Cut it down to 3:05

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #1

    Cut it down to 3:05

    Who doesn't love the Entertainer? The synth intro is tops and the banjo line that comes in halfway through gives it a down home vibe. It's like the Reading Rainbow meets Deliverance at the State Fair.

    [YOUTUBE]H3z4T27goog[/YOUTUBE]

    Any other Billy Joel favs?
  • Donuthole
    Official Outgayer
    • Nov 2008
    • 25267

    #2
    I love that song. I knew exactly what this thread was going to be about based on the title. Billy Joel's Gretest Hits Vol. 1 & 2 was a part of my first order from BMG in high school. I still have it, and I still listen to it every so often.

    "The Entertainer" is one of my faves. I also love "Piano Man," "She's Always a Woman," "You May Be Right," and "She's Got a Way".

    Some great, great lyrics in some of those songs.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

    Comment

    • TheBYUGuy
      Friend of Rodin
      • Sep 2009
      • 1442

      #3
      The Piano Man is my favorite artist and much of my playing has been influence by him. In high school, I played (piano and harmonica) and sang in front of the full auditorium and left the crowd in awe. The crowd really got a kick out of "He knows that it's me they've been comin' to see".

      Most of my favorite Billy Joel songs are the ones not on the Greatest Hits I & II albums.

      Zanzibar (52nd Street is my favorite album because of the jazz stuff)
      Root Beer Rag
      Miami 2017
      Two Thousand Years
      Lullabye (my kids have loved hearing this one as I put them to bed)
      Scenes from an Italian Restaurant

      The Entertainer is also up there.

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25267

        #4
        Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
        The Piano Man is my favorite artist and much of my playing has been influence by him. In high school, I played (piano and harmonica) and sang in front of the full auditorium and left the crowd in awe. The crowd really got a kick out of "He knows that it's me they've been comin' to see".

        Most of my favorite Billy Joel songs are the ones not on the Greatest Hits I & II albums.

        Zanzibar (52nd Street is my favorite album because of the jazz stuff)
        Root Beer Rag
        Miami 2017
        Two Thousand Years
        Lullabye (my kids have loved hearing this one as I put them to bed)
        Scenes from an Italian Restaurant

        The Entertainer is also up there.
        FTR, this song is on the Greatest Hits I & II album.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • CJF
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 8497

          #5
          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          Who doesn't love the Entertainer?

          Any other Billy Joel favs?
          I love Billy Joel. I wish I could make it to the Billy Joel Elton John concert. Like DH, I got the greatest hits early and still listen to it from time to time. I've got an old Billy Joel concert on DVR that I will turn on for my son. He's likes to dance to his music. I don't know why, but I'm also a sucker for Ballad of Billy the Kid.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

          Comment

          • creekster
            It is NOT a monkey!
            • Nov 2008
            • 22661

            #6
            I always thoght Billy Joel should have written for broadway musicals. WOuldnt you all like to know more about Brenda(er) and Eddie?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

            Comment

            • CJF
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 8497

              #7
              Originally posted by creekster View Post
              I always thoght Billy Joel should have written for broadway musicals. WOuldnt you all like to know more about Brenda(er) and Eddie?
              I went to school in Maine and would drive across the country at least twice a year. I was always looking for things that would keep me from falling asleep and driving off the road. I found a Billy Joel disc set where he sat around with a group of students (NYU I believe) and discussed his music and then played the song they discussed. It's been several years since I listened to it but I seem to recall a long discussion around Italian Restaurant. I remember thinking at the time it would make a great play.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

              Comment

              • TheBYUGuy
                Friend of Rodin
                • Sep 2009
                • 1442

                #8
                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                FTR, this song is on the Greatest Hits I & II album.
                Of course. FTR, I said "most".

                Comment

                • TheBYUGuy
                  Friend of Rodin
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 1442

                  #9
                  Originally posted by CJF View Post
                  I love Billy Joel. I wish I could make it to the Billy Joel Elton John concert. Like DH, I got the greatest hits early and still listen to it from time to time. I've got an old Billy Joel concert on DVR that I will turn on for my son. He's likes to dance to his music. I don't know why, but I'm also a sucker for Ballad of Billy the Kid.
                  We went to the concert in March. I was expecting Billy to sound like an old man as he has in recent years, but his voice was surprisingly smooth and he put on a great show. Elton did a lot of cheating with his voice, i.e. playing songs in a lower key, having the crowd sing sections where he didn't have a chance to hit the notes, improvising the melody so it doesn't go as high, etc.

