No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Asteroid City". DH was closer to the truth in the other thread than I care to admit. Loved the colors and cinematography. But Mrs. NWC, son, and I all felt similarly after watching it; what was the point? Not Anderson's best effort. A B.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      "Asteroid City". DH was closer to the truth in the other thread than I care to admit. Loved the colors and cinematography. But Mrs. NWC, son, and I all felt similarly after watching it; what was the point? Not Anderson's best effort. A B.
      Deep down, you’ve known this for nearly a decade:

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      I feel like Wes Anderson's career arc is on a similar path to that of Tim Burton. Amusing and quirky approach which initially evokes rave reviews. You never know what to expect from him! He responds by stuffing more and more quirk into his films, while using the same handful of actors again and again. Eventually, his films are all schtick and no substance, and while many will continue to laud him as a genius, in reality, the schtick is getting old and you pretty much know exactly what to expect. We're probably still a few WA films from that point, but it sure seems like we're headed there.
      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Good point.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Never was a Tim Burton fan. Love Wes Anderson.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Deep down, you’ve known this for nearly a decade:

Your CS search skills are unrivaled. BUT, I will say that I loved the French Dispatch and I had similar hopes for Asteroid City.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Your CS search skills are unrivaled. BUT, I will say that I loved the French Dispatch and I had similar hopes for Asteroid City.
            We rewatched The Grand Budapest Hotel recently. It is (chef's kiss).

I can't abide people who don't appreciate Wes Anderson.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I can't abide people who don't appreciate Wes Anderson.
              Who's he?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Who's he?

Comment

I looked him up, and I've actually not watched any of his movies. Of course I don't really watch a lot of movies anyway.

Now I do know Les Peterson, not to be confused with his brother Wes. They were both recruiters. Les signed me up 30 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I looked him up, and I've actually not watched any of his movies. Of course I don't really watch a lot of movies anyway.

Now I do know Les Peterson, not to be confused with his brother Wes. They were both recruiters. Les signed me up 30 years ago.
                    You were serious?

Comment

You were serious?

Well I knew he was a director because you've talked about him before. But I couldn't tell you what movies until I looked him up.

What color wedge in Trivial Pursuit was the entertainment one? Yeah, that was very difficult for me to get.

Comment

• I love Tim Burton. I'm such a fan. Not of everything he's ever done, but in general. I mean-- come on. His first feature film was Pee Wee's Big Adventure. That is a Hall of Famer right off the bat-- not to mention he tapped Danny Elfman (who had never done that type of work) to score it, who turned out to be a mammoth in the industry. Oh and then Batman. Edward Scissorhands. Sleepy Hollow. The new Wednesday, which was so much fun. Wes Anderson is cool, too.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          I love Tim Burton. I'm such a fan. Not of everything he's ever done, but in general. I mean-- come on. His first feature film was Pee Wee's Big Adventure. That is a Hall of Famer right off the bat-- not to mention he tapped Danny Elfman (who had never done that type of work) to score it, who turned out to be a mammoth in the industry. Oh and then Batman. Edward Scissorhands. Sleepy Hollow. The new Wednesday, which was so much fun. Wes Anderson is cool, too.
                          OK, I do like several of those. I stand corrected!

Comment

• Speaking of movies, I know a few people that are raving about the new "Sound of Freedom" movie about Tim Ballard. I don't have the hear to tell them that I can't stand the guy and think he is a total charlatan/grifter. Doesn't help that James Caviezel is going around spouting off QAnon BS as he promotes the film. But I am seeing good reviews and a high rating on IMDB (8.3!).

Anyone seen it?

Comment

• I haven't seen it but the correlation in my "friends" group between "Promoting the movie on Social Media" and "Total Whack Job" approaches +1

Comment

Speaking of movies, I know a few people that are raving about the new "Sound of Freedom" movie about Tim Ballard. I don't have the hear to tell them that I can't stand the guy and think he is a total charlatan/grifter. Doesn't help that James Caviezel is going around spouting off QAnon BS as he promotes the film. But I am seeing good reviews and a high rating on IMDB (8.3!).

Anyone seen it?
                                lol he is totally a grifter. He was bouncing off the 'build the wall' crap trying to shoehorn a correlation between human trafficking and anyone in office but Trump; weird how that took a sharp, political turn. Almost like he's part of the MAGA street team. Also, when righties/Utah moms (whose M.O. is calling everybody from South of the Border *that isn't Cuban 'Illegals') are posting him on fb talking about his 'very important work' it just doesn't pass the smell test. And we're supposed to believe he's somehow authorized to do these rogue international Mission Impossible operations to 'save children?' That's about seven bridges too far for me...
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X