No announcement yet.

Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katy you have such a gift for taking great photos, I'm quite envious. I'm curious if you frequent any websites to improve your skills and technique? SpaceGhost I know you told me a couple of places you visit, but if I can't even remember what kind of pizza I ate what are the chances I'm going to remember them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      I dont get it. There is no 1-space ship.
      There are these days. When I was a kid, there was no ship that was one-and-done, either, but I know that the xbox live version has a 1-shot sub and some ships can fire off two "shots" or guesses at once. I think newer releases of the actual board game now have added the single-shot ship, as well.

Truthfully, it is a wise idea because it makes the game last much longer. It is really hard to find that one square on the grid.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• This photo (I think) is from the Polish photographer SG referenced above. I think its pretty awesome.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          This photo (I think) is from the Polish photographer SG referenced above. I think its pretty awesome.

I knew he wore eyeliner but since when did Keith Richard start wearign pink lipstick?
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I knew he wore eyeliner but since when did Keith Richard start wearign pink lipstick?
            Oh man, that was good.

Great pics, everyone.

Comment

• My wife is interested in getting started with photography. How did some of the resident photographers get their start? She has looked into some online classes. Some are free, some cost a little coin but not that bad, and others want $1,000 Any suggestions on some good courses and/or forums that you guys frequent? She has a Sony camera that came out in 2004 that she got from her dad as a gift a year and a half ago. She is as green as green can be when it comes to photography.
              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                My wife is interested in getting started with photography. How did some of the resident photographers get their start? She has looked into some online classes. Some are free, some cost a little coin but not that bad, and others want $1,000 Any suggestions on some good courses and/or forums that you guys frequent? She has a Sony camera that came out in 2004 that she got from her dad as a gift a year and a half ago. She is as green as green can be when it comes to photography.
                Have her start with tasteful nudes.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  In my experience, you have to start with the nudes that are many rungs below tasteful. Tasteful nudes are the reward for years of hard work.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                      My wife is interested in getting started with photography. How did some of the resident photographers get their start? She has looked into some online classes. Some are free, some cost a little coin but not that bad, and others want $1,000 Any suggestions on some good courses and/or forums that you guys frequent? She has a Sony camera that came out in 2004 that she got from her dad as a gift a year and a half ago. She is as green as green can be when it comes to photography.
                      She should go out and take at least 50 photos a day for 10 days straight, just to see if its something she would like to do. All kinds of pictures--kids, landscapes, body parts (not that, sickos) photos of the house, close ups of flowers. See if she enjoys taking pictures. I wouldnt spend any money on anything. Just take the photos and download and review them to see if she has a knack for finding new and unusual ways to take pictures of everyday items. If after 10 days she still wants to take photos, then she should borrow some books, (or read online) about how to take artistic photos. After that, technical aspecs. The only book I recommend she buy (after about 6 months, is Understanding Exposure).

Here's a photo of body parts. My sis and BIL.

Here are some everyday objects. They're decorative bottle stoppers that I got in Santa Barbara.

Comment

• This tilt shift picture is rad:

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• Here are a few pictures I took while hiking. The first one was on a 5 mile hike with the 11-12 YO Scouts last Saturday. the 2nd picture was take on a 2 day 22 mile hike I took last June with the priests, that is the back of my then YM president (now my 2nd counselor) early in the morning. The last picture is on a 50 mile hike last summer of my 1st assistant in the Priest's Quorum, we had just summitted one of our harder climbs (that is snow below him during the last week of July!). We did a very aggressive 50 miler climbing and descending almost 11,000 feet. I was shocked how exhausting it was...all the priests all said it was the hardest thing they have ever done.

Comment

She should go out and take at least 50 photos a day for 10 days straight, just to see if its something she would like to do. All kinds of pictures--kids, landscapes, body parts (not that, sickos) photos of the house, close ups of flowers. See if she enjoys taking pictures. I wouldnt spend any money on anything. Just take the photos and download and review them to see if she has a knack for finding new and unusual ways to take pictures of everyday items. If after 10 days she still wants to take photos, then she should borrow some books, (or read online) about how to take artistic photos. After that, technical aspecs. The only book I recommend she buy (after about 6 months, is Understanding Exposure).

Here's a photo of body parts. My sis and BIL.

Here are some everyday objects. They're decorative bottle stoppers that I got in Santa Barbara.
                            Thank you. That is great advice.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Ghost
                              Got a new toy today. The justification used was to adequately preserve an impending trip overseas in picture... or that's what I told myself anyway. The thing is a beast and has some serious heft; it is much bigger (and heavier) than I thought it would be.

Took a couple of sample images in the backyard (attached).

cheers.
                              You will LOVE IT. At least I do with my Nikon 2.8. There are a couple drawbacks, the heft being one and the focal distance at 70mm is often just a little far for anything indoors. It is awesome for action shots. Try it out the next time you go to the driving range or out with your brother. It will literally stop frame a golf ball on impact.

I have been meaning to ask you, Katy, or the other photogs on here, what is a good lens for landscape and outdoor photography. Because of the weight I don't like carrying around my 70-200mm when hike or tool around town. Currently I'm using my [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZMCILW/ref=ox_ya_oh_product"]Amazon.com: Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JYeWAQW%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@41JYeWAQW%2BL[/ame]. I would like to improve the quality of my glass with the false hope it will somehow improve the quality of my pictures.

Comment

The exact process as those two-tone PAAS ones. In between the dye colors, you cover the areas where you want to keep the color with beeswax. It's not very complex--just tedious.

Misty Bridge to Magna
                                Wow. Just wow. With your patience, do you rent out to raising kids?

Comment

Working...
                                X