The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    You can't help but swell up with American pride with that line "until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."
    "and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Why did Churchill say this? Why did he choose to qualify his great heroic statement in this way? After all, it gave Nazi propagandists the chance to claim that he was planning to skedaddle, as according to German radio,the war could, of course, never be conducted from another hemisphere unless Churchill and his confederates were there to conduct it.

In fact there was a compelling reason for him to make this statement, which was that the American government wanted him to. The USA of course was still neutral at this stage – Churchill’s initial draft included a reference, which he later deleted by hand, to its ‘strange detachment’ in the face of the Nazi menace. However, President Roosevelt made clear via secret channels that he wanted a commitment from Britain that even if she were defeated she would not surrender her fleet but would send it to South Africa, Australia, Canada and other parts of the Empire. If this were done, American intervention could be expected to follow quickly, he promised. So Churchill was giving him the message that he wanted to hear – a message that is now largely forgotten."
    https://history.blog.gov.uk/2013/12/...famous-speech/

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Keeping up with the Joneses. We really enjoyed this one. Galifinakis was great.
      I'll admit it -- I liked that one too. Galifianakis's character as the very sincere Human Resources guy is hilarious. Isla Fisher and Jon Hamm are really funny too.

It might be the best 19% Rotten Tomatoes movie of all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        I'll admit it -- I liked that one too. Galifianakis's character as the very sincere Human Resources guy is hilarious. Isla Fisher and Jon Hamm are really funny too.

It might be the best 19% Rotten Tomatoes movie of all time.
        I have no idea why the RT score would be so low on that one. If I'd realized that before seeing it, I might have skipped it. Glad I didn't know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I have no idea why the RT score would be so low on that one. If I'd realized that before seeing it, I might have skipped it. Glad I didn't know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          Yeah, it was in my queue but I noticed that the IMDb score was only 5.8, which usually signifies a terrible movie. Maybe I will have to put it back in the queue.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Valerian and the city of latex aliens. Terrible. Terrible. It is pretty to look at for a while, in an "avatar" sort of way, but the acting is awful, the writing is worse and the preachy plot is barely worthy of "a very special episode of Blossom" quality. Don't bother.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Saw Dunkirk in IMAX. Loved it. Nolan has become a master at managing different time sequences. The three different 'stories' came together superbly. Wonderful acting all around, and Rylance was basically perfect. Cinematography was excellent. The scene with Hardy coming in to land was sublime. A- for me.

I estimate that I understood about 75 percent of the dialogue, so that is a fair criticism. I asked Mrs. NWC if she recognized any Nolan 'regulars'; she didn't. So it's mainly film nerds that have this beef.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Finally got around to watching Lion, a best-picture contender from 2016. The wife and I both loved it. Incredible true story, beautifully told.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  Saw Dunkirk in IMAX. Loved it. Nolan has become a master at managing different time sequences. The three different 'stories' came together superbly. Wonderful acting all around, and Rylance was basically perfect. Cinematography was excellent. The scene with Hardy coming in to land was sublime. A- for me.

I estimate that I understood about 75 percent of the dialogue, so that is a fair criticism. I asked Mrs. NWC if she recognized any Nolan 'regulars'; she didn't. So it's mainly film nerds that have this beef.
                  real imax or fake imax?
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    real imax or fake imax?
                    How can you tell the difference?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

How can you tell the difference?
                      http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...ng_format.html
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Saw Dunkirk in IMAX. Loved it. Nolan has become a master at managing different time sequences. The three different 'stories' came together superbly. Wonderful acting all around, and Rylance was basically perfect. Cinematography was excellent. The scene with Hardy coming in to land was sublime. A- for me.

Interesting logic employed there. If you are not Mrs. NWC, then = film geek.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          real imax or fake imax?
                          I call it mini IMAX. Our theater retrofitted one of the rooms for 'IMAX', but the screen is smaller than standard. Sound quality is significantly better. Still have to pay real IMAX money though

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Interesting logic employed there. If you are not Mrs. NWC, then = film geek.
                          Basically, yes.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Basically, yes.
                            I feel like a regular Green Lantern!
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'll probably see Dunkirk when it hits Redbox and view it at home, or what I like to call micro-non-IMAX™.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• We saw the 70mm, with laser projection, on the second largest screen in the country. Only screens near Lincoln Center and in Melbourne are larger. Still too loud, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X