My wife and I have finally decide to relent and buy the kids some kind of gaming station (is that right terminology?) for Christmas. As with most things, Google is information overload. So I turn to the wise slackers of CUF. Which system would you recommend I get for my kids?
X-box or Playstation?
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
Simple. Do you want a gaming system with a superior online gaming component and no ability to play blu Ray discs or do you want a gaming system with an inferior online component that can play blu Ray discs.
The former is the xbox, the latter is the Sony.
Also, Sony went the wrong way with with motion technology. The controller-less kinect is the future of gaming.Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
-
At this stage I would prefer they weren't online (I have learned from other youth you can actually access the internet and view porn using these things ?!? Crazy). I'm indifferent on the blu Ray since we already have a player. I just don't want to by the equivalent of Betamax. I assume the games cost about the same for both systems. Is that correct?Originally posted by TripletDaddy View PostSimple. Do you want a gaming system with a superior online gaming component and no ability to play blu Ray discs or do you want a gaming system with an inferior online component that can play blu Ray discs.
The former is the xbox, the latter is the Sony.
Also, Sony went the wrong way with with motion technology. The controller-less kinect is the future of gaming.
Comment
-
I would probably lean towards the xBox then. The Kinect really does look like it is going to be the way you play in the future. There are enough deals where you can get the Kinect + the xBox for about $300, which is a pretty good deal IMO.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostAt this stage I would prefer they weren't online (I have learned from other youth you can actually access the internet and view porn using these things ?!? Crazy). I'm indifferent on the blu Ray since we already have a player. I just don't want to by the equivalent of Betamax. I assume the games cost about the same for both systems. Is that correct?
For the most part, the games cross over both platforms. And as far as finding internet using a gaming console, I would dare say that if your kids are that hellbent on using their console to access porn, they're probably going to find it no matter what safeguards you put in place. I wouldn't exactly use that as a deterrent.
Comment
-
Yes the games are the same. If you don't care about bluray, the xbox is the way to goOriginally posted by Art Vandelay View PostAt this stage I would prefer they weren't online (I have learned from other youth you can actually access the internet and view porn using these things ?!? Crazy). I'm indifferent on the blu Ray since we already have a player. I just don't want to by the equivalent of Betamax. I assume the games cost about the same for both systems. Is that correct?"The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
The xbox also has some very easy to use family filters and settings. I presume the PS3 does as well.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View PostYes the games are the same. If you don't care about bluray, the xbox is the way to go
Honestly, the advice to find out what their friends have is the best. I have both systems and I do most of my gaming on the xbox because that is where my peeps are.Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
Comment
-
I own both. I prefer xbox controls as opposed to the PS3 controller and online play is better. The kinect looks cool as well and I will most likely get one for the kids at some point. If you dont care about bluray, go xbox."I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III
Comment
-
You guys talk about the Kinect like it is new technology. Playstation came out with the eye camera years ago. It is fun but gets old very quickly, you want something in your hands so you feel like you are playing a game. Otherwise save the money and just play charades in your living room when you get bored.*Banned*
Comment
-
Games are priced similarly, yes. That should not be a factor. Some games are exclusive to one platform or the other, but those are few. The most notable exception is the Halo franchise for xbox. PS3 has it's exclusives, but none touch the sales or clout of Halo. I dont even care for that game, btw, but that game is basically a pillar in the FPS online lexicon.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostAt this stage I would prefer they weren't online (I have learned from other youth you can actually access the internet and view porn using these things ?!? Crazy). I'm indifferent on the blu Ray since we already have a player. I just don't want to by the equivalent of Betamax. I assume the games cost about the same for both systems. Is that correct?
The online component that I mentioned isn't really the browser. I'm talking about putting a game into the console and playing online against friends or people all over the world. XBL is the gold standard. As far as using the console to surf The Internet, it may actually be easier to do that on the PS3. Both are fairly similar in those regards, though.Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
Also there is little danger in the xbox or PS3 becoming modern day Betamax equivalents. Both will be around for a long long time.Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
This. My company does a lot of work with EA and Microsoft. The stuff that they have coming out with Kinect is pretty darn cool. Also, XBox is the better overall home networking system in my opinion.Originally posted by TripletDaddy View PostSimple. Do you want a gaming system with a superior online gaming component and no ability to play blu Ray discs or do you want a gaming system with an inferior online component that can play blu Ray discs.
The former is the xbox, the latter is the Sony.
Also, Sony went the wrong way with with motion technology. The controller-less kinect is the future of gaming.A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali
Comment
-
I don't know if the Kinect is great, terrible or somewhere in between, but the notion that the Playstation Eye is the same thing is or even in the general ballpark is beyond ludicrous. May as well argue that a $1 pocket calculator and a computer are the same thing because they both can be used for addition and subtraction.Originally posted by cougjunkie View PostYou guys talk about the Kinect like it is new technology. Playstation came out with the eye camera years ago. It is fun but gets old very quickly, you want something in your hands so you feel like you are playing a game. Otherwise save the money and just play charades in your living room when you get bored.
Comment
-
I've played around a little bit with a Kinect with some developers for both MS and AE. What I like about Kinect is that the games, at least initially, will be younger age based. Easier to use for kids than a Wii and more active. For adults, the networking and functionality of Kinect is cool.Originally posted by DapperDan View PostI don't know if the Kinect is great, terrible or somewhere in between, but the notion that the Playstation Eye is the same thing is or even in the general ballpark is beyond ludicrous. May as well argue that a $1 pocket calculator and a computer are the same thing because they both can be used for addition and subtraction.A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali
Comment
-
When Halo 2 first came out the priests wanted to come to my house and play on my big-screen. This was when flat screen HD TVs were still somewhat of a novelty. I tried playing with them for about 10 minutes but kept getting stuck in corners and getting killed and mocked by the kids. Thus, going and seeing if the kinect technology is cool or not does me little good. Based upon what everyone is saying, I think I will go the X-box direction.Last edited by Art Vandelay; 11-22-2010, 11:22 AM.
Comment
Comment