WTF? A remake of The Warriors?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #1

    WTF? A remake of The Warriors?

    Does anyone else know about this atrocity to be?

    This is morally wrong

    All due respect to DDD and his (correct and just) comments about that horrendous Parent Trap remake, but I'd rather watch Lindsey Lohan as conniving twins than a remake of a masterpiece.

    This should change the minds of those who oppose capital punishment.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    Mods, please delete this thread asap.

    A remake of The Warriors would fail on so many levels that it is impossible to conceive a green light for this project.

    Lynne Thigpen is rolling over in her grave.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • il Padrino Ute
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 19161

      #3
      I actually do feel bad about posting this. I will claim temporary insanity as I obviously had no idea what I was doing after hearing the shocking news of a remake.

      And you are correct - it would fail on so many levels, particularly with a character similar to Ajax. THERE IS ONLY ONE AJAX, DAMMIT!

      The worst rumor of this nightmare? No Baseball Furies!

      I won't be able to sleep tonight. It's time to write MTV productions to complain and more importantly, it is imperative that we all write our Congressional representatives and Senators.
      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

      Comment

      • Solon
        Lost in the flood
        • Nov 2008
        • 5747

        #4
        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
        I actually do feel bad about posting this. I will claim temporary insanity as I obviously had no idea what I was doing after hearing the shocking news of a remake.

        And you are correct - it would fail on so many levels, particularly with a character similar to Ajax. THERE IS ONLY ONE AJAX, DAMMIT!

        The worst rumor of this nightmare? No Baseball Furies!

        I won't be able to sleep tonight. It's time to write MTV productions to complain and more importantly, it is imperative that we all write our Congressional representatives and Senators.
        I'll wait to see it before I condemn it, but I love the original movie.

        FTR, it's based on an ancient (true) story of Xenophon leading 10,000 Greek mercenaries out of Persia in 401-400 BC.
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

        Comment

        • Green Lantern
          Has overcome great fear
          • Aug 2009
          • 2289

          #5
          Eh, I'm not too worried. These remakes of stone-cold cult classics rarely sully the reputations of the originals. They come out, flop and are forgotten. I mean, is anyone still worried that people will forget about DEATH RACE 2000 because of the Jason Statham remake from last year?

          However, if the question "CAN YOU DIG IT!?" were raised in regards to this remake, the answer is no, no I cannot.
          Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

          None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

          I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

          --Portland Ute

          Comment

          • dabrockster
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 10951

            #6
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            I actually do feel bad about posting this. I will claim temporary insanity as I obviously had no idea what I was doing after hearing the shocking news of a remake.

            And you are correct - it would fail on so many levels, particularly with a character similar to Ajax. THERE IS ONLY ONE AJAX, DAMMIT!

            The worst rumor of this nightmare? No Baseball Furies!

            I won't be able to sleep tonight. It's time to write MTV productions to complain and more importantly, it is imperative that we all write our Congressional representatives and Senators.
            James Remar, I enjoy his character in Dexter... I used to watch this movie on Saturday Matinee's back in the day... Good movie..

            Comment

            • Green Lantern
              Has overcome great fear
              • Aug 2009
              • 2289

              #7
              Originally posted by Solon View Post
              I'll wait to see it before I condemn it, but I love the original movie.

              FTR, it's based on an ancient (true) story of Xenophon leading 10,000 Greek mercenaries out of Persia in 401-400 BC.
              Kind of off-topic, but regarding your apparent love for modern iterations of ancient history/myth, have you ever seen Eric Shanower's comic book series AGE OF BRONZE? He's attempting to tell the entire story of the Trojan War via graphic novel. It's incredibly well-researched (which is probably why it's taking him several months between issues.)
              Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

              None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

              I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

              --Portland Ute

              Comment

              • creekster
                It is NOT a monkey!
                • Nov 2008
                • 22661

                #8
                Originally posted by Solon View Post

                FTR, it's based on an ancient (true) story of Xenophon leading 10,000 Greek mercenaries out of Persia in 401-400 BC.
                I can see a bunch of these classics guys on a bulletin board somewhere arguing about how their expertise is relevant to today's world. "Yea, and did you see the plot on gle last night? TOTALLY ripped off Xerxes' paean to Theseus' beheading of the minotaur! I cant believe how people never see this stuff! It has all been done before, I tell you!""
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                Comment

                • Solon
                  Lost in the flood
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5747

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                  Kind of off-topic, but regarding your apparent love for modern iterations of ancient history/myth, have you ever seen Eric Shanower's comic book series AGE OF BRONZE? He's attempting to tell the entire story of the Trojan War via graphic novel. It's incredibly well-researched (which is probably why it's taking him several months between issues.)
                  No, I haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out sometime. I don't mind modern versions of myth because every myth-teller has the right to make the myth his/her own. Some versions are more compelling than others, sure, but there's no such thing as a "true" myth. (Seriously, I get paid to think about this crap.) I like it, though, when modern versions pay homage to the ancient classics, like Brad Pitt using lines straight from the Iliad when he tells Eric Bana: "There are no pacts between men and lions." But what's really cool is when a mythic theme is re-set into modern world (and this goes for historical episodes too, like "The Warriors"). My favorite example is "Stranger Than Fiction", which is very much in line with mythic questions of fate, duty, and compulsion.

                  Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I can see a bunch of these classics guys on a bulletin board somewhere arguing about how their expertise is relevant to today's world. "Yea, and did you see the plot on gle last night? TOTALLY ripped off Xerxes' paean to Theseus' beheading of the minotaur! I cant believe how people never see this stuff! It has all been done before, I tell you!""
                  You give the classics geeks too much credit, creekster. Most of us can't even work a computer, let alone run a message board. Usually, we just meet in the library room with the most mahogany and compare pipes and tweed jackets while arguing about the nuances of the aorist infinitive.

                  But speaking of minotaurs, I give you:

                  "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                  -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                  Comment

                  • Green Lantern
                    Has overcome great fear
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2289

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Solon View Post
                    I like it, though, when modern versions pay homage to the ancient classics, like Brad Pitt using lines straight from the Iliad when he tells Eric Bana: "There are no pacts between men and lions." But what's really cool is when a mythic theme is re-set into modern world (and this goes for historical episodes too, like "The Warriors"). My favorite example is "Stranger Than Fiction", which is very much in line with mythic questions of fate, duty, and compulsion. [/url]
                    That could actually be a pretty good thread in and of itself. There was a failed TV show from last year that set the Greek Gods in a modern setting. And there was a comic book series from a couple years back called TESTAMENT that postulated that the themes and narratives of the Bible are constantly being re-enacted, so it had a dual narrative that paired a modern story with event from the Bible. It was pretty interesting. The author was Douglas Rushkoff.
                    Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                    None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                    I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                    --Portland Ute

                    Comment

                    Working...