Fantastic Mr. Fox

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BoylenOver
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 9146

    #1

    Fantastic Mr. Fox

    I really liked it. Definitely kid-friendly, and I enjoyed it. The animation is great, George Clooney is a true pro, the soundtrack is clever, and Wes Anderson does a great job making it emotionally accessible (my biggest problem with his previous movies).
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute
  • DU Ute
    RIP CUF
    • Dec 2008
    • 7393

    #2
    You've been in the UC too long. We're going to stage an intervention.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

    Comment

    • Commando
      Explosivo
      • Feb 2009
      • 20748

      #3
      Don't be so prejudiced. This show's getting a unanimously positive critical response as the best Roald Dahl screen adaption to date. Boylen's more than likely on point here.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #4
        We went and saw it tonight. We had read the book to the boys about 6 months ago, the movie was pretty different, but still enjoyable. A different kind of animation than I had seen before.

        It made me miss the old SU avatar.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • Green Lantern
          Has overcome great fear
          • Aug 2009
          • 2289

          #5
          I took my 4-year old daughter on Friday and we both enjoyed it. I'm already a huge Wes Anderson fan so I was thrilled to see how completely he he was able to transfer his style over into animation. It made me curious to see other similarly idiosyncratic directors try their hands at animated films. Like, I don't know, the Coen Brothers or Sam Raimi.

          Also, because of this movie I have decided to replace all of my bad language with the word "cuss." "Are you cussing with me?" "No, are you cussing with ME?"
          Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

          None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

          I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

          --Portland Ute

          Comment

          • PaloAltoCougar
            Semper infra dignitatem
            • Nov 2008
            • 16937

            #6
            Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
            I took my 4-year old daughter on Friday and we both enjoyed it. I'm already a huge Wes Anderson fan so I was thrilled to see how completely he he was able to transfer his style over into animation. It made me curious to see other similarly idiosyncratic directors try their hands at animated films. Like, I don't know, the Coen Brothers or Sam Raimi.

            Also, because of this movie I have decided to replace all of my bad language with the word "cuss." "Are you cussing with me?" "No, are you cussing with ME?"
            We (ages ranging from 57 to 4) enjoyed the movie as well. And I liked when one of the capers went badly Mr. Fox referred to it as a major clustercuss.

            The stop motion animation was weird but fun.

            Comment

            • Green Lantern
              Has overcome great fear
              • Aug 2009
              • 2289

              #7
              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              The stop motion animation was weird but fun.
              I read that the animation director came from the Will Vinton studios. Vinton's company was responsible for the California Raisin ads back in the day.
              Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

              None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

              I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

              --Portland Ute

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                I must have missed the thread entirely.

                I took the Puffy Check to see this tonight at the dollar theater. I knew nothing about the release of this movie. About 10 minutes into it, I am thinking to myself, "this is like watching the royal tenenbaums." The music was distinctive and the dialogue was unmistakably droll and offbeat. Sure enough, at the end of the movie, the credits roll...."Directed by Wes Anderson."

                My kids thought it was boring but after about 30 minutes they had bought into the style and wound up enjoying it. It certaintly takes a bit of adjustment for a small child. I noticed that many of the kids around us were restless, asking when the movie was going to be over, etc.

                I loved it. If you are a fan of Wes Anderson and particularly of TRT, you will likely enjoy this.

                Speaking of the usage of "cuss," there is one scene at the very end (the ambush) that very briefly shows some graffiti spray painted on the wall. It says "Cuff Me." I thought that was a clever extension of the running bit.

                Also, there are a couple of shots that seem to borrow from scenes in his other movies. One in particular when Kristofferson is on the ground (after falling and smashing his little box)...the camera pans up directly from his face just like in TRT when the camera pans up and away from Richie's face. In fact, I noticed Kristofferson is actually wearing a headband-type cloth around his head, a la Richie. very clever.

                I can't wait for this dvd to come out in a couple of weeks.

                PS I wish wes had done the James and the Giant Peach movie.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • RobinFinderson
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10548

                  #9
                  Hmmm... I remember posting about this film before. We loved it! We haven't purchased a copy of a film in years, but we will probably pick this one up. Definitely my pick for best animated feature, though it is hard to imagine it standing a chance against Up.

                  Speaking of Up, the story was seriously lame. The coolness of Up can be summarized thus: An amazing opening montage of the couple's life and talking dogs.

                  Comment

                  Working...