Cable TV rocks

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UteStar
    Sexiest Poster in Town
    • Nov 2008
    • 2419

    #1

    Cable TV rocks

    Just a decade ago, you would struggle to find any worthwhile show on cable. Now, the majority of the best shows are on cable. On top of that, there are many different stations with terrific and often, award winning, shows:

    AMC: Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men
    HBO: Boardwalk Empire, Entourage, Big Love, Curb your Enthusiasm, Eastbound and Down, True Blood
    Showtime: Dexter, Weeds, Nurse Jackie
    FX: Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Sons of Anarchy, Rescue Me
    TNT: The Closer, Leverage
    USA Network: Burn Notice, White Collar, Psych,

    I have not seen all of those shows, but I think it is safe to say that Cable tv has surpassed network television in quality of production. With that said, cable networks do not have to mass produce as many shows as the big4, but the quality is definitely there on cable.
    Last edited by UteStar; 12-06-2010, 03:11 PM.
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #2
    I would add, TruBlood on HBO and The League on FX, ldc loves Psych on TBS.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #3
      Originally posted by UteStar View Post
      I have not seen all of those shows, but I think it is safe to say that Cable tv has surpassed network television in quality of production. With that said, cable networks do not have to mass produce as many shows as the big4, but the quality is definitely there on cable.
      Very safe to say. There's not one great show I can think of that airs on network (unless you still count Friday Night Lights as NBC -- I don't, really). Granted I don't watch every show on network, but the ones I do watch are easily trumped by the cable offerings.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #4
        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        Very safe to say. There's not one great show I can think of that airs on network (unless you still count Friday Night Lights as NBC -- I don't, really). Granted I don't watch every show on network, but the ones I do watch are easily trumped by the cable offerings.
        30 rock, the office, modern family
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #5
          Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Very safe to say. There's not one great show I can think of that airs on network (unless you still count Friday Night Lights as NBC -- I don't, really). Granted I don't watch every show on network, but the ones I do watch are easily trumped by the cable offerings.
          I watch 3 shows from network TV. Desperate Houswives, The Simpsons, Modern Family.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • UteStar
            Sexiest Poster in Town
            • Nov 2008
            • 2419

            #6
            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            I would add, TruBlood on HBO and The League on FX, ldc loves Psych on TBS.

            Just added True Blood. That is a terrific show. Wild and fun and intense.

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #7
              Originally posted by camleish View Post
              30 rock, the office, modern family
              I watch Modern Family and don't consider it a great show. It's good, though.

              The other two I've watched (30 Rock only recently), but not consistently. I'm not super into comedy, but even again from what I've seen the better offerings are on cable. Utestar forgot the recently deceased Party Down on his list.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • MarkGrace
                Grooveshark dick tease
                • Dec 2008
                • 31546

                #8
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                I watch 3 shows from network TV. Desperate Houswives, The Simpsons, Modern Family.
                I watched the Simpsons last night. Katy Perry.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                Comment

                • Green Lantern
                  Has overcome great fear
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 2289

                  #9
                  Originally posted by camleish View Post
                  30 rock, the office, modern family
                  Community and Parks & Recreation are the two best comedies on television right now and they're both on NBC. However, I still agree with general point that Cable beats the networks handily in overall quality. RIP Terriers.
                  Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                  None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                  I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                  --Portland Ute

                  Comment

                  • Non Sequitur
                    Where did I put my bodkin
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5773

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                    RIP Terriers.
                    Did Terriers get cancelled? I really like that show.

                    My favorite cable show, though, is Justified. I like Timothy Olyphant, and I love Elmore Leonard.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                    Comment

                    • Green Lantern
                      Has overcome great fear
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 2289

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                      Did Terriers get cancelled? I really like that show.

                      My favorite cable show, though, is Justified. I like Timothy Olyphant, and I love Elmore Leonard.
                      Yes, it just got announced today. Major bummer man. It was my favorite new show of the year, even topping Justified (which I also love. Glad that one's returning.)
                      Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                      None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                      I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                      --Portland Ute

                      Comment

                      Working...