about proselyting than it is about pushing the boundaries of video games. Feel free to tell me I am full of crap on this one if that is not the case.

                                6. I was kind of annoyed when I heard Jad and Rob gush about the detail, the graphics, and the visual beauty of the game. Again, this was a guess, but I was thinking that while I was not much of a gamer, I would bet that Jad and Rob have not played video games since their Atari days, and wouldn't know good graphics from terrible ones. I did go and look at the video on the developer's site, and from what I can see it looks like graphics from 5 years ago, nothing special at all.

                                7. I dislike forced sentimentality, and the scenes from the game they played seemed full of it.

                                I could probably come up with a few more things, but I probably already sound like an unfeeling curmudgeon. I did have a lot of sympathy for the family, but that didn't stop me from disliking the story.
                                I get the dislike of the evangelical Christian aspect of it. I found it off-putting as well. I did mentally shake my head at that weird prayer meeting. I will be honest, when the child began improving, I got a little nervous, wondering if I needed to return to God .

                                I didn't think about the possibility of the investors being a faith-based organization. But now that you mention it, I was very surprised that anyone wanted financially back a game like that. If that is the case, then yeah, that's lame. I saw some of the scenes from the game as well. I'm too far removed from active gaming, but I thought it just represented the more 'artsy' feel that some games seem to be showcasing. I agree that the graphics were not as awe-inspiring as Jad and Rob made them out to be.

                                I think that this represented more of just an interesting story to be told. I don't think it was as good as what Radiolab usually puts out, so I agree with you that their track record of showcasing other podcasts is not great. But I still liked(?) listening to it. I wonder if I was more touched because I've been following the tragic story of a certain girl on Facebook lately.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

                                Comment

                                Working...