Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #1

    Something Wicked This Way Comes!

    I love Halloween. Even though I am a fraidy-cat.

    This year, we are beginning to pull out all of the stops.

    I have a really creepy fake cemetery in my front yard right now. My costume is pretty scary (involves all sorts of pretty gothic elements). I am going to put the finishing touches on the cobwebs on the outside of my home, among other things (I'm replacing the front porch lights with blacklights and a few other things - but I did stop just short of getting glow-in-the-dark contact lenses).

    I am also putting together some pretty creepy music/SFX. I have a bunch of creepy natural sounds (creaky floors, wind, etc.) that I will be playing on two stereos outside. And now I'm trying to put together some creepy indoor music.

    Does anybody have any thoughts? iTunes is helping out a bunch but I know there are several people who have great knowledge of classical music (which I do not). I am trying to limit it to one-instrument pieces (i.e., organ/piano/violin solos) as opposed to full orchestra pieces. The idea is that for a night my home will become the Creepy Suburb Landscaped Lawn Castle of Count Nosferatu or some such thing. Any kid who dares ring my bell gets extra candy.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #2
    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    I love Halloween. Even though I am a fraidy-cat.

    This year, we are beginning to pull out all of the stops.

    I have a really creepy fake cemetery in my front yard right now. My costume is pretty scary (involves all sorts of pretty gothic elements). I am going to put the finishing touches on the cobwebs on the outside of my home, among other things (I'm replacing the front porch lights with blacklights and a few other things - but I did stop just short of getting glow-in-the-dark contact lenses).

    I am also putting together some pretty creepy music/SFX. I have a bunch of creepy natural sounds (creaky floors, wind, etc.) that I will be playing on two stereos outside. And now I'm trying to put together some creepy indoor music.

    Does anybody have any thoughts? iTunes is helping out a bunch but I know there are several people who have great knowledge of classical music (which I do not). I am trying to limit it to one-instrument pieces (i.e., organ/piano/violin solos) as opposed to full orchestra pieces. The idea is that for a night my home will become the Creepy Suburb Landscaped Lawn Castle of Count Nosferatu or some such thing. Any kid who dares ring my bell gets extra candy.
    This song is creepy at the beginning:
    [YOUTUBE]
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1fsc0UFRyhU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1fsc0UFRyhU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • Babs
      Not a Lawyer
      • Nov 2008
      • 17128

      #3
      why do you want solo works? to give the effect of some creepy old guy ghoulishly fiddling away in a corner?

      Comment

      • Babs
        Not a Lawyer
        • Nov 2008
        • 17128

        #4
        found a solo transcription of Bald Mountain:

        [YOUTUBE]X0-WjPyY9gY[/YOUTUBE]

        Comment

        • Babs
          Not a Lawyer
          • Nov 2008
          • 17128

          #5
          [YOUTUBE]ipzR9bhei_o[/YOUTUBE]

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #6
            Originally posted by Babs View Post
            [YOUTUBE]ipzR9bhei_o[/YOUTUBE]
            That reminds me of Close Encounters.

            [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tUcOaGawIW0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tUcOaGawIW0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Babs
              Not a Lawyer
              • Nov 2008
              • 17128

              #7
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              That reminds me of Close Encounters.
              I think of that movie every time I eat mashed potatoes.

              Comment

              • Pheidippides
                Liberal Feminazi
                • Nov 2008
                • 14759

                #8
                Originally posted by Babs View Post
                why do you want solo works? to give the effect of some creepy old guy ghoulishly fiddling away in a corner?
                What, you think I'd be better served to go with the illusion of an entire chamber orchestra chillin' in my den?

                Originally posted by Babs View Post
                found a solo transcription of Bald Mountain:

                [YOUTUBE]X0-WjPyY9gY[/YOUTUBE]
                I'm barely competent enough to read that. I wish I could play it.

                And how could I not have that Bach piece? It is iconic.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                Comment

                • Flystripper
                  Degenerate Gambler
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14089

                  #9
                  here is a creepy song ...I dunno who wrote it though it is simple enough you could pick it out.

                  [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0XOfE96ABFI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0XOfE96ABFI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

                  Comment

                  • Flystripper
                    Degenerate Gambler
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14089

                    #10
                    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbB5uffpUPs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbB5uffpUPs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

                    Comment

                    • Fiyero
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5266

                      #11
                      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      I have a really creepy fake cemetery in my front yard right now.
                      Post a photo, and let's see how long it takes Robin to find it.

                      Comment

                      • ERCougar
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10978

                        #12
                        It doesn't get more Halloween than the Dies Irae. There are a billion classical/popular songs that include it as a theme, from Wagner to Liszt to the Shining theme.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                        Comment

                        Working...