The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Armenag View Post
    An American Werewolf in London - Had never seen it. Liked the first part when they're in the moors the best. Out of curiosity, I looked up Ebert's review. He gave it 2/4 stars. Saw that at least one random website listed it as a review he got "wrong." He described it as seeming "curiously unfinished" and I agree. Some cool scenes (stealing a coat at the zoo, stalking the businessman in the underground, etc.) and flashes of a good movie but on the whole it felt a bit incomplete. The famous transformation scene was cool.
    This movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. There are some epic jump scares in this movie, iirc. I still don't have the nerve to rewatch this because I was pretty traumatized.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      I need to see that. The book was really interesting.
      Yeah, i feel pretty confident recommending that movie
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Thor: Ragnarok--- Props to Marvel. While DC can't figure out their ass from their elbow, Marvel knocks a Thor movie out of the park. This is a comic book movie, emphasis on the word 'comic.' Funny and quirky like the first Guardians of the Galaxy, of course great use/juxtaposition of music, and fast-moving. Jeff Goldblum is hilarious in this-- just a great time at the theatre.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
          Thor: Ragnarok--- Props to Marvel. While DC can't figure out their ass from their elbow, Marvel knocks a Thor movie out of the park. This is a comic book movie, emphasis on the word 'comic.' Funny and quirky like the first Guardians of the Galaxy, of course great use/juxtaposition of music, and fast-moving. Jeff Goldblum is hilarious in this-- just a great time at the theatre.
          Watching comic book hero movies is a low IQ tell, bro.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
            Thor: Ragnarok--- Props to Marvel. While DC can't figure out their ass from their elbow, Marvel knocks a Thor movie out of the park. This is a comic book movie, emphasis on the word 'comic.' Funny and quirky like the first Guardians of the Galaxy, of course great use/juxtaposition of music, and fast-moving. Jeff Goldblum is hilarious in this-- just a great time at the theatre.
            It is a hilarious film. Directed by a kiwi who is of Maori descent. Same guy who directed What we Do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and the kiwi favorite "Boy." If you saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople, you will recognize some of the actors and comedic approaches. Quite a few cameos. Lots of funny bits. It was well worth it.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              That's not much of a review, but we'll assume you liked it, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                You forgot to intentionally leave everything in lower case.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  It is a hilarious film. Directed by a kiwi who is of Maori descent. Same guy who directed What we Do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and the kiwi favorite "Boy." If you saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople, you will recognize some of the actors and comedic approaches. Quite a few cameos. Lots of funny bits. It was well worth it.
                  I tight it was hilarious also. One of the better marvel movies.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    You forgot to intentionally leave everything in lower case.
                    That’s a funny line. Destined to be another CS trademark phrase I think.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Eagle Vs. Shark is also funny by him, as are the Flight of the Concords shows he was involved with.

Comment

His take on children is spot on.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• They effectively used Immigrant Song. This is the second best Marvel movie next to the first Guardians of the Galaxy.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• I caught the Thor: Ragnarok movie over the weekend as well, and really enjoyed it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to have more moments where it was trying to get a laugh than any of the prior Marvel movies. Mostly it worked and I enjoyed it, though there were a handful of times I thought they were trying too hard and you only heard 2-3 very loud laughs in the theater from the folks who wanted them to try too hard.

Fun show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              I caught the Thor: Ragnarok movie over the weekend as well, and really enjoyed it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to have more moments where it was trying to get a laugh than any of the prior Marvel movies. Mostly it worked and I enjoyed it, though there were a handful of times I thought they were trying too hard and you only heard 2-3 very loud laughs in the theater from the folks who wanted them to try too hard.

Fun show.
                              A FB friend whose husband professes fealty to Odin and other pagan gods disagrees with your assessment:

Went with the hubby to see Thor last night.....what a massive DISAPPOINTMENT!! We actually walked out. It was like watching Thor but portrayed as a parody or satire. Do not waste your money!! It also seemed to make light of Norse Mythology and the Asatru faith, among other things.I don't profess to be a movie aficianado but just a heads up.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                A FB friend whose husband professes fealty to Odin and other pagan gods disagrees with your assessment:
                                That's hilarious. He thought he was getting a serious movie? Did he catch the first one?

Eh. It's a comic book hero movie.

I'll even admit to thinking the jokes were a little too much at one point. Then I remembered it was a comic book movie that they happen to be using live actors for. So if they want to lean comic book humor heavy, that's their call.

Comment

Working...
                                X