Biggest Loser 5k

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SteelBlue
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8190

    #1

    Biggest Loser 5k

    Anyone see the episode today? One of the contestants (I don't know names) states that he's shooting for a 21 minute 5k. The guy is still pretty large. I'm watching him run and it isn't fast. He crosses the line in something like 21:06. I'm calling b.s., there is no way that guy is running that fast. That is a pace of 6:47. Total crap, I'm wondering how and especially why they needed to fake that.
  • FN Phat
    I ♥ gateway sex
    • Feb 2009
    • 8691

    #2
    Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Anyone see the episode today? One of the contestants (I don't know names) states that he's shooting for a 21 minute 5k. The guy is still pretty large. I'm watching him run and it isn't fast. He crosses the line in something like 21:06. I'm calling b.s., there is no way that guy is running that fast. That is a pace of 6:47. Total crap, I'm wondering how and especially why they needed to fake that.
    I think it was legit. Daris is the man.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

    Comment

    • SteelBlue
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 8190

      #3
      Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
      I think it was legit. Daris is the man.
      No way was that legit. The guy was trotting into the finish line at about a 9 minute pace. Also odd was that 2 people finishing with him came from a different direction. There is no way in hell a guy his size is maintaining sub 7 miles.

      Comment

      • cougjunkie
        *Banned*
        • Nov 2008
        • 23223

        #4
        The kid that did is a pretty good athlete but that seems really fast. Especially since Michael one of the contestants still there said last week that he just ran a full mile for the first time without stopping.

        Also did you see Lance and his wife ran a half marathon? They did it in 4 1/2 hours, a half not full marathon. It was dark and that crowd had dispersed when they finished.
        *Banned*

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #5
          Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
          I think it was legit. Daris is the man.
          Daris said like two weeks ago on an episode that he couldn't even walk 3.5 mph on the treadmill when they started and now he runs at 8 mph. That's a bit slower than the pace for a 21 minute 5k but if he pushed it a bit he might be able to pull that off.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • SteelBlue
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 8190

            #6
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Daris said like two weeks ago on an episode that he couldn't even walk 3.5 mph on the treadmill when they started and now he runs at 8 mph. That's a bit slower than the pace for a 21 minute 5k but if he pushed it a bit he might be able to pull that off.
            I have a VERY hard time believing the guy runs anything resembling a 7:30 mile for more than a mile (and even 1 mile is hard to believe). The difference in effort level and suffering between a 7:30 and a 6:47 is quite significant. Couple that with the video of him trotting and I'm telling you it's either a mistake or a fake or we just watched the worlds fastest fat guy. Since it wouldn't be the first time they've faked a running time, faked would be my guess.
            Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM.

            Comment

            • Surfah
              Where's Wallace?
              • Nov 2008
              • 33726

              #7
              Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              I have a VERY hard time believing the guy runs anything resembling a 7:30 mile for more than a mile (and even 1 mile is hard to believe). The difference in effort level and suffering between a 7:30 and a 6:47 is quite significant. Couple that with the video of him trotting and I'm telling you it's either a mistake or a fake or we just watched the worlds fastest fat guy. Since it wouldn't be the first time they've faked a running time, faked would be my guess.
              Daris is down around 220-30 now. I wouldn't be shocked if it were faked. But I wouldn't be surprised either if it wasn't.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

              Comment

              • DU Ute
                RIP CUF
                • Dec 2008
                • 7393

                #8
                I've run two miles in 12 minutes flat at over 200 pounds. I buy it.
                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                Comment

                • SteelBlue
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8190

                  #9
                  Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                  I've run two miles in 12 minutes flat at over 200 pounds. I buy it.
                  After watching the weigh in I realize the guy is only 214 pounds so he's not nearly as big as I'd thought. However I'm still highly skeptical of that time especially combined with the video they used.

                  Comment

                  • Donuthole
                    Official Outgayer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 25278

                    #10
                    Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                    I have a VERY hard time believing the guy runs anything resembling a 7:30 mile for more than a mile (and even 1 mile is hard to believe). The difference in effort level and suffering between a 7:30 and a 6:47 is quite significant. Couple that with the video of him trotting and I'm telling you it's either a mistake or a fake or we just watched the worlds fastest fat guy. Since it wouldn't be the first time they've faked a running time, faked would be my guess.
                    I agree, and I think that's even an understatement. Also, sustaining that speed over 1 mile vs. over 3 miles is just as big a difference (if not more so).
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                    Comment

                    • Surfah
                      Where's Wallace?
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 33726

                      #11
                      I don't know if Sam is, but Koli is LDS and an RM. He served in the North Carolina Raleigh Mission, Spanish speaking.



                      As of the April 27 episode, Palu has lost 144 pounds in 15 weeks. He says his goal now is “to stay healthy for the rest of my life. I also want to be a college football coach. I want to be a father and husband, to find someone I can take to the temple. There were a lot of lessons learned from the show to help me become a better man.”
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • dabrockster
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 10964

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        I don't know if Sam is, but Koli is LDS and an RM. He served in the North Carolina Raleigh Mission, Spanish speaking.

                        http://ldsliving.com/article/208261/...Gains-New-Life
                        I wondered. They were motivated by the other Poly team. I wonder if Sam is as well, just not active anymore (I think he used to smoke etc). I think they are childhood friends...

                        Comment

                        • Pheidippides
                          Liberal Feminazi
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14759

                          #13
                          Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                          After watching the weigh in I realize the guy is only 214 pounds so he's not nearly as big as I'd thought. However I'm still highly skeptical of that time especially combined with the video they used.
                          I haven't seen the video, but running a 21 flat for me (which is my personal best, post mission) involves really getting after it. Relatively long strides and fast turnover. I thought I was going to die after it.

                          In the dude's defense, though, I did run it at 190 - only about 20 pounds.

                          Still, what everybody says here is true, at least for me: the difference between a 7:30 mile and a 6:45 mile is much greater than the difference between a 10:00 mile and an 8:30 mile over that distance.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                          Comment

                          • cougjunkie
                            *Banned*
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 23223

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I don't know if Sam is, but Koli is LDS and an RM. He served in the North Carolina Raleigh Mission, Spanish speaking.

                            http://ldsliving.com/article/208261/...Gains-New-Life
                            Those two are by far my favorite competitors on the show. I want to see the final four be Sam, Koli, Daris and Sunshine.
                            *Banned*

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #15
                              Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                              I wondered. They were motivated by the other Poly team. I wonder if Sam is as well, just not active anymore (I think he used to smoke etc). I think they are childhood friends...
                              They're cousins. Sam used to have a twitter account his name was eyeonzion. Now he just goes by his name Sam Poueu. Not sure if he is or not still. Sam is dating Stephanie from the show now. He moved to LA after the show stopped taping to be closer to her.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...