Bladerunner

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #1

    Bladerunner

    Bladerunner is one of those rare films not really much admired when released but that now has been admitted to the pantheon of greatest films. Its growing popularity fueled Philp K. Dick's now cult status. I think the film's cult status is deserved. The Sean Young character elicits much pathos; she is an allegory for awakening to the fact you've been born with the gay or the apostate gene, or physiologically blocked from access to a "witness" to the Book of Mormon's veracity. Science fiction is an excellent vehicle for allegory.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #2
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Science fiction is an excellent vehicle for allegory.
    I think this guy agrees with you.

    Comment

    • Green Lantern
      Has overcome great fear
      • Aug 2009
      • 2289

      #3
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Bladerunner is one of those rare films not really much admired when released but that now has been admitted to the pantheon of greatest films. Its growing popularity fueled Philp K. Dick's now cult status. I think the film's cult status is deserved. The Sean Young character elicits much pathos; she is an allegory for awakening to the fact you've been born with the gay or the apostate gene, or physiologically blocked from access to a "witness" to the Book of Mormon's veracity. Science fiction is an excellent vehicle for allegory.
      That's an interesting reading. The Rachael character's journey of self-discovery in the movie forms an interesting counterpoint to Mormon theology. While the LDS church teaches that an individual is much more than he/she may originally comprehend, a potentially godlike being in fact, it could be said that Rachael's realization is that she is actually far less than she originally envisioned. Quite the tragedy. Although the film still grasps to the small hope that Deckard has at least learned that every moment of life is so precious that even the shortest span of happiness is worth holding on to.
      Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

      None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

      I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

      --Portland Ute

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #4
        I will have to watch it. This has always been one of those movies that I want to watch, but never have.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • Green Lantern
          Has overcome great fear
          • Aug 2009
          • 2289

          #5
          Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          I will have to watch it. This has always been one of those movies that I want to watch, but never have.
          Be aware that there are like 5 different versions!
          Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

          None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

          I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

          --Portland Ute

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #6
            Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
            Be aware that there are like 5 different versions!
            I assumed SU was speaking about Harrison Ford, Ridley Scott version.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • Green Lantern
              Has overcome great fear
              • Aug 2009
              • 2289

              #7
              Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              I assumed SU was speaking about Harrison Ford, Ridley Scott version.
              No, that's what I mean. There are like 5 different versions of that movie! The most recent DVD release has attempted to clean up this issue by including what it claims is the definitive version. But there is also the "theatrical version" (that nobody really likes,) the "director's cut" (which the director didn't really have any involvement with,) and a few others.
              Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

              None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

              I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

              --Portland Ute

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #8
                Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                No, that's what I mean. There are like 5 different versions of that movie! The most recent DVD release has attempted to clean up this issue by including what it claims is the definitive version. But there is also the "theatrical version" (that nobody really likes,) the "director's cut" (which the director didn't really have any involvement with,) and a few others.
                So what version should I try to watch?
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37988

                  #9
                  Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  So what version should I try to watch?
                  I watched the director's cut when I was in high school. I did not care for it. But I was in high school. I'll have to watch it again.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Color Me Badd Fan
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12519

                    #10
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I watched the director's cut when I was in high school. I did not care for it. But I was in high school. I'll have to watch it again.
                    Bladerunner, in whatever cut of the film, is first and foremost a visually stunning film. The fact the movie was made in 1982 boggles my mind. I think the growing stature of the movie for other reasons is a bit overblown.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      Bladerunner is one of those rare films not really much admired when released but that now has been admitted to the pantheon of greatest films. Its growing popularity fueled Philp K. Dick's now cult status. I think the film's cult status is deserved. The Sean Young character elicits much pathos; she is an allegory for awakening to the fact you've been born with the gay or the apostate gene, or physiologically blocked from access to a "witness" to the Book of Mormon's veracity. Science fiction is an excellent vehicle for allegory.
                      That's an interesting reading. The Rachael character's journey of self-discovery in the movie forms an interesting counterpoint to Mormon theology. While the LDS church teaches that an individual is much more than he/she may originally comprehend, a potentially godlike being in fact, it could be said that Rachael's realization is that she is actually far less than she originally envisioned. Quite the tragedy. Although the film still grasps to the small hope that Deckard has at least learned that every moment of life is so precious that even the shortest span of happiness is worth holding on to.
                      How do you guys watch movies to come to these conclusions? I watch a movie and think "I liked that" or "I didn't like that".

                      I liked Bladerunner.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • Green Lantern
                        Has overcome great fear
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 2289

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        Bladerunner, in whatever cut of the film, is first and foremost a visually stunning film. The fact the movie was made in 1982 boggles my mind. I think the growing stature of the movie for other reasons is a bit overblown.
                        Can you explain?
                        Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                        None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                        I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                        --Portland Ute

                        Comment

                        • Green Lantern
                          Has overcome great fear
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 2289

                          #13
                          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                          How do you guys watch movies to come to these conclusions? I watch a movie and think "I liked that" or "I didn't like that".

                          I liked Bladerunner.
                          Hey, the most fun part of film (or any) criticism is, after deciding whether you liked or disliked something, figuring out how to explain why.
                          Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                          None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                          I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                          --Portland Ute

                          Comment

                          • il Padrino Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19161

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                            Hey, the most fun part of film (or any) criticism is, after deciding whether you liked or disliked something, figuring out how to explain why.
                            Why did I like Bladerunner? Because it was entertaining. Why was it entertaining? Because it didn't bore me.

                            I don't see any allegories when I watch a movie. Nor do I see any kind of profound message in it as you pointed out when you posted "...the film still grasps to the small hope that Deckard has at least learned that every moment of life is so precious that even the shortest span of happiness is worth holding on to."

                            Perhaps I just don't like to think when I watch a movie.
                            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                            Comment

                            • Katy Lied
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 9435

                              #15
                              Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                              I think this guy agrees with you.
                              Brilliantly restrained comment. It was the first thing I thought of too, The Ships of Earth Series.

                              Comment

                              Working...