The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    I saw this last night with LR. I would never seek this movie out, but we were on a walkabout in Westwood, and we showed up at the Regency Village Theater about five minutes before a showing, so we bought tickets.

I didn't see the first one. I enjoyed the movie. It was stupid, but kind of fun. Nothing really memorable, and it seemed to drag on forever, but it was worth the $16 and access to the Regency's $1 hotdogs (I ate three).
    Saw it. Agree with Robin. Meh.

They fixed the leading lady problem that PAC and I were offended by in the first Sholmes.

Also, it bugged me that the Roma didnt speak Romanian. I met a female gypsy in Paris and she spoke both interchangeably.

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
      It's been a while, but as I recall, the first movie really focused on Holmes, with Watson just being the trusty sidekick (Robin to Holmes' Batman). One of the reasons why the British version is so much better is that, as in the books, Watson is the protagonist, allowing the audience to view Holmes' antics through a skeptical, but still admiring, lens. It also provides some distance, so that Holmes' unrealistic perfection doesn't grate as much.

And seriously, anyone who hasn't checked out the British Sherlock Holmes, you really should. There were only 3 episodes in the first season, each of them about 90 minutes.
      You are talking about the new Masterpiece Mystery version of Holmes? I agree that it is excellent, and I was disappointed that they didn't offer a second season this year. Hopefully soon.

Comment

• Meek's Cutoff -- this somehow made The Winter's Bone look like it had a shitload going on in it.

Young Adult -- really liked. This would probably be in my top 10 for the year right now.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Young Adult -- really liked. This would probably be in my top 10 for the year right now.
          Dang. I had tickets for a sneak preview and I let them go.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            I liked it, but didn't love it, although I'm certain my lower rating is due in part to having sat in front of a guy who laughed uproariously at pretty much everything in the movie. I think he thought it was a Hangover-like comedy, which it definitely isn't. It has lots of funny stuff, but the humor is dark, and there are moments of genuine sadness and pathos. Charlize Theron is very good, and Patton Oswalt is great. Some fine performances and interesting dialogue, and it certainly doesn't sell out in favor of a schmaltzy ending.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levin View Post
              The Muppets and Hugo. Both bored the hell out of me.

The Muppets had way too many self-referential jokes, none of which were that funny.

Hugo was pretty visually, but inert emotionally.
              I tend to agree with Hugo. I thought it was about 20 minutes too long, but the 3D was spectacular. The cinematography was good enough to keep me in it.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                Did anyone go check out Sholmes? How does it compare to the first one?
                Saw it as well and I thought it was entertaining as the first. A nice diversion. Robert Downey is my favorite actor though so I might be a bit biased to like anything he is in.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Mission Impossible. May have been the best one yet. Almost made me want to scale the Burj Khalifa.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    Mission Impossible. May have been the best one yet. Almost made me want to scale the Burj Khalifa.
                    Brad Bird's first live action film. He was the greatest animation film director IMO, Iron Giant, The Incredibles and Ratatouille were all great. It looks like his talent translates over into regular movies too.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      Mission Impossible. May have been the best one yet. Almost made me want to scale the Burj Khalifa.
                      This is getting really good reviews. I may go see it even though it probably fails 75% of my standard checklist for weeding out undesirable movies:

1. Is Tom Cruise in it?
                      2. Does it have lots of CGI?
                      3. Is it a Mission: Impossible sequel?
                      4. Does it feature lesbianism?
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        This is getting really good reviews. I may go see it even though it probably fails 75% of my standard checklist for weeding out undesirable movies:

1. Is Tom Cruise in it?
                        2. Does it have lots of CGI?
                        3. Is it a Mission: Impossible sequel?
                        4. Does it feature lesbianism?
                        There's no lesbianism in MI4?
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          There's no lesbianism in MI4?
                          I said "probably" fails 75%, not definitely fails.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Caught Sherlock Holmes at the matinee today. Not terrible, but I had a tough time staying awake through most of it.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Caught Sherlock Holmes at the matinee today. Not terrible, but I had a tough time staying awake through most of it.
                              I didn't enjoy the first one though. I wanted to. I'm excited to see Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                                I didn't enjoy the first one though. I wanted to. I'm excited to see Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.
                                Have you seen the original trilogy?

I wonder why they feel the need to remake all of the good foreign films.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X