You're so vain...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Art Vandelay
    Striving for mediocrity
    • Jul 2009
    • 10516

    #1

    You're so vain...

    Of the many names that I had heard speculated who Carly Simon's only famous song was about, I had never heard David Geffen's name before. As with many things the mystery was more interesting than the truth.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 02-26-2010, 02:13 PM.
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #2
    How disappointing. It was about money? jealousy over record promotions? SIgh.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

    Comment

    • PaloAltoCougar
      Semper infra dignitatem
      • Nov 2008
      • 16940

      #3
      That song came out while I was pestering hausfraus in Salzburg and I didn't hear it until I returned. But on my last mission birthday, my sister sent me a birthday card with the caption: "You're so vain, you prob'ly think this card is about you." I was quite puzzled by this. I mean, if it wasn't about me, who was it for? Only when I heard the song several months later was I able to sleep at night. I wonder if I need to forward the card, 36 years late, to Geffen.

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #4
        Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        Of the many names that I had heard speculated who Carly Simon's only famous song was about, I had never heard David Geffen's name before. As with many things the mystery was more interesting than the truth.
        Who is your so vain? (I don't have one.)
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • UtahDan
          *
          • Nov 2008
          • 14496

          #5
          That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be is a famous song.

          Comment

          • I.J. Reilly
            Nobody's Fool
            • Apr 2009
            • 2949

            #6
            David Geffen is gay. Carly is really just trying to take this thing for all it's worth. Was it not enough that Kate Hudson sang your song in a movie??? I think you're the vain one, Carly. Incidentally, Mick Jagger sings back up vocals on that song.

            In other news, You Oughta Know by Alanis is about this guy.

            Comment

            • clackamascoug
              Banned
              • Dec 2009
              • 9709

              #7
              Funny story: In 1972 we lived at 1777 Oak Lane in Provo. My 16yo sister was friends/liked a guy from Payson. He would come over and they would sit in the front yard and he would play his guitar and sing.

              He told my sister that he wrote "Your So Vain" , and that he sold the rights to the publisher for $50,000. He drove a nice new car, so my sister believed it hook line and sinker. She talked about how smart this guy was for years, and every time she heard the song she thought of him.

              Fast forward 38 years and we are in Portland having dinner at her husbands birthday get-together. We start talking about the old days... and I mention how crazy/stupid she was for believing that her old boyfriend wrote Your So Vain.

              She got all indignant and said "Well... he DID WRITE IT. Didn't he Bob? Looking at her husband for support. Bob says... "I never believed the story honey. I know you think its true, but it's not really true."

              My sister almost started to cry (She's 55 now) and asking why nobody believes her. Then she said... I don't care what you guys say - He wrote that song and that's the end of it. Besides, what would be his motivation for telling me he wrote it. (As if she had check mated us) I said his motivation was the same as every 18 year old in the history of the world. An opportunity to procreate. Well the roof blew off between my wife and my sister, and me and my BIL we left to laugh knowing that we were right, but not dare mentioning another word.
              Last edited by clackamascoug; 02-26-2010, 03:11 PM.

              Comment

              • creekster
                It is NOT a monkey!
                • Nov 2008
                • 22661

                #8
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                Who is your so vain? (I don't have one.)
                huh?
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                Comment

                • Katy Lied
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 9435

                  #9
                  My so vain love me long time.

                  (Shout out to Tim)

                  Comment

                  • Babs
                    Not a Lawyer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 17128

                    #10
                    sigh. I thought this thread was about me.

                    Comment

                    • landpoke
                      Never once baby snatched
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4183

                      #11
                      Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                      In other news, You Oughta Know by Alanis is about this guy.
                      Dave Coulier, Alanis Morissette, a theater. Boggles the mind.
                      There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                      Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                      Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                      Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                      …
                      Tomorrow is Saturday
                      And Sunday comes afterwards

                      Comment

                      • John McClain
                        Comfortably Numb
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 1012

                        #12
                        Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                        Dave Coulier, Alanis Morissette, a theater. Boggles the mind.
                        Let's hope the theatre wasn't a "Full House"
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #13
                          Originally posted by John McClain View Post
                          Let's hope the theatre wasn't a "Full House"
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • il Padrino Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19161

                            #14
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            Who is your so vain? (I don't have one.)
                            You're mine, SU.
                            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                            Comment

                            • il Padrino Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19161

                              #15
                              Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be is a famous song.
                              So is Anticipation.

                              That song was about ketchup.
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                              Comment

                              Working...