The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sex and Lucia"

I can't say I was entirely sure what was going on, but it was a very creative story structure. And there was lots of nudity (how it received only an R rating is beyond me).
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• "Offside"

It's about six Iranian women who dress up as men in order to attend an Iran-Bahrain soccer match (women are not allowed to attend such events), and are detained. It's a pretty good sports movie, and an interesting insight into the culture.
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• "Volver"

Penelope Cruz is brilliant. And Almodovar does a good job of balancing humor with sentiment.

Comment

• Limitless

About a drug that allows you to access 100% of your brain instead of the measly 10-20% that we all use now. The effects are only good for a few hours, and then you have to take some more. And there are catastrophic side effects. Would you still take this drug?

I know I want me some of that NZT drug.

The opening credits were pretty nice, but then the director overdoes the effect several times throughout the movie.

Then there is one scene toward the end when the Bradley Cooper character, desperate for the drug, gets an idea of how to get some of that drug, and as the audience finally figures out what the character is going to do to get the drug-- a collective groan goes up from everyone in the audience.

I liken it to the scene in Trainspotting, when Ewan McGregor tosses his drugs into the toilet, and then goes back to retrieve them later in a fit of desperation. We see McGregor's face, hazily swimming above the wretched contents of a disgusting public toilet, and as we realize what he is prepared to do, we recoil.

It's the same collective groan of horror.

The Director of Trainspotting, Danny Boyle, revisits this disgusting toilet scene in another of his movies, Slumdog Millionaire. I havent seen 127 Hours, and probably never will, but I think Boyle is very interested in the lengths humans will go to, the utter debasement they are willing to suffer, to get what they want.

As a side note, why do humans only use 10% of their brains? It seems wasteful, physiologically speaking. You'd think that after generations of this happening to the children of men, we'd start growing smaller brains. All that synapse firing only to benefit us as babies? Then by toddler age we set all that brain power to the side and coast toward senility for the rest of our lives? Horribly inefficient.

Maybe that's what heaven is--everyone running around using 90% of their brain. Everyone understanding the mysteries of the universe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            Limitless

About a drug that allows you to access 100% of your brain instead of the measly 10-20% that we all use now. The effects are only good for a few hours, and then you have to take some more. And there are catastrophic side effects. Would you still take this drug?

The opening credits were pretty nice, but then the director overdoes the effect several times throughout the movie.

Then there is one scene toward the end when the Bradley Cooper character, desperate for the drug, gets an idea of how to get some of that drug, and as the audience finally figures out what the character is going to do to get the drug-- a collective groan goes up from everyone in the audience.

I liken it to the scene in Trainspotting, when Ewan McGregor tosses his drugs into the toilet, and then goes back to retrieve them later in a fit of desperation. We see McGregor's face, hazily swimming above the wretched contents of a disgusting public toilet, and as we realize what he is prepared to do, we recoil.

The Director of Trainspotting, Danny Boyle, revisits this disgusting toilet scene in another of his movies, Slumdog Millionaire. I havent seen 127 Hours, and probably never will, but I think Boyle is very interested in the lengths humans will go to, the utter debasement they are willing to suffer, to get what they want.

As a side note, why do humans only use 10% of their brains? It seems wasteful, physiologically speaking. You'd think that after generations of this happening to the children of men, we'd start growing smaller brains. All that synapse firing only to benefit us as babies? Then by toddler age we set all that brain power to the side and coast toward senility for the rest of our lives? Horribly inefficient.

Maybe that's what heaven is--everyone running around using 90% of their brain. Everyone understanding the mysteries of the universe.
            I'll probably see this movie, in part because I'm a sucker for plotlines that center around someone acquiring superhuman intelligence, even if only temporarily, and what they do with it. I've always wondered about a drug that would speed up the brain's computing power so that everything around the person seems to slow down, providing the person with incredible quick reaction time (Jimmer may have this).

As for the 10% usage thing--alas, it's not true, although I usually behave like I'm firing on only a tenth of my mental cyliinders.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...rcent-of-brain

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

Comment

• "Get Low"

Really good. Robert Duvall definitely earned the "best actor" nod, and Bill Murray makes me giggle every time he opens his mouth.

Comment

Limitless ...
                Based in part on what KL wrote, we saw this last night and enjoyed it. Not a great film, but entertaining; it never dragged and and as I mentioned previously, I always enjoy the premise of someone obtaining superhuman mental faculties.

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                I certainly do, too. I'll ask my doc for a prescription at my annual physical. Surely they've completed the FDA trials by now.

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                Having been alerted to this development, I was waiting for it. I was surprised and impressed, yet again, by my wife who saw the possibility instantly and did a rather loud laugh/groan, well ahead of the rest of the audience who joined in quite a bit later. I was proud.

Comment

• "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not"

Good movie. I enjoyed it. Definitely not what I was expecting.

Comment

• Saw Rango tonight.

One of the best kids movies I've seen. My daughter ranks it as her second favorite movie of all time behind The Fantastic Mr. Fox. There are a ton of references to other movies and popular culture that are fun to catch, and the plot is essentially that of several Westerns and Chinatown connected.

I highly recommend it for people with kids over the age of 7.

Comment

• Lincoln Lawyer - not horrible, A little slow moving yet very quick to wrap up. Ok, but wait for streaming.

Comment

• I saw two movies today.

1. Suckerpunch. This was okay. The plot was confusing enough that it took me the better park of the rest of the day to figure out the various levels of reality in the movie (not as many as Inception but also not so cut and dry). The action was what you'd expect from the guy who did 300 and The Watchmen. Lots of stopping mid-strike and flips and stuff. I'd recommend this movie at a matinee price and I'm actually curious to see what it would look like in Imax 3d since you're definitely going for the visuals and not for the plot.

2. It's kind of a funny story. This is one of the better movies I've seen in a LONG time. It has the bearded guy from The Hangover and is about a kid who checks himself into a mental hospital for feeling kind of suicidal and ends up being required to stay there for 5 days. I HATE sappy movies with overly feel-good endings but this movie made me feel good without being insulting. It kind of reminded me of the movie The Good Life only a lot less dark.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                          Saw Rango tonight.

One of the best kids movies I've seen. My daughter ranks it as her second favorite movie of all time behind The Fantastic Mr. Fox. There are a ton of references to other movies and popular culture that are fun to catch, and the plot is essentially that of several Westerns and Chinatown connected.

I highly recommend it for people with kids over the age of 7.
                          I and my kids really liked Rango as well, especially the nods to other Westerns.

Watched Breaking Away tonight. I love that movie, one of my favorites.
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Paul....

Holy crap. Not what you would expect at all.

I laughed my ass off.

Comment

Limitless

WTF? With her incredible breadth of knowledge and expertise I assumed that KL was already on a drug like this.

I saw this movie tonight and enjoyed it quite a bit. A few plots holes here or there, but overall I liked the script and the concept. I thought the ending was great.

PS: I always that that "10% of your brain" thing was a just one of those made-up facts we toss around because it seems interesting to contemplate. How on earth could anyone know (or gauge) something like that anyway?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                                Paul....

Holy crap. Not what you would expect at all.

I laughed my ass off.
                                I've heard good reviews from friends who've seen this.

Comment

Working...
                                X