No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw La La Land over the weekend. My wife really loved and i was indifferent to it until the last 15 minutes. This and Arrival really saved themselves with the endings.

Comment

• Saw Rogue One on Saturday in iMax 3D. It was a fun ride. Some nice new characters. (may they RIP).

But here is my thing with Star Wars movies. A big part of the movie is special effects, space battles, and folks shooting each other with those cool space guns. That is fine, but it is essentially the same thing we have seen eight times now, right? The plots are basically the same thing: courageous rebels fighting the evil empire against overwhelming odds. They win another battle, but the war will rage on.

That is fine, but I would much prefer a movie with a fresh plot and some great character development and storytelling. I would take a good plot over CGI any day.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Star Trek Beyond and Jason Bourne both on recent flights. Not fantastic movies but both were fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Saw Rogue One on Saturday in iMax 3D. It was a fun ride. Some nice new characters. (may they RIP).

But here is my thing with Star Wars movies. A big part of the movie is special effects, space battles, and folks shooting each other with those cool space guns. That is fine, but it is essentially the same thing we have seen eight times now, right? The plots are basically the same thing: courageous rebels fighting the evil empire against overwhelming odds. They win another battle, but the war will rage on.

That is fine, but I would much prefer a movie with a fresh plot and some great character development and storytelling. I would take a good plot over CGI any day.
          That is fair and i agree. To be honest, there is lots of potential in the Star Wars universe for thins kind of thing. I would prefer a HBO or Netflix series that could better accomplish this.
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Saw Rogue One on Saturday in iMax 3D. It was a fun ride. Some nice new characters. (may they RIP).

IOW you prefer that Star Wars films weren't so much like Star Wars films?

I saw it a second time over the Holidays in IMAX 3D and even though I dislike wearing those glasses, I though this film was better in that format.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• The most recent Jack Reacher film. And a few other forgettable, so forgettable, I can't remember them even though I watched them yesterday on the planes.

Jack Reacher 2.0 is not worth more than a streaming effort when you are captive on a plane.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                IOW you prefer that Star Wars films weren't so much like Star Wars films?

I saw it a second time over the Holidays in IMAX 3D and even though I dislike wearing those glasses, I though this film was better in that format.
                No, not really. I am fine with the Star Wars gimmicks and format and I understand the market logic, I just prefer more plot and substance. Good movies, but not great.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

No, not really. I am fine with the Star Wars gimmicks and format and I understand the market logic, I just prefer more plot and substance. Good movies, but not great.
                  I like this one more than the one the year before but I'm of the same opinion re:CGI. Star Wars movies are a fun though...finally.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• The Accountant - now I know how WWII vets felt when they went to see the movie Pearl Harbor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      The Accountant - now I know how WWII vets felt when they went to see the movie Pearl Harbor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done.

Comment

• I don't get the Accountant hate. Pretty believable premise that a man with no personality or empathy is an accountant. The assassin part, not so much, but there were times that I laughed out loud and was surprised by. It's not a movie that is going to make you think too much, but I was entertained.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• "Rogue One" - The think I'm done with Star Wars and Marvel movies.

Comment

• Saw La La Land. Liked it. Wanted to like it more, but I hated the ending. Maybe I just want cheap, manipulative endings. But I just didn't get it.

Spoiler for ending analysis:
                            So, I understand the ending is meant to tell us love and marriage and kids aren't the end result of every relationship. That going after their dreams was the most important thing to them and they fulfilled them, so the love story should be seen as secondary. BUT if that wasn't the point, why didn't the director paint both of them as being super happy and satisfied with their lives and when they saw each other in the bar, why wasn't it a happy moment, reconfirming their good choice to pursue their dreams and being happy for the time they had together and acknowledging they're both in better spots now for it. Instead the director clearly meant us to feel sad. They both looked down, they both obviously felt ashamed and wanting and missing what they could have had. They left not feeling uplifted for meeting each other by chance. In my mind, it left us feeling depressed and sad about that chance encounter and what "might have been".

Comment

• Split. It was decent. M. Night's best in awhile though I guess the Visit got decent reviews last year. James McAvoy is really good in it. He's worth the price of admission IMO. Also the epilogue was great if you're an M. Night fan so stay in your seats.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Race - Horribly boring. I fell asleep 30 mins in and woke up with about 20 mins left to go. The Disney formula usually works to at least some level, but it fell really flat here.

Anthropoid - Very good movie. I'd never heard this story before and it's a fascintating story but the movie does it some good justice. I liked the cinematography and thought the acting was superb. The biggest flaw seemed to be the choppy storytelling at the start. We see very little of the preparation the parachutists go through and then, all of the sudden it's go time. I'll admit that I had "Scarecrow" running through my mind at several points as well.

Saints and Soldiers Airborne Creed - Didn't fall asleep in this one. Instead, I got up and left the room to do something else because I was so bored. The first 20 minutes sucked. I don't know about the rest.

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Started off strong with a lot of funny lines. The story was good and well told. Seemed to drag on though. The humor kind of subsided, or maybe I just got immune to it, but it lost that magical touch. Come to think of it, now I can't even remember how it ended. Maybe I feel asleep
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X