The Official <PG-13 Movie Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Art Vandelay
    Striving for mediocrity
    • Jul 2009
    • 10516

    #1

    The Official <PG-13 Movie Thread

    It seems whenever I go to rent a movie (yes we still actually go to the local Blockbuster instead of joining the 21st Century with Netflix) the only movies that I have heard are good are inevitably rated R. I need a thread I can quickly access while at the store to make a better choice than last weeks selection "Four Christmases".

    I will start, for those who don't see it in theaters "The Blindside" will be a good rental. Keeping with the Sandra Bullock theme "The Proposal" was dumb, predictable and poorly acted but had 2 or 3 funny scenes if you are forced to compromise on a chick flick.

    Recommended
    • Blindside
    • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adv
    • Shattered Glass
    • La Misma Luna
    • 500 Days of Summer (lukewarm recommendation)
    • What About Bob
    • Raising Arizona
    • Ocean's Eleven
    • Seabiscuit
    • Cast Away
    • Up
    • The Incredibles
    • Walk the Line
    • Hoop Dreams
    • The Best Two Years
    • The King of Kong
    • The Visitor
    • La doublure
    • 十面埋伏 (I have no idea what this means, but see Space Ghost's link below)
    • Le scaphandre et le papillon
    • Serenity (2005)
    • King of California
    • Man on Wire
    • Fantastic Mr. Fox
    • Waking Ned Devine
    • The Prestige
    • The Illusionist
    • Drowning Mona (a guilty pleasure)
    • The Bourne movies
    • Miracle
    • Finding Neverland
    • Rabbit Proof Fence
    • Couples Retreat
    • Tell No One
    • Avatar (in theater)
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 03-01-2010, 02:32 PM.
  • Fiyero
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 5266

    #2
    I'm confused by the <PG-13 formula. Are you asking for ratings of PG and G only?

    Comment

    • Art Vandelay
      Striving for mediocrity
      • Jul 2009
      • 10516

      #3
      Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
      I'm confused by the <PG-13 formula. Are you asking for ratings of PG and G only?
      I don't know how to do the less or equal to sign. I meant G, PG, or PG-13.

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #4
        Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • ewth8tr
          Reverend of Irreverence
          • Nov 2008
          • 2347

          #5
          Anything unrated
          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

          Comment

          • Green Lantern
            Has overcome great fear
            • Aug 2009
            • 2289

            #6
            If you're looking for exciting, intelligent adult fare that meets a "lower than R" criteria, there's a movie from a couple years ago called SHATTERED GLASS that is excellent. It's based on a true story about the writer for the Atlantic who was found to have fabricated most of his stories. Great script, great direction and great acting by Peter Sarsgaard and Hayden Christensen (yep, Anakin Skywalker himself.) It's one I always recommend to people looking for something interesting to watch and I've never heard had a bad response.
            Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

            None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

            I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

            --Portland Ute

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #7
              I finally picked a good movie last Friday. La Misma Luna (Under the Same Moon) was excellent. It is the story of a 9 year old boy illegally entering the US to find his mother in LA. I had to rely on subtitles, those of you who habla better than I do will likely enjoy it even more. I would highly recommend renting it.

              Comment

              • TheBYUGuy
                Friend of Rodin
                • Sep 2009
                • 1442

                #8
                Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                great acting by Peter Sarsgaard and Hayden Christensen (yep, Anakin Skywalker himself.)
                So sometime between 2005 and 2007 he learned how to act?

                Comment

                • JohnnyLingo
                  La Naranja
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 3976

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                  So sometime between 2005 and 2007 he learned how to act?
                  I believe an actor should never be judged by their performance in a Star Wards movie. They are working with a terrible script and subpar directing.

                  Comment

                  • Art Vandelay
                    Striving for mediocrity
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10516

                    #10
                    I may be the only interested in this thread, but I will keep it going. I will give 500 days of Summer a lukewarm recommendation. There were 2 or 3 funny parts, but most of it felt like a high quality film school project with a look at how non-pretentious we are vibe to it.

                    I will keep an updated list with the first post of this thread.

                    Comment

                    • JohnnyLingo
                      La Naranja
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 3976

                      #11
                      [YOUTUBE]1RUBEXtWLdE[/YOUTUBE]

                      I got UHF for Christmas. Watched it for the first time in a decade or so and was pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up. Very funny.

                      Comment

                      • Green Lantern
                        Has overcome great fear
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 2289

                        #12
                        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                        I believe an actor should never be judged by their performance in a Star Wards movie. They are working with a terrible script and subpar directing.
                        So true.
                        Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                        None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                        I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                        --Portland Ute

                        Comment

                        • Fiyero
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5266

                          #13
                          Are you looking for DVDs that you individually would enjoy, or for the whole family to watch together?

                          Comment

                          • Art Vandelay
                            Striving for mediocrity
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 10516

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                            Are you looking for DVDs that you individually would enjoy, or for the whole family to watch together?
                            Either or. But generally when I head to Blockbuster I'm looking for something that Mrs. V and I can watch together.

                            Comment

                            • Green Lantern
                              Has overcome great fear
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 2289

                              #15
                              I'm going to put forth a recent one that's not on DVD yet: THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX. It's okay for the kids (my 4-year old loved it) but it still has the quirky indie sensibility of Wes Anderson's other movies like RUSHMORE and THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS. Great stop-motion animation too.
                              Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                              None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                              I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                              --Portland Ute

                              Comment

                              Working...