Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

PAC & clack are some bad muthas.
    Thanks. Why so many of my commutes home had to include duking it out atop a BART car I'll never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Thanks. Why so many of my commutes home had to include duking it out atop a BART car I'll never know.
      Now we need YOhio to put AI to work to cature that history in a visual format.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

We just got home from watching it. Cruise really is amazing. Fun movie--I liked it quite a bit more than Raiders,

I've grown tired of fights on top of moving trains ("Uh, tunnel/cross bar up ahead!"), but I didn't mind this one. Cruise puts a LOT of effort into all of his action scenes.
        Yeah, I took that sequence as an homage of some sort. I mean, come on. It was a coal-fired steam engine.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Oppenheimer: Highly recommend but realize it won't be a film for everyone. As background, my FIL was a physicist at Los Alamos and my wife a graduate of Los Alamos HS who also worked at the lab during summers in college. Over the years, I've been to Los Alamos and the lab many times. I also have had a life-long interest in WWII military history. So this is a subject that I was already familiar.

While not a big fan of Nolan's films (Dunkirk being the exception), I very much enjoyed this one. Cillan Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. give strong performances while Matt Damon and Emily Blunt in minor roles are also good. The cinematography portrays difficult concepts to visualize and even understand, like quantum theory, in a relatable way. Nolan also takes a somewhat unique approach to present parts of the story from Oppenheimer's subjective view such as him suddenly appearing naked in front of a review board. The film also does justice to the legacy of Oppenheimer - a historically significant and complex person. This is the kind of film I wish Hollywood made more of - props to Nolan.
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
            Oppenheimer: Highly recommend but realize it won't be a film for everyone. As background, my FIL was a physicist at Los Alamos and my wife a graduate of Los Alamos HS who also worked at the lab during summers in college. Over the years, I've been to Los Alamos and the lab many times. I also have had a life-long interest in WWII military history. So this is a subject that I was already familiar.

While not a big fan of Nolan's films (Dunkirk being the exception), I very much enjoyed this one. Cillan Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. give strong performances while Matt Damon and Emily Blunt in minor roles are also good. The cinematography portrays difficult concepts to visualize and even understand, like quantum theory, in a relatable way. Nolan also takes a somewhat unique approach to present parts of the story from Oppenheimer's subjective view such as him suddenly appearing naked in front of a review board. The film also does justice to the legacy of Oppenheimer - a historically significant and complex person. This is the kind of film I wish Hollywood made more of - props to Nolan.
            Yeah, I would recommend the Oppenheimer movie. I was a little disappointed that the movie focused more on the political aspect, however, rather than the engineering/scientific achievement. Nevertheless, I expect this movie to get some awards this year.

I also have a very close relative that worked at the lab so I was able to visit it a number of times over the years.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Oppenheimer: Highly recommend but realize it won't be a film for everyone. As background, my FIL was a physicist at Los Alamos and my wife a graduate of Los Alamos HS who also worked at the lab during summers in college. Over the years, I've been to Los Alamos and the lab many times. I also have had a life-long interest in WWII military history. So this is a subject that I was already familiar.

Nice-- any mention of the Los Alamos lab's cousin near Arco, Idaho?
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post

Nice-- any mention of the Los Alamos lab's cousin near Arco, Idaho?
                Not that I picked up on. Several scenes took place in Ernest Lawrence's lab at Berkely and there was a scene at U. of Chicago under the football field where the first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction by Enrico Fermi took place. The Oppenheimer movie ends with the Lewis Strauss senate nomination vote. Like many of his films, Nolan weaves the story through different time periods going back and forth: building the bombs and the trinity test (1942-45), Oppenheimer's security clearance proceedings (1954), Straus's senate nomination hearing (1959), etc.

Maybe we'll have to wait for the sequel for the 1961 nuclear reactor incident in Idaho. Perhaps the sequel can also cover three-mile and Chernobyl but that was pretty well depicted in the 2019 miniseries.
                Last edited by Paperback Writer; 07-24-2023, 01:31 PM.
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Not that I picked up on. Several scenes took place in Ernest Lawrence's lab at Berkely and there was a scene at U. of Chicago under the football field where the first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction by Enrico Fermi took place. The Oppenheimer movie ends with the Lewis Strauss senate nomination vote. Like many of his films, Nolan weaves the story through different time periods going back and forth: building the bombs and the trinity test (1942-45), Oppenheimer's security clearance proceedings (1954), Straus's senate nomination hearing (1959), etc.

Maybe we'll have to wait for the sequel for the 1961 nuclear reactor incident in Idaho. Perhaps the sequel can also cover three-mile and Chernobyl but that was pretty well depicted in the 2019 miniseries.
                  Yeah, that '61 incident I think is still the only nuclear accident to blow up people in the US. Maybe not as bad Chernobyl but still.

My brother and I use to fish on the lost river up by Arco... never saw any three-eyed fish.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Yeah, that '61 incident I think is still the only nuclear accident to blow up people in the US. Maybe not as bad Chernobyl but still.

My brother and I use to fish on the lost river up by Arco... never saw any three-eyed fish.
                    That explains...so much.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• TMNT Mutant Mayhem is a fantastic movie. Nostalgia is perfect. Great music (Tribe, De La Soul, Wu Tang). Paul Rudd.
                      My son and I had an absolute blast watching it.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        TMNT Mutant Mayhem is a fantastic movie. Nostalgia is perfect. Great music (Tribe, De La Soul, Wu Tang). Paul Rudd.
                        My son and I had an absolute blast watching it.
                        Oh snap! Lemme see that cartoon!
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post

Oh snap! Lemme see that cartoon!
                          Also, Ice Cube is another one of the voice actors.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Oppenheimer in 70mm IMAX the way it was made to be seen.

That was really good. also really loud.

I rarely go to the movies, so I should be good for a few years now. Though I will be travelling more, so maybe I will go more often. Hmm.

Comment

• I saw this clip a while back with Norm McDonald savagely going after Carrot Top, and found it quite funny:

Last night, on a whim, I did a search for Chairman of the Board and watched it. Mistake. It was terrible, dated, terrible, and not very good. I considered turning it off right away, but relented, subjecting myself to what can only be described as a form of cinematic torture. The only mitigating factor was that I was tired enough to pull a Moliere, so I was spared from the rest of the movie.

I should have listened to Norm.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• that was 7 minutes and 20 seconds of Norm McDonald not being funny, followed by 5 seconds of Norm McDonald being brilliant. RIP, Norm.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X