Tim Burton Movies

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Green Lantern
    Has overcome great fear
    • Aug 2009
    • 2289

    #1

    Tim Burton Movies

    So somebody was talking about ALICE IN WONDERLAND today and asked me a question about a plot point in the film. I realized that while it's only been a matter of weeks since I've seen it, I can't remember very much of the movie. It just didn't stick with me. This happens to me quite a bit with movies that are extremely visually imaginative but ultimately lacking in some kind of emotional resonance. Terry Gilliam has been guilty of it several times, as has Mr. Tim Burton. It got me thinking about the man's filmography.

    And so, without further ado, here is an objective, completely accurate ranking of all of Tim Burton's directorial efforts, from best to worst:

    1. BEETLE JUICE
    2. ED WOOD
    3. SLEEPY HOLLOW
    4. EDWARD SCISSORHANDS
    5. PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
    6. MARS ATTACKS!
    7. CORPSE BRIDE
    8. BIG FISH
    9. SWEENEY TODD
    10. BATMAN RETURNS
    11. BATMAN
    12. ALICE IN WONDERLAND
    12. CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
    13. PLANET OF THE APES

    For the record, I like about the first 10 films to some extent.
    Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

    None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

    I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

    --Portland Ute
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #2
    I am at the point with Burton that I am with Shyamalan.

    Comment

    • Green Lantern
      Has overcome great fear
      • Aug 2009
      • 2289

      #3
      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      I am at the point with Burton that I am with Shyamalan.
      Ouch. I'm not quite that far. PLANET OF THE APES is bad, but it ain't THE HAPPENING. And I think both of them still have great films in them if they'd team up with decent screenwriters.
      Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

      None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

      I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

      --Portland Ute

      Comment

      • creekster
        It is NOT a monkey!
        • Nov 2008
        • 22661

        #4
        Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
        Ouch. I'm not quite that far. PLANET OF THE APES is bad, but it ain't THE HAPPENING. And I think both of them still have great films in them if they'd team up with decent screenwriters.
        The planet of the apes remake was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It was AWFUL and that rhymes with falafel and oyu know what that menas.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

        Comment

        • UtahDan
          *
          • Nov 2008
          • 14496

          #5
          Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
          Ouch. I'm not quite that far. PLANET OF THE APES is bad, but it ain't THE HAPPENING. And I think both of them still have great films in them if they'd team up with decent screenwriters.
          I just mean in the sense that I'm worn out with their shtick. I've seen it and don't need to see it again. I was actually not going to see Alice In Wonderland because I thought it was Burton directed. Shyamalan will get his shot at redemption with The Last Air Bender.

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #6
            If the trailer is any indication, The Last Air Bender will be horrific.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • UtahDan
              *
              • Nov 2008
              • 14496

              #7
              Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              If the trailer is any indication, The Last Air Bender will be horrific.
              Yeah, my sarcasm there may have been a bit too subtle.

              Comment

              • Green Lantern
                Has overcome great fear
                • Aug 2009
                • 2289

                #8
                Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                I just mean in the sense that I'm worn out with their shtick. I've seen it and don't need to see it again. I was actually not going to see Alice In Wonderland because I thought it was Burton directed. Shyamalan will get his shot at redemption with The Last Air Bender.
                Yeah, I think Burton's WONDERLAND is his biggest movie ever and yet the entire thing is just inert. It has no energy. We like to think of a Tim Burton movie as something that only he could have made. WONDERLAND didn't feel like that.

                As for AIRBENDER, man, I just noticed that Shyamalan is writing it too. Damn. Why doesn't he find himself a good screenwriter? He's his own worst enemy sometimes.
                Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                --Portland Ute

                Comment

                • UtahDan
                  *
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14496

                  #9
                  GL do you play on hsx?

                  Comment

                  • Katy Lied
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 9435

                    #10
                    For some reason, I've never really liked Burton. Not sure why. I dont hate his stuff, it's just meh for me. I've seen a few, and I agree that Beetle Juice was the best, and everything after that was downhill. There's only so much wide-eyed wonderment expressed by your fish-out-of-water character I can stomach.

                    Comment

                    • Green Lantern
                      Has overcome great fear
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 2289

                      #11
                      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                      GL do you play on hsx?
                      Not for years! I used to play on there back when I was in college. It was fun. Maybe I'll check it out again.
                      Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                      None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                      I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                      --Portland Ute

                      Comment

                      • UtahDan
                        *
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14496

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                        Not for years! I used to play on there back when I was in college. It was fun. Maybe I'll check it out again.
                        TOYS3 is going to make me a lot of fake money come Sunday. Hopefully Jona Hex will also cooperate and be a short.

                        Comment

                        • Green Lantern
                          Has overcome great fear
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 2289

                          #13
                          Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                          TOYS3 is going to make me a lot of fake money come Sunday. Hopefully Jona Hex will also cooperate and be a short.
                          I think you made some safe predictions there.
                          Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                          None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                          I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                          --Portland Ute

                          Comment

                          • Commando
                            Explosivo
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 20748

                            #14
                            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            If the trailer is any indication, The Last Air Bender will be horrific.
                            Have you seen the nickelodeon series? It's the shit.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                            Comment

                            • Commando
                              Explosivo
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 20748

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                              So somebody was talking about ALICE IN WONDERLAND today and asked me a question about a plot point in the film. I realized that while it's only been a matter of weeks since I've seen it, I can't remember very much of the movie. It just didn't stick with me. This happens to me quite a bit with movies that are extremely visually imaginative but ultimately lacking in some kind of emotional resonance. Terry Gilliam has been guilty of it several times, as has Mr. Tim Burton. It got me thinking about the man's filmography.

                              And so, without further ado, here is an objective, completely accurate ranking of all of Tim Burton's directorial efforts, from best to worst:

                              1. BEETLE JUICE
                              2. ED WOOD
                              3. SLEEPY HOLLOW
                              4. EDWARD SCISSORHANDS
                              5. PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
                              6. MARS ATTACKS!
                              7. CORPSE BRIDE
                              8. BIG FISH
                              9. SWEENEY TODD
                              10. BATMAN RETURNS
                              11. BATMAN
                              12. ALICE IN WONDERLAND
                              12. CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
                              13. PLANET OF THE APES

                              For the record, I like about the first 10 films to some extent.
                              I think I totally disagree with this list. I really liked pee wee, ed. scissorhands, Big Fish, Batman, Sweeney Todd, and Sleepy Hollow. I thought Corpse Bride, Beetlejuice, and Nightmare Before Christmas were the same nonsensical movie, Batman Returns was a mess, and I have not had interest in Ed Wood or Mars Attacks!. I was bemused by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and entertained by Planet of the Apes. I think the more he has to work within someone else's framework the better he is. He doesn't know the meaning of the word restraint.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                              Comment

                              Working...