Old Spice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sizzle
    #ThisIsY
    • Nov 2008
    • 9004

    #1

    Old Spice

    If you aren't up on the Old Spice commercials, you suck.

    Original:
    [youtube]owGykVbfgUE[/youtube]

    Commercial #2:
    [youtube]uLTIowBF0kE[/youtube]

    If those aren't enough for you, they've made about 180 responses to twitter, facebook and email questions, from regular people to celebrities. They are awesome.

    Old Spice absolutely killed it with this campaign. Links to some of my favs. They are worth the watch.

    Happy Birthday:


    Facial Hair Eyebrows:


    Blackhawks:


    Calls from the Wild:


    Alyssa Milano:


    Get Down to Business:


    Demi Moore:


    Christina Applegate:


    White Horse:


    Too manly:
  • Solon
    Lost in the flood
    • Nov 2008
    • 5747

    #2
    Thanks for all the links. I love these ads.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

    Comment

    • MartyFunkhouser
      Disciple of RNGesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 18750

      #3
      Yes they did absolutely kill it with those ads. Some of the best that I have seen in a long time.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

      Comment

      • filsdepac
        No pun intended
        • May 2009
        • 1823

        #4
        I love the ads too, I remember the first time I saw the ad and went back on my DVR like 3 times since it was so funny and well made.

        I'm curious though if this will translate to increased sales. Not that the chihuahua from Taco Bell was great or anything, but lots of people talked about him and said, "Yo quiero taco bell", but I remember reading an article that said they pulled that campaign because it didn't increase sales at all, even though everyone knew the dog.

        I personally love the ads, but I don't think I'll buy old spice now; I've never been a big fan. But perhaps I'm in the minority.

        Comment

        • Donuthole
          Official Outgayer
          • Nov 2008
          • 25267

          #5
          Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
          I love the ads too, I remember the first time I saw the ad and went back on my DVR like 3 times since it was so funny and well made.

          I'm curious though if this will translate to increased sales. Not that the chihuahua from Taco Bell was great or anything, but lots of people talked about him and said, "Yo quiero taco bell", but I remember reading an article that said they pulled that campaign because it didn't increase sales at all, even though everyone knew the dog.

          I personally love the ads, but I don't think I'll buy old spice now; I've never been a big fan. But perhaps I'm in the minority.
          Old Spice deodorant burns my armpits.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

          Comment

          • fusnik
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 4475

            #6
            I use women's Dove. Shift between Powder and Clean scents. Only way to go.

            Comment

            • filsdepac
              No pun intended
              • May 2009
              • 1823

              #7
              Originally posted by fusnik View Post
              I use women's Dove. Shift between Powder and Clean scents. Only way to go.
              I'm just afraid my pH will get out of balance, otherwise those sound delightful.

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37979

                #8
                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Old Spice deodorant burns my armpits.
                Me too! But I wax my pits, so that might contribute to it.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • Pheidippides
                  Liberal Feminazi
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14759

                  #9
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Me too! But I wax my pits, so that might contribute to it.
                  WTF? How metro are you?
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                  Comment

                  • Sizzle
                    #ThisIsY
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 9004

                    #10
                    Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
                    I love the ads too, I remember the first time I saw the ad and went back on my DVR like 3 times since it was so funny and well made.

                    I'm curious though if this will translate to increased sales. Not that the chihuahua from Taco Bell was great or anything, but lots of people talked about him and said, "Yo quiero taco bell", but I remember reading an article that said they pulled that campaign because it didn't increase sales at all, even though everyone knew the dog.

                    I personally love the ads, but I don't think I'll buy old spice now; I've never been a big fan. But perhaps I'm in the minority.
                    My thought is that with a product like Body Wash or Cologne that is such a commodity and really little differentiation between the products, brand recognition/awareness is even more important. When I'm hungry I'm less likely to choose what I eat because a little dog told me to. But when I'm at the store picking out body wash or deodorant, I'm more likely to reach for the brand that is stuck in my head or remember the positive interaction that I had when I see the Old Spice ad than something I've never seen/heard of before.

                    I haven't looked into any market research on this, but I would definitely guess that with products like soap or deodorant, brand loyalty is probably key. If I use a product and as long as I don't break out in a rash or smell really really badly, I'll probably continue to use it. I would probably guess that in the personal hygiene category, Old Spice was getting their butt kicked because they have the perception of being, well, old. It was what your grandpa used and smelt like old man. And if you're a 18-25 year old, smelling like an old man isn't going to help you get what you want (let's be honest, that's to get laid). You see Axe going into the market with a very over the top and not so subtle campaign that pulled pretty well for them. Old Spice revamping their packaging and creating this type of viral campaign would be my guess to appeal to the younger demo, so that when they are standing in the store making their product selection, instead of thinking old man when they see Old Spice, they think of the commercial that made them laugh and their positive experience. Since Axe is already out there with the "Axe will get you laid" message, it was important enough for Old Spice to differentiate, and, since they are a more traditional brand, stay a little more respectable. I think it'll pay off for them.

                    Comment

                    • bluegoose
                      7th round draft pick
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4121

                      #11
                      Advice to Pres Obama:

                      Comment

                      • FN Phat
                        I ♥ gateway sex
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 8691

                        #12
                        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                        WTF? How metro are you?
                        Apparently not too far ahead of fusnik.
                        I'm your huckleberry.


                        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                        Comment

                        • FlynHawaiian30
                          Junior Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 427

                          #13
                          You guys are weird...waxing armpits and using deoderant for females?

                          Gillette all the way. If you use Gillette you get laid more than using Axe just ask one of the Gillette users:

                          Comment

                          • cougjunkie
                            *Banned*
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 23223

                            #14
                            Sizzle you sure know a lot about marketing for a garbage man.

                            I have used Old Spice since I was old enough to know what BO actually was. I really like the ads they are well done.
                            *Banned*

                            Comment

                            Working...