Worst Moviegoing Experiences

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Green Lantern
    Has overcome great fear
    • Aug 2009
    • 2289

    #1

    Worst Moviegoing Experiences

    I mentioned in one of the other threads that I recently saw the Nicolas Cage movie BAD LIEUTENANT the other day. I liked the film quite a bit but I had the most aggravating time for the first 20 minutes of the show. As the film began, the whole projection was clearly off-center and it was bugging the crap out of me. Nobody else was doing anything so I went out to the lobby of the Broadway to complain. The guy said he'd get the projectionist to fix it. So back in the theater, we see some adjusting to the image and it's now centered but it is also now clearly projected too low. This becomes obvious when the boom mike starts showing up at the top of about every other shot. Nothing takes you out of a movie quicker than seeing the microphone overhead while the actors try to be serious.

    So I head out to the lobby again while the crowd laughs at the boom mike and tell the problem to the ushers. One of them says "Are you sure it's not intentional?" I shot a withering look her way while the other guy said "No, I'll go get it fixed." I head back in and 5 minutes later, it's still happening. Even worse now. The boom mike is clearly visible at all times. I head back out one more time to tell them I want my money back if they can't fix it. I say "Seriously, we can't fix this?" At this point the guy in the lobby is clearly peeved at the projectionist and he rushes off to fix the problem. One minute later, the whole screen shifts up and everything is fine. But c'mon, how hard is the projectionist's job?

    So anyway, I know this whole rant makes me sound like an anal-retentive crazy person, but I LOVE going to movies and it pisses me off when it's a bad experience. Anybody else have any theater horror stories they care to share?
    Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

    None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

    I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

    --Portland Ute
  • Fiyero
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 5266

    #2
    Yes the ever-so-hyped Star Wars Episode 1 ten years ago, we waited in line for hours to see a midnight show, and an hour into the film they had mechanical failures, couldn't fix it and gave everyone a free pass to return another day.

    Comment

    • Commando
      Explosivo
      • Feb 2009
      • 20748

      #3
      When I saw Wedding Crashers (at an early matinee), the previews were off-center. They came in and gave everyone their money back in cash. Score!


      Wait... that's actually a really good movie experience.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

      Comment

      • Art Vandelay
        Striving for mediocrity
        • Jul 2009
        • 10516

        #4
        So the film the movie theater has is larger than the screen and shows things like the mike if not placed correctly on the screen? I always assumed the film was like a TV picture, whether big or small it is still the same pictue with the same dimensions...well actually I had never thought of it before, but if I did that would be my assumption.

        Comment

        • Green Lantern
          Has overcome great fear
          • Aug 2009
          • 2289

          #5
          Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          So the film the movie theater has is larger than the screen and shows things like the mike if not placed correctly on the screen? I always assumed the film was like a TV picture, whether big or small it is still the same pictue with the same dimensions...well actually I had never thought of it before, but if I did that would be my assumption.
          It can often depend on how the film is shot. In many cases though, the film is actually framed on the screen so there is stuff being projected above, below and to the sides that you're not seeing and are not meant to see.

          Unless, that is, the projectionist doesn't have the projector aligned correctly.
          Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

          None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

          I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

          --Portland Ute

          Comment

          • The_Tick
            Made something of myself
            • Nov 2008
            • 7295

            #6
            I can't remember which LOTR movie it was, but I was weeks away from having back surgery. I could barely sit in a chair for more than 15 minutes before getting up.

            It was like being in the temple.

            Except I went through 6 vicodin.

            Same with The Last Samari. But that was post back surgery. Sitting in a full back brace during a movie is not recommended.

            Also...painting your dining room and trim in a full back brace is also frowned upon. I got yelled at.

            Comment

            Working...