                  I also like The Ballad of Billy the Kid for some reason. I think it's the part where he robs his way from Utah to Oklahoma that catches me.

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #10
                    I remember as a young kid I snuck into my big sister's room and took some of her tapes to listen to. It was back in the day when all we had was one of the generic "tape recorders." One speaker, a small handle, and that red "record" button where you had to push down "play" and "record" at the same time.

                    Anyway, she had several tapes, but I distinctly remember 2 of them.....one was Blondie's "Eat to the Beat" and one was Billy Joel "Glass Houses." I think I listened to both of those tapes 20 times, at least.

                    My favorite tracks on "Glass Houses" were "Don't Ask Me Why" and of course, "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me." I had countless arguments with my older brother and sister over the lyrics: "You could really be a Beau Brummell baby If you just give it half a chance." None of us knew who Beau Brummell was and there was no internet at the time. Also, many albums still didnt come with lyrics in the liner notes. I think I argued for "you could really be a bold runner, baby, if you just give it half a chance..." lol. that makes no sense, of course.

                    For those that are familiar with that album, the opening track is "You May Be Right." The coolest thing about that track was the opening sample.....a rock smashing through this massive plate glass, much like the picture on the album cover. Up until the early 80s, we had one of those old school wooden console record player things in our living room....it looked like a massive piece of furniture and weighed about 200 pounds. Not sure if people remember those.

                    When we finally purchased a "component" stereo with big speakers for our living room, I felt like our home had been converted into a professional recording studio or something. My mom let me choose the first tape to be played on that stereo system. So I grabbed "Glass Houses" and cranked it up to 11......SMASH!!!!! Hearing that glass smash through the house in stereo, my mom covering her ears and yelling at me to turn it down.....man, that was rock and freaking roll right there. I still remember that day pretty clearly.

                    Glass Houses rules. Still love it to this day.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #11
                      What's really cool about Billy Joel is he took the discussions and was so impressed by the Tree of Life allegory that he wrote the River of Dreams. It's really quite amazing how much influence we Mormons have on popular culture, from U2's One to Yoda and also River of Dreams.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • CJF
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8497

                        #12
                        Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                        We went to the concert in March. I was expecting Billy to sound like an old man as he has in recent years, but his voice was surprisingly smooth and he put on a great show. Elton did a lot of cheating with his voice, i.e. playing songs in a lower key, having the crowd sing sections where he didn't have a chance to hit the notes, improvising the melody so it doesn't go as high, etc.

                        I also like The Ballad of Billy the Kid for some reason. I think it's the part where he robs his way from Utah to Oklahoma that catches me.
                        Thanks for the report. That makes me feel better about missing the show. I've seen Billy Joel in concert a few times and thought he was great, even in the Delta Center. Now I won't feel too bad.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37983

                          #13
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Up until the early 80s, we had one of those old school wooden console record player things in our living room....it looked like a massive piece of furniture and weighed about 200 pounds. Not sure if people remember those.
                          We had one of those. It was about 3 feet high and about 6 feet long. At least that's how big it seemed when I was a kid. All for one record! My dad had a record of Axel F and we (kids) played it every time we could, pretending we knew how to break dance to it. I even kept some old cardboard box just to practice on.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Color Me Badd Fan
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12519

                            #14
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            We had one of those. It was about 3 feet high and about 6 feet long. At least that's how big it seemed when I was a kid. All for one record! My dad had a record of Axel F and we (kids) played it every time we could, pretending we knew how to break dance to it. I even kept some old cardboard box just to practice on.
                            I would seriously buy a console if they still made them. My dad somehow got all the records that belonged to his younger sister in high school. We had a ton of Beatles and Beach Boy singles.

                            We also had a console TV (a Zenith!) that my parents bought around 1974. So it was older than me. That beauty lasted until around 1992.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                            Comment

                            Working...