No announcement yet.

Breaking Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chile is a horrible country on which to base the invented back story of a black man. With 0.1% of the population claiming African ancestry, we're talking about 17,000 in a country of 17,000,000. Besides, any fluent Spanish speaker can tell that Gus is not a native Spanish speaker.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Chile is a horrible country on which to base the invented back story of a black man. With 0.1% of the population claiming African ancestry, we're talking about 17,000 in a country of 17,000,000. Besides, any fluent Spanish speaker can tell that Gus is not a native Spanish speaker.
      I was surprised how bad his Spanish was. Honestly, I thought he was a native speaker. IDK, Giancarlo Esposito? I connected that name to a Spanish background somehow. He's not as bad as Tio, though. Wow!

There were some people bitching about that in Sepinwall's comments section as well. You do all the Spanish stuff for authenticity, but then so many of the actors sound so inauthentic speaking it.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        I was surprised how bad his Spanish was. Honestly, I thought he was a native speaker. IDK, Giancarlo Esposito? I connected that name to a Spanish background somehow. He's not as bad as Tio, though. Wow!

There were some people bitching about that in Sepinwall's comments section as well. You do all the Spanish stuff for authenticity, but then so many of the actors sound so inauthentic speaking it.
        It's not bad, per se, he just is too stilted in his pronunciation to EVER be convincing as a chileno. No way, no how. Giancarlo sounds Italian to me. But, I know lots of girls from these parts named Juanita who are about as Hispanic as the Iditarod.

Spoiler for stuff:
        Also, I don't believe that Gus is grooming Jesse to be his lover. Who would groom an ex-junkie who you suspect might want to kill you to be their lover?
        That don't make no sensuh.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Hell of an episode tonight.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by camleish View Post
            Hell of an episode tonight.
            Yep, fantastic stuff. Saul Goodman's pocket square, especially!
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• Originally posted by camleish View Post
              Hell of an episode tonight.
              That is the kind of quality we came to expect from the first two seasons. Fitting then than we once again get to see Walt in his tighty-whities.

And what do you think...

Spoiler for Spoiler speculation:
              Does Jesse take out Gus and Mike in their weakened condition? Or does he stay true to his 'father' Walt, to whom he is more of a son than Walt Jr.?
              Last edited by RobinFinderson; 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                That is the kind of quality we came to expect from the first two seasons. Fitting then than we once again get to see Walt in his tighty-whities.

And what do you think...

Spoiler for Spoiler speculation:
                Does Jesse take out Gus and Mike in their weakened condition? Or does he stay true to his 'father' Walt, to whom he is more of a son than Walt Jr.?
                Excellent first question, but I am not sure the second question follows the first.

Spoiler for also:
                I loved the car that Skyler got for Walt, Jr. Hilarious.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Excellent first question, but I am not sure the second question follows the first.

Spoiler for also:
                  I loved the car that Skyler got for Walt, Jr. Hilarious.
                  The PT fits the family's style... don't forget that Walter drives that Aztec. Funny stuff.

Here is my read on why the second question follows the first.

Spoiler for more speculation:
                  So Walter has always been a father figure to Jesse, except Walter has always been a terrible father, both to Jesse and Walt Jr. For a while there I was in agreement with the Salon writer who speculated that Gus is gay, and that his dead chemist was his lover. Now I simply think that Gus was a father figure to the murdered chemist, and that he sees himself as a father-figure to Jesse, who has now established his worthiness as a good son. Jesse's cooking skills make Walt a superfluous member of Gus's team. A chemist of Walt's ability could be important to have around, when it comes to R&D, but Jesse knows how to mix the 'eleven herbs and spices' that make the Los Pollos Hermanos product so delectable. If Gus is cleaning house, it may be time to put Walt into a metal drum, meaning the arrival of the ominous black guy to bring Walt to 'work' might be the beginning of something else all together.

So Jesse is in a position to pick his father. Will it be Walt or will it be Gus?

Of course it will be Walt, but last week's fight between Walt and Jesse, along with the buildup of Jesse as a critical part of Gus's operation, create the dramatic tension needed to make the choice satisfying.

Finally, if this season can be understood as a choice between two fathers, next season will be the choice between two sons, and Walt will have to come to terms with the fallout of his being a terrible father.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    The PT fits the family's style... don't forget that Walter drives that Aztec. Funny stuff.

Here is my read on why the second question follows the first.

Spoiler for more speculation:
                    So Walter has always been a father figure to Jesse, except Walter has always been a terrible father, both to Jesse and Walt Jr. For a while there I was in agreement with the Salon writer who speculated that Gus is gay, and that his dead chemist was his lover. Now I simply think that Gus was a father figure to the murdered chemist, and that he sees himself as a father-figure to Jesse, who has now established his worthiness as a good son. Jesse's cooking skills make Walt a superfluous member of Gus's team. A chemist of Walt's ability could be important to have around, when it comes to R&D, but Jesse knows how to mix the 'eleven herbs and spices' that make the Los Pollos Hermanos product so delectable. If Gus is cleaning house, it may be time to put Walt into a metal drum, meaning the arrival of the ominous black guy to bring Walt to 'work' might be the beginning of something else all together.

So Jesse is in a position to pick his father. Will it be Walt or will it be Gus?

Of course it will be Walt, but last week's fight between Walt and Jesse, along with the buildup of Jesse as a critical part of Gus's operation, create the dramatic tension needed to make the choice satisfying.

Finally, if this season can be understood as a choice between two fathers, next season will be the choice between two sons, and Walt will have to come to terms with the fallout of his being a terrible father.
                    Sure. But...

Spoiler for reply:

You wrote:

The "or" confuses me. Walt has been pressuring Jesse for weeks to kill Gus. Wouldn't taking out Gus and Mike represent being true to Walt?

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Sure. But...

Spoiler for reply:

You wrote:

The "or" confuses me. Walt has been pressuring Jesse for weeks to kill Gus. Wouldn't taking out Gus and Mike represent being true to Walt?

Gotcha. Poor sentence construction.

Comment

• And skyler returns to her position as maybe my most hated character currently on tv.

Comment

• Incredible episode last night. Holy cow.
                          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• One more episode this season?

Comment

• Spoiler for SPOILER:
                              1. so is ted dead? i think the twitching fingers is supposed to signify that he is. i love the shot of the oranges following.

2. also, the end of the episode seemed like gus had called in the hit; i thought the discussion of walt in the desert made it seem like walt had a bit of time.

3. did skyler give more than the $650k to ted? when she was stuffing the money into the clothes bags, it looked like a hell of a lot more than that.

Comment

• This is the 1st season that I've watched while it is still airing. Every other season I've started after it was finished. It is driving me nuts having to wait a week after the past 2 episodes.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X