The End of Michael Moore

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Colly Wolly
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 1824

    #31
    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    How much real liberty does a poor, uneducated man or woman with dependent children really have in America?
    A lot.

    Comment

    • RobinFinderson
      Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 10548

      #32
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Robin, let me remind you that the acronyms Nazi and USSR both have "socialism" in them.

      How ironic that I'm saying there's no such thing as socialism any longer (becuase it's failed spectacularly worldwide) and you are saying there's no such thing as capitalism. I wonder if citizens of Western European countries and the US and Japan and even China agree with you.
      What it really comes down to is this... the film, which is titled "Capitalism, a love story," is no more about capitalism than it is about love. Moore's beef is with corporations, and what happens when corporations get too big and exercise too much influence over government. There are many variations of 'capitalism' with which Moore would have no problem.

      Of course this means that to make a smart critique of Moore's actual arguments would require one to know what those argument are. You have no clue here, SU. But you should watch the film. I bet you would find it entertaining, and as a bonus, you might actually be able to offer a real critique of Moore's arguments.
      Last edited by RobinFinderson; 09-25-2009, 05:02 PM.

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #33
        Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
        A lot.
        The day you demonstrate that you have exercised a modicum of critical thought about what 'liberty' means, I might care about your opinion.

        Comment

        • Colly Wolly
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 1824

          #34
          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
          The day you demonstrate that you have exercised a modicum of critical thought about what 'liberty' means, I might care about your opinion.
          How may I so demonstrate?

          Comment

          • RobinFinderson
            Banned
            • Nov 2008
            • 10548

            #35
            Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
            How may I so demonstrate?
            Start by explaining what 'liberty' means. Exlain how you came to an understanding of that conception of liberty. Who are the thinkers whose ideas have shaped your thinking? Why do you believe your particular conception of liberty in light of arguments for other models (i.e. demonstrate that you have considered the other models and found them wanting)?

            Comment

            • Colly Wolly
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 1824

              #36
              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
              Start by explaining what 'liberty' means. Exlain how you came to an understanding of that conception of liberty. Who are the thinkers whose ideas have shaped your thinking? Why do you believe your particular conception of liberty in light of arguments for other models (i.e. demonstrate that you have considered the other models and found them wanting)?
              Meh. Screw that.

              Comment

              • RobinFinderson
                Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 10548

                #37
                Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
                Meh. Screw that.
                Don't worry Colly Wolly. I'm sure you have thought about something deeply enough to have an opinion that matters.

                Comment

                • Colly Wolly
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 1824

                  #38
                  Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                  Don't worry Colly Wolly. I'm sure you have thought about something deeply enough to have an opinion that matters.
                  I don't know dude. All the time you seem to have spent formulating your own opinions hasn't helped you get a single clue. Seems like a gargantuan waste of time. I guess some people either get it, or they don't.

                  Comment

                  • RobinFinderson
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10548

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
                    I don't know dude. All the time you seem to have spent formulating your own opinions hasn't helped you get a single clue. Seems like a gargantuan waste of time. I guess some people either get it, or they don't.
                    Some times you have to go down a path far enough to see why it matters.

                    Comment

                    • Colly Wolly
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 1824

                      #40
                      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      Some times you have to go down a path far enough to see why it matters.
                      Very true. And other times a simple history lesson or a rational judgement at face value is all you need.

                      Comment

                      • SeattleUte
                        Faith crisis consultant
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 20837

                        #41
                        I am often ashamed of the callousness and lack of empathy evinced by enoomic libertarians in their sayings.

                        That being said, I will say that the reason capitalism is scary is it exacts person accountability. In this it is ruthless. We got a lesson in this a year ago. The banks thought they could fool the markets. But their irresponsible loans were like shit hid under a snowbank.

                        Whatever other evil might be put at capitalism's feet--polution, deforestation, whatever--are ampliphied in a socialist system. Corporations have defeated polio, elimated hunger in whole countries, endowed universities. They are also ultimately subserviat to public opinion. They are democracies themselves, serving two sets of demanding, free constituents, shareholders and consumers.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                        --Jonathan Swift

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #42
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          Whatever other evil might be put at capitalism's feet--polution, deforestation, whatever--are ampliphied in a socialist system. Corporations have defeated polio, elimated hunger in whole countries, endowed universities. They are also ultimately subserviat to public opinion. They are democracies themselves, serving two sets of demanding, free constituents, shareholders and consumers.
                          Bravo! Well said.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • SeattleUte
                            Faith crisis consultant
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 20837

                            #43
                            Robin, certainly a Nietsche scholar such as yourself is aware that Nietzche called capitalism the apotheosis of Christianity, the destination of its historical progression. I can get the exact quote when I get a chance. Nietzche, of course, intended this as a condemnation of Christianity, but he may have paid it its greatest compliment ever.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                            --Jonathan Swift

                            Comment

                            • RobinFinderson
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10548

                              #44
                              The development of the polio vaccine and the green revolution are the result of corporations seeking a profit?? Really?? Enlighten us.

                              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              I am often ashamed of the callousness and lack of empathy evinced by enoomic libertarians in their sayings.

                              That being said, I will say that the reason capitalism is scary is it exacts person accountability. In this it is ruthless. We got a lesson in this a year ago. The banks thought they could fool the markets. But their irresponsible loans were like shit hid under a snowbank.

                              Whatever other evil might be put at capitalism's feet--polution, deforestation, whatever--are ampliphied in a socialist system. Corporations have defeated polio, elimated hunger in whole countries, endowed universities. They are also ultimately subserviat to public opinion. They are democracies themselves, serving two sets of demanding, free constituents, shareholders and consumers.

                              Comment

                              • Jarid in Cedar
                                CS Institutional Memory
                                • Jun 2009
                                • 13234

                                #45
                                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                                The development of the polio vaccine and the green revolution are the result of corporations seeking a profit?? Really?? Enlighten us.
                                As with many medical advances, they would not happen if they were not profitable
                                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                                "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                                "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                                -Rick Majerus

                                Comment

                                Working...