The "what are you listening to at this very moment" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s/t - James Blake
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Halcyon digest - deerhunter

Comment

• Grown Ocean - Fleet Foxes

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Grown Ocean - Fleet Foxes
          "Helplessness Blues" is very Fleet Foxes-y. I liked it the first time I listened to it the other day.
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• Okay, I'm ready to start listening to some new stuff. Here is my to do list so far:

Belong by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
            Codes And Keys by Death Cab for Cutie
            Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes
            Angles by The Strokes
            Suck It & See by Arctic Monkeys
            The King Is Dead by The Decemberists
            Kiss Each Other Clean by Iron & Wine
            Zonoscope by Cut Copy
            Long Player Late Bloomer by Ron Sexsmith
            The Valley by Eisley
            The Cold Still by The Boxer Rebellion
            Femme Fatale by Britney Spears
            Gimme Some by Peter Bjorn and John

Anyone listened to any of these and have a comment? Anything major I am overlooking (apart from Radiohead)? TIA.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
              Okay, I'm ready to start listening to some new stuff. Here is my to do list so far:

Angles by The Strokes
              Zonoscope by Cut Copy
              The Valley by Eisley

Anyone listened to any of these and have a comment? Anything major I am overlooking (apart from Radiohead)? TIA.

I've generally been disappointed by the Arctic Monkeys. They had a clever marketing campaign when they rolled out and a couple of catchy early hits but I find their sound samey and uninspired.

Before making other suggestions - is this basically a "I'm catching up on the past decade of music" list?

If so I'd say Franz Ferdinand is an indispensable player in the period.
              Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                Before making other suggestions - is this basically a "I'm catching up on the past decade of music" list?
                *rolls eyes emoticon goes here. UD, pay no attention to this man. He's too busy globe trotting conquering chicks to pay attention to music. Unless of course it's got a hungarian folk melody to it.
                Last edited by MarkGrace; 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                  I've generally been disappointed by the Arctic Monkeys. They had a clever marketing campaign when they rolled out and a couple of catchy early hits but I find their sound samey and uninspired.

If so I'd say Franz Ferdinand is an indispensable player in the period.
                  Those are all new albums this year.

Comment

*rolls eyes emoticon goes here. UD, pay no attention to this man. He's too busy globe trotting conquering chicks to pay attention to music. Unless of course it's got a hungarian folk melody to it.
                    His heart is in the right place.

Comment

Okay, I'm ready to start listening to some new stuff. Here is my to do list so far:

Angles by The Strokes
                      Zonoscope by Cut Copy
                      The Valley by Eisley

Anyone listened to any of these and have a comment?
                      I'm off to a crappy start because I haven't had a computer in 2011 until last weekend. Now that I'm the owner of a new Mac Book Pro, I'll be back at it here soon. I have zero interest in Death Cab, The Strokes, I&W, PBJ and a few others, so I'm not going to be able to comment there.

I intend to listen to the new Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Arctic Monkeys, Cut Copy, and of course I'm stoked about the new Britney. I'll probably but that one this weekend. Been meaning to hear the new Mountain Goats and Toro y Moi as well.

I have the new Decemberists (on this cutting edge thing called a cd even) and like it. Super country and folky. The harmonies with Gillian Welch are great and the Peter Buck influence is definitely felt. I listened to a leak of the new Fleet Foxes, but the sound quality was kind of crappy -- I've heard all the songs they've released from it so far, though, and the thing is going to be fan-damn-tastic. Robin mentioned on the Radiohead board that they were trying to get a high quality leak out once the crappy one started circulating, but I have no idea what became of that.

Been listening to James Blake's self titled debut a lot lately (outside of the new Radiohead this is the record I've listened to the most) and it's pretty great. Also digging the new Burial album, the new record from Low, and I like Panda Bear's new one, too -- probably not as good as Person Pitch, but still satisfies that "What Would Brian Wilson Do in 2011" fix. Oh yeah, the new PJ Harvey is awesome, too.

Anything major I am overlooking (apart from Radiohead)? TIA.
                      This is all I got for you on this comment, buddy: :finger3:

Comment

Angles by The Strokes
                        Zonoscope by Cut Copy
                        The Valley by Eisley

I've listened to a lot of those, not all. Some good stuff. For other 2011 releases I'd highly recommend Passive Me, Aggressive You by The Naked and Famous. Out of New Zealand (where the album was released in 2010) with a little temper trap/mgmt/deathcab feel to them. I quite like it.

Also check out the Destroyer album and the PJ Harvey album as well. For a little variety you might also enjoy the new Black Joe Lewis album.

Comment

I'm off to a crappy start because I haven't had a computer in 2011 until last weekend. Now that I'm the owner of a new Mac Book Pro, I'll be back at it here soon. I have zero interest in Death Cab, The Strokes, I&W, PBJ and a few others, so I'm not going to be able to comment there.

I intend to listen to the new Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Arctic Monkeys, Cut Copy, and of course I'm stoked about the new Britney. I'll probably but that one this weekend. Been meaning to hear the new Mountain Goats and Toro y Moi as well.

I have the new Decemberists (on this cutting edge thing called a cd even) and like it. Super country and folky. The harmonies with Gillian Welch are great and the Peter Buck influence is definitely felt. I listened to a leak of the new Fleet Foxes, but the sound quality was kind of crappy -- I've heard all the songs they've released from it so far, though, and the thing is going to be fan-damn-tastic. Robin mentioned on the Radiohead board that they were trying to get a high quality leak out once the crappy one started circulating, but I have no idea what became of that.

Been listening to James Blake's self titled debut a lot lately (outside of the new Radiohead this is the record I've listened to the most) and it's pretty great. Also digging the new Burial album, the new record from Low, and I like Panda Bear's new one, too -- probably not as good as Person Pitch, but still satisfies that "What Would Brian Wilson Do in 2011" fix. Oh yeah, the new PJ Harvey is awesome, too.

This is all I got for you on this comment, buddy: :finger3:
                          Hey! That was me recognizing that it was something major I had left out. Just not something I am interested in.

I had not heard that Gillian Welch was on the Decemberists album. I love her and that will now probably be the first thing I go listen to. By the way, there is a great live version of her singing Black Star.

Comment

Hey! That was me recognizing that it was something major I had left out. Just not something I am interested in.
                            I just mentioned it in the Radiohead thread, but I'm listening to TKOL for the 100th time right now.

I had not heard that Gillian Welch was on the Decemberists album. I love her and that will now probably be the first thing I go listen to. By the way, there is a great live version of her singing Black Star.
                            Really? I'll have to check that out. She's pretty rad.

Comment

I just mentioned it in the Radiohead thread, but I'm listening to TKOL for the 100th time right now.

Really? I'll have to check that out. She's pretty rad.
                              [YOUTUBE]c0xDNtqNcAc[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

[YOUTUBE]c0xDNtqNcAc[/YOUTUBE]
                                That's was awesome.

Here's Gillian with the Decemberists: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpnAb2KJ8n0"]YouTube - The Decemberists feat. Gillian Welch - Down By The Water (Live on Conan)[/nomedia]

You feel the Peter Buck/REM in a major way on that one. There's a moment there after the chorus where I always feel like the song is going to bust into The One I Love and I hear Stipe singing "fiiiiiire" in my head.

Comment

Working...
                                X