Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    styx?? foreigner?!?!?!?!?
    If Funk wants to bask in some “Feels Like the First Time” right now, he has every right to do so.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
      Dennis DeYoung seemed to have his heart set on Broadway, and the Kilroy album was a bridge too far for the rest of the band.

Shaw is a great singer/guitarist combo. There's a reason so many people want to keep working with him year after year.
      Dennis DeYoung just released a couple of new songs. To the Good Old Days wasn't my style, but the missus liked it. East of Midnight was better the first listen, but when I gave it a second, all I hear is a Broadway musical. I seriously tried to like it this morning but had to shut it off.

Comment

I'm listening to a live, untracked clip of Tommy Shaw and Styx doing Blue Collar Man.

Shaw is super talented. He could have played in any prog-rock band, or sung with the Eagles.

Styx is a band that is dissed because it seemed too radio-ready, but these guys don't suck.
        Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 02-19-2021, 11:08 AM.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
          I'm listening to a live, untracked clip of Tommy Shaw and Styx doing Blue Collar Man.

Shaw is super talented. He could have played in any prog-rock band, or sung with the Eagles.

Styx is a band that is dissed because it seemed to radio-ready, but these guys don't suck.
          Tommy Shaw was the best thing that ever happened to Styx.

Comment

I am happy every time someone posts in here. I'm gonna watch Styx or Foreigner Behind the Music again. Thank you Youtube.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-155uJ-Ws
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

So Styx has a new album out. I highly recommend it.

Someone asked me about Dennis DeYoung getting kicked out of the band.

Basically, Mr. Roboto was the last straw for Tommy Shaw and James Young. Their music rocked, and Dennis was more pop and theatrical. So they had creative differences. Dennis pushed the concept album with Mr. Roboto, and after that tour the band went their separate ways.

They came back together sometime in the 90's, and did some writing, but mostly touring their classic catalog. Somewhere around 1999, Dennis was having trouble with all the lights and was getting headaches, so he had to quit. The rest of the band moved on without him and basically took over the Styx brand. Dennis sued them in court, and I think after a settlement, he no longer has a stake in Styx.

Dennis keeps saying they should do one last tour together, and Tommy and JY have moved on and are very happy with the things as they are, so that'll never happen. I love today’s line-up of Styx. JY shreds like an animal. I love the smile he gets as he plays. Lawrence Gowan is a great entertainer. I love the energy he brings, and he’s so fun to watch. Ricky Phillips is talented and plays an interesting base line. Todd Sucherman has got to be one of the most talented drummers in the world. He adds a really fun and interesting dimension to their music. And in my opinion, Tommy Shaw was always the greatest talent in the band. Styx has evolved, and they're better than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  So Styx has a new album out. I highly recommend it.

Someone asked me about Dennis DeYoung getting kicked out of the band.

Basically, Mr. Roboto was the last straw for Tommy Shaw and James Young. Their music rocked, and Dennis was more pop and theatrical. So they had creative differences. Dennis pushed the concept album with Mr. Roboto, and after that tour the band went their separate ways.

They came back together sometime in the 90's, and did some writing, but mostly touring their classic catalog. Somewhere around 1999, Dennis was having trouble with all the lights and was getting headaches, so he had to quit. The rest of the band moved on without him and basically took over the Styx brand. Dennis sued them in court, and I think after a settlement, he no longer has a stake in Styx.

Dennis keeps saying they should do one last tour together, and Tommy and JY have moved on and are very happy with the things as they are, so that'll never happen. I love today’s line-up of Styx. JY shreds like an animal. I love the smile he gets as he plays. Lawrence Gowan is a great entertainer. I love the energy he brings, and he’s so fun to watch. Ricky Phillips is talented and plays an interesting base line. Todd Sucherman has got to be one of the most talented drummers in the world. He adds a really fun and interesting dimension to their music. And in my opinion, Tommy Shaw was always the greatest talent in the band. Styx has evolved, and they're better than ever.
                  Interesting, thanks for that.

I just read that although the rest of the band didn't like the theatrical bent DeYoung was taking them, he wrote most of their hits. And to be honest, as a 13 year-old boy I thought Mr. Roboto rocked!
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Interesting, thanks for that.

I just read that although the rest of the band didn't like the theatrical bent DeYoung was taking them, he wrote most of their hits. And to be honest, as a 13 year-old boy I thought Mr. Roboto rocked!
                    Totally agree. I loved Mr Roboto as well. He was a musical genius, and his influence can be heard in the new music they're writing today.

I disagree that he wrote most of their hits. I think you'll find that Tommy Shaw wrote their best songs. Too bad they couldn't come together, but I like Lawrence Gowen enough that I think the band is better off today having evolved.

Comment

Totally agree. I loved Mr Roboto as well. He was a musical genius, and his influence can be heard in the new music they're writing today.

I disagree that he wrote most of their hits. I think you'll find that Tommy Shaw wrote their best songs. Too bad they couldn't come together, but I like Lawrence Gowen enough that I think the band is better off today having evolved.
                      Listen fanboi, I'm only quoting wikipedia:

DeYoung has been credited as the writer of more Styx songs than any other Styx member. He was also the band's most successful writer, penning 7 of the band's 8 Billboard top 10 singles as well as a solo top 10 single.
                      You got a problem with that, take it up with them
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Listen fanboi, I'm only quoting wikipedia:

You got a problem with that, take it up with them
                        Haha, yeah, I'm sure plenty of people disagree with me. The great minds behind the Wikipedia entry must know best. DeYoung wrote a lot of stuff that, as pop, was more popular. I gravitated to the stuff Tommy and JY wrote. And if you're going to place "Babe", "The Best of Times", or "Lady" above "Renegade", we can agree to disagree. There's no accounting for taste, right?

Comment

Writing the hits and writing the best songs is not necessarily the same metric.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

We talkin about styx! Styx!! Not bad company, styx! We talkin about Styx.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                              We talkin about styx! Styx!! Not bad company, styx! We talkin about Styx.
                              Well it is a Styx thread...

Comment

I also enjoy the new album. There is a lot going on from a production standpoint that makes it interesting. I enjoyed their previous album The Mission as well. Dennis just released his final album to which I have yet to listen. I'll get to that on my drive home from Lake Powell.

Comment

Working...
                                X