Books on Hoffman forgeries

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • grapevine
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1992

    #1

    Books on Hoffman forgeries

    Anyone read any of them? I read Mormon Murders major distorted and another one not in favor of the church. Read a few rebuttals too. Interesting. Who else read books about the fogeries?
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    I read The Mormon Murders as well and like you, found a lot of the author's opinion rather than fact when it came to the LDS church's role.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • Green Lantern
      Has overcome great fear
      • Aug 2009
      • 2289

      #3
      I've read the three big ones: Mormon Murders(sensationalistic as hell but fun,) Victims(church approved and decent) and Salamander which I found to be the most evenhanded and overall best of the bunch.
      Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

      None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

      I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

      --Portland Ute

      Comment

      • happyone
        Board Bookworm
        • Mar 2009
        • 5398

        #4
        Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
        I've read the three big ones: Mormon Murders(sensationalistic as hell but fun,) Victims(church approved and decent) and Salamander which I found to be the most evenhanded and overall best of the bunch.
        I've read all three as well, years and years ago, and I'll echo GL's evaluation.

        I may be small, but I'm slow.

        A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

        Comment

        • Blueintheface
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 15382

          #5
          Due to the fact that my father was nearly killed by Hoffman I never really wanted to learn more. Maybe it would be cathartic to read these so many years later.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

          "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

          Comment

          • Jacob
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 6801

            #6
            Originally posted by grapevine View Post
            Anyone read any of them? I read Mormon Murders major distorted and another one not in favor of the church. Read a few rebuttals too. Interesting. Who else read books about the fogeries?
            I've only read Salamander. It seemed even handed to me and very well done. I highly recommend it.

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37987

              #7
              Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
              Due to the fact that my father was nearly killed by Hoffman I never really wanted to learn more. Maybe it would be cathartic to read these so many years later.
              Whoa. Any interest in sharing more? If not, no biggie.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Blueintheface
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 15382

                #8
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Whoa. Any interest in sharing more? If not, no biggie.
                No worries. My father was in the office next to Steve. Christensen when he was kille
                He wasn't involved in the possible purchase of documents but he met Hoffman a few days earlier. Ironically my mother had been s engaged to the other ntended victim, Gary Sheets, which bomb wound up killing his wife. They were all very close friends.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37987

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                  No worries. My father was in the office next to Steve. Christensen when he was kille
                  He wasn't involved in the possible purchase of documents but he met Hoffman a few days earlier. Ironically my mother had been s engaged to the other ntended victim, Gary Sheets, which bomb wound up killing his wife. They were all very close friends.
                  Yikes.

                  Mark Hoffman was in my ward growing up. He and my dad were in the Elders Quorum presidency together. I was too young to know/remember him, but my parents knew them somewhat. He sometimes showed my dad some of the "documents" he had acquired.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Green Lantern
                    Has overcome great fear
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2289

                    #10
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Yikes.

                    Mark Hoffman was in my ward growing up. He and my dad were in the Elders Quorum presidency together. I was too young to know/remember him, but my parents knew them somewhat. He sometimes showed my dad some of the "documents" he had acquired.
                    Hoffman was just a world class creep and bad guy even before the murders. Here is a picture of him showing some of his "discoveries" to the First Presidency.
                    Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                    None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                    I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                    --Portland Ute

                    Comment

                    • Blueintheface
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 15382

                      #11
                      This may mean that my father is a lightning rod for the fringe element of the church but I have another weird story to recount. My father used to come home from church during his adolescence very upset that he couldn't be as spiritual as a certain member of his ward. He'd actually try to copy his mannerisms. Some years later this guy tossed his entire family off roof of a downtown highrise after receiving 'a vision'. Peculiar people is right.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                        Hoffman was just a world class creep and bad guy even before the murders. Here is a picture of him showing some of his "discoveries" to the First Presidency.
                        Anyone remember what it was that GBH covered up and later apologized for. I think one newscaster said it was because he loved the church so much, he didn't want to have anything negative said and that is why he covered it up.

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                          This may mean that my father is a lightning rod for the fringe element of the church but I have another weird story to recount. My father used to come home from church during his adolescence very upset that he couldn't be as spiritual as a certain member of his ward. He'd actually try to copy his mannerisms. Some years later this guy tossed his entire family off roof of a downtown highrise after receiving 'a vision'. Peculiar people is right.
                          Your dad was in the same ward as Immanuel David?

                          IIRC, David had committed suicide a few days earlier but instructed his wife to kill the children by throwing them out a window of a highrise. One of the daughters who was 14 survived. David's cult was under FBI investigation.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • cougjunkie
                            *Banned*
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 23223

                            #14
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            Your dad was in the same ward as Immanuel David?

                            IIRC, David had committed suicide a few days earlier but instructed his wife to kill the children by throwing them out a window of a highrise. One of the daughters who was 14 survived. David's cult was under FBI investigation.
                            Looks like his family is still around and still crazy. http://www.mazeministry.com/mormonis...ongo/index.htm
                            *Banned*

                            Comment

                            Working...