The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Danimal View Post
    Soup and I went and saw Wolf over the weekend. We thought it was great. It was long but did not seem long. We're fans of Leo and Jonah Hill though so we may be biased. I was very entertained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What did you find entertaining about it? The rampant fraud by the stockbroker trade, the over the top abuse of women, the drug consumption, and obvious theatre-d-l'absurde approach. I am trying to understand because I don't mind artsy films and some timely placed profanity seems appropriate, but it was profanity, vulgarity and misrepresentation for the sake of making Wall Street look absurd. I understand the point of exaggerating for the sake of emphasizing, but the exaggeration there went to the point of caricature and cartoonish. It was one big cartoon. Plus DiCaprio always looks and feels like his acting. I don't find his portrayals believable. It is almost as if the film were directed by the Jackass producers not by Scorcese. Many people agree with you and not with me.

On the other hand, American Hustle, I found to be slow at times but still the lead actors performed well, with some time specific music and hard-nosed acting.

Please explain what I missed in Wolf, because it really did not connect with me.
    Last edited by Topper; 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I thought Leo's acting was great. He pulled off very well the charismatic up and comer who let's success go to his head and corrupt him. You don't have to agree with corruption, rampant drug use, and over the top use of sex for money services for the story line to be compelling and entertaining.

Comment

I thought Leo's acting was great. He pulled off very well the charismatic up and comer who let's success go to his head and corrupt him. You don't have to agree with corruption, rampant drug use, and over the top use of sex for money services for the story line to be compelling and entertaining.

I am not judging the activities, but the absurdity that a Wall Street employer to have numerous debaucheries occurring at the workplace made me scratch my head. You'd have one complaint and down would go the enterprise.

He wasn't just a up and comer, he analyzed perhaps the psychology of greed to steal from people. However, he knew the stocks he pushed were worthless, outright fraud. Up and comers might "bend" the truth, but they don't manufacture falsehood. That is why the portrayal was one of caricature. I suppose the lack of legitimate accent also made me feel the acting was forced. The difference for me in a strong acting performance if it feels forced, such as, "look at me, I'm acting" versus a work which makes one believe that character is real. I like anti-heroes and the like too.

To me, there was no subtlety. It so black and white debauchery. In my encounters with such worlds, it is much more nuanced, camouflaged and subject to interpretation. There was no room for misinterpretation. The SEC would likely have had everybody in handcuffs in nothing flat.
        Last edited by Topper; 12-30-2013, 11:33 AM.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          I am not judging the activities, but the absurdity that a Wall Street employer to have numerous debaucheries occurring at the workplace made me scratch my head. You'd have one complaint and down would go the enterprise.

He wasn't just a up and comer, he analyzed perhaps the psychology of greed to steal from people. However, he knew the stocks he pushed were worthless, outright fraud. Up and comers might "bend" the truth, but they don't manufacture falsehood. That is why the portrayal was one of caricature. I suppose the lack of legitimate accent also made me feel the acting was forced. The difference for me in a strong acting performance if it feels forced, such as, "look at me, I'm acting" versus a work which makes one believe that character is real. I like anti-heroes and the like too.

To me, there was no subtlety. It so black and white debauchery. In my encounters with such worlds, it is much more nuanced, camouflaged and subject to interpretation. There was no room for misinterpretation. The SEC would likely have had everybody in handcuffs in nothing flat.
          I can see where you're coming from. I mostly avoid movies about my profession for similar reasons. With Wolf - I don't know or care how realistic it was. There was a compelling story line and plenty of interesting material with several actors who I enjoy. Made for a fun 3 hours.

Comment

I can see where you're coming from. I mostly avoid movies about my profession for similar reasons. With Wolf - I don't know or care how realistic it was. There was a compelling story line and plenty of interesting material with several actors who I enjoy. Made for a fun 3 hours.

It was about as realistic as an actor performing open hear surgery. Don't mean to detract from your enjoyment. I am not saying excesses didn't and don't exist or take place because they do, but not so overtly, or at least in a place where oversight could occur. After the fact sometimes the abuses look crass when a spotlight is shined upon a group, but the Wall Street types work very hard. And I agree with the beginning spiel that for the most part, this industry doesn't add value to anything.

Comment

• Guys, let's hear more about the nudity. Not too interested in the profanity.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                Guys, let's hear more about the nudity. Not too interested in the profanity.
                Was talking to someone at work about it today. He said the first two hours were nothing but Leo doing drugs and having sex. Think I'm going to try and see it tonight.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                  That would be a first.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                    Was talking to someone at work about it today. He said the first two hours were nothing but Leo doing drugs and having sex. Think I'm going to try and see it tonight.
                    Two hours of nude scenes with Margot Robbie and Katarina Cas. Yeah, not seeing what the problem is here, Topper.

sigpic

Comment

Guys, let's hear more about the nudity. Not too interested in the profanity.
                      More nudity and sex than any R rated movie I've seen. Not sure why Topper didn't enjoy at least that part.

Comment

More nudity and sex than any R rated movie I've seen. Not sure why Topper didn't enjoy at least that part.

Please break down the nudity into three categories: Margot Robbie nudity, Katarina Cas nudity, and Jean DuJardin nudity, all of which interest me for artistic reasons.

sigpic

Comment

Two hours of nude scenes with Margot Robbie and Katarina Cas. Yeah, not seeing what the problem is here, Topper.

Seriously. This is his description of why it isn't entertaining:

The rampant fraud by the stockbroker trade, the over the top abuse of women, the drug consumption, and obvious theatre-d-l'absurde approach. I am trying to understand because I don't mind artsy films and some timely placed profanity seems appropriate, but it was profanity, vulgarity and misrepresentation for the sake of making Wall Street look absurd.
                          That sounds exactly why it would be entertaining.

Comment

Please break down the nudity into three categories: Margot Robbie nudity, Katarina Cas nudity, and Jean DuJardin nudity, all of which interest me for artistic reasons.
                            lol

Comment

I think I mentioned this already, but it narrowly missed NC-17. They had to cut a few things out to get R.

Comment

I think your inner artist will be quite pleased with the movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X