Sodomy and kids' movies

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • marsupial
    Mississippi Queen
    • Nov 2008
    • 3678

    #1

    Sodomy and kids' movies

    I am planning on taking my kids to Planet 51 tomorrow. I invited a friend from church who hadn't heard about it and wanted to know more about the content. I found the review below.

    This animated film includes depictions of alien attacks, soldiers being vaporized, weapon use, destroyed buildings and massive explosions. Characters fear being brainwashed or eaten, causing one child to vomit. A man’s fingers are caught in a car door and he is pulled down the street. Characters with guns destroy a bowling alley and other places of business. Alien visitors are shot at and locked in cages. Soldiers are given orders to shoot one another and later they are subjected to electrocution. Two men have their brains surgically removed and another man is threatened with the same fate. The script contains suggestive comments about male and female anatomy, mating practices and suppositories. As well there are portrayals of misinterpreted actions between two men. A brief, veiled reference to sodomy is made along with other sexual innuendo. Characters’ naked buttocks are seen momentarily. The script contains some name-calling and a profanity.
    Has anyone seen this movie? How/Why in the world are they including a sodomy reference in a kids' movie?

    I really like movies like Toy Story that can appeal to a more mature sense of humor without having to resort to sexual innuendo.

    We will see this movie anyway. My kids are already counting on it.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
    -Teenage Dirtbag
  • Commando
    Explosivo
    • Feb 2009
    • 20748

    #2
    Originally posted by marsupial View Post
    I am planning on taking my kids to Planet 51 tomorrow. I invited a friend from church who hadn't heard about it and wanted to know more about the content. I found the review below.



    Has anyone seen this movie? How/Why in the world are they including a sodomy reference in a kids' movie?

    We will see this movie anyway. My kids are already counting on it.
    I guess the obvious answer is the aliens/anal probe motif. I doubt it's sexual.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

    Comment

    • Slim
      Straight Out the Trailer
      • Jul 2009
      • 1007

      #3
      Could be something as simple as "I'll tell you where to put it". I'm pretty confident this movie does not contain any actual sodomy.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37975

        #4
        I've seen the movie. There's a re-enactment of a certain scene from Pulp Fiction. You wouldn't know it was a sodomy reference if you hadn't seen Pulp Fiction, though.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Commando
          Explosivo
          • Feb 2009
          • 20748

          #5
          Bring in the Gimp
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

          Comment

          • marsupial
            Mississippi Queen
            • Nov 2008
            • 3678

            #6
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I've seen the movie. There's a re-enactment of a certain scene from Pulp Fiction. You wouldn't know it was a sodomy reference if you hadn't seen Pulp Fiction, though.
            Thanks. It sounds like from the reviews that they allude to several other popular movies in this one.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

            Comment

            • BoylenOver
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 9146

              #7
              Originally posted by marsupial View Post
              Thanks. It sounds like from the reviews that they allude to several other popular movies in this one.
              I saw a movie review show Sunday night. One of the reviewers was A.O. Scott.

              Anyway, both of them couldn't denigrate this movie you're planning on seeing enough. They said it was too raunchy for a kid's film, and they hated how all of this adult material was shrouded in 3-D animation.
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

              Comment

              • BoylenOver
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 9146

                #8
                Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Bring in the Gimp
                But he's asleep!
                "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                Comment

                • marsupial
                  Mississippi Queen
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 3678

                  #9
                  Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                  I saw a movie review show Sunday night. One of the reviewers was A.O. Scott.

                  Anyway, both of them couldn't denigrate this movie you're planning on seeing enough. They said it was too raunchy for a kid's film, and they hated how all of this adult material was shrouded in 3-D animation.
                  Hmm...The only other kid movie playing right now in our theater is A Christmas Carol. I would go see that, but I am also taking two friends from the neighborhood and they're Muslim. I am not sure if that one would go over so well. Maybe I should take the kids and do something else.
                  What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                  -Teenage Dirtbag

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #10
                    From a review I read, it seems that there is a joke whereby one character provides another character a cork to stick in his anus in order to prevent anal probing by the alien. I would not be surprised if that is the reference to sodomy. Not the same as Shawshank, perhaps, but not exceptionally high-brow either.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • BoylenOver
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 9146

                      #11
                      Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                      Hmm...The only other kid movie playing right now in our theater is A Christmas Carol. I would go see that, but I am also taking two friends from the neighborhood and they're Muslim. I am not sure if that one would go over so well. Maybe I should take the kids and do something else.
                      Fantastic Mr. Fox is the new Wes Anderson movie, and it's rated PG. I've heard positive reviews so far.
                      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                      Comment

                      • marsupial
                        Mississippi Queen
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 3678

                        #12
                        Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                        Fantastic Mr. Fox is the new Wes Anderson movie, and it's rated PG. I've heard positive reviews so far.
                        Good idea. Except that I think it came out today (not yesterday when we were going). Maybe I will take them tomorrow.
                        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                        -Teenage Dirtbag

                        Comment

                        • BoylenOver
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 9146

                          #13
                          Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                          Good idea. Except that I think it came out today (not yesterday when we were going). Maybe I will take them tomorrow.
                          D'oh! What did you end up seeing/doing?
                          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                          Comment

                          • marsupial
                            Mississippi Queen
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 3678

                            #14
                            Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                            D'oh! What did you end up seeing/doing?
                            We went to Gatti Town which is an abomination. It is Chuck E. Cheese meets CiCi's pizza. They loved it. My son had won a gift card to this horrid place and I had been putting off cashing it in, but I promised to take them to the movies and I needed an acceptable replacement.
                            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                            -Teenage Dirtbag

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37975

                              #15
                              Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                              Fantastic Mr. Fox is the new Wes Anderson movie, and it's rated PG. I've heard positive reviews so far.
                              This was one of my favorite books as a kid. i read it over and over. I'm excited to see it.

                              I also like Wes Anderson. I just wonder if he's aware that there are other actors working in Hollywood besides Bill Murray, Owen Wilson and Jason Schwartzman.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              Working...