What are some suggestions any of you have for providing support and morale boosts when you have a friend or family member in the hospital? I thought about taking food to leave in the refrigerator and cash for the cafeteria. Not having a spouse, though, I'm soliciting suggestions where I can stay out of the way but make their life easier.
Support Suggestions
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
just ask. A lot of times there's little errands they need run, or they forgot something from the apartment, or whatever. Ask if there's anything you can do to save time or make things easier for the patient or their family.Originally posted by beelzebabette View PostWhat are some suggestions any of you have for providing support and morale boosts when you have a friend or family member in the hospital? I thought about taking food to leave in the refrigerator and cash for the cafeteria. Not having a spouse, though, I'm soliciting suggestions where I can stay out of the way but make their life easier.
-
And, if they're fiercely independent (possibly to a fault)? I don't want to get in the way so it may be best I do nothing, but I'd like ideas that would allow one to be a little more proactive.Originally posted by Babs View Postjust ask. A lot of times there's little errands they need run, or they forgot something from the apartment, or whatever. Ask if there's anything you can do to save time or make things easier for the patient or their family.
One I remember from a friend in the past was a simple car wash. She gushed about the fact someone thought of that for at least a week.
Comment
-
Take some DVD/CDs she likes. All the hospitals in my area have DVD players attached to the TVs. I also like to bring a roll of Lifesavers.Originally posted by beelzebabette View PostWhat are some suggestions any of you have for providing support and morale boosts when you have a friend or family member in the hospital? I thought about taking food to leave in the refrigerator and cash for the cafeteria. Not having a spouse, though, I'm soliciting suggestions where I can stay out of the way but make their life easier.
Comment
-
Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostI also like to bring a roll of Lifesavers.
Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
You're probably too young to know, but in the early 70s, there were various tv commercials for Lifesavers that showed kids that had some sort of accident and got hurt. The catch phrase was - "Have a Lifesaver. It will make you feel better."Originally posted by falafel View Post
I couldn't find any of them on youtube so I can't share that part of my childhood with you."Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
Comment
-
You old guys and your stories are great. Hopefully all your childhood memories will be on the YouTube someday for you to enjoy.Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View PostYou're probably too young to know, but in the early 70s, there were various tv commercials for Lifesavers that showed kids that had some sort of accident and got hurt. The catch phrase was - "Have a Lifesaver. It will make you feel better."
I couldn't find any of them on youtube so I can't share that part of my childhood with you."In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
"And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
"Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute
Comment
-
Since my first attempt netted me nothing, how about a followup question? As their child is expected to be in the hospital for a couple of weeks, what meals have you appreciated having on hand to be reheated?
Comment
-
It really depends on their and their family's likes and dislikes. We've always appricated soups or stews.Originally posted by beelzebabette View PostSince my first attempt netted me nothing, how about a followup question? As their child is expected to be in the hospital for a couple of weeks, what meals have you appreciated having on hand to be reheated?
I may be small, but I'm slow.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."
Comment
-
I sure hope so. I was disappointed that I couldn't even find a clip of the Happy Days episode that ended with the Lifesavers moment.Originally posted by DU Ute View PostYou old guys and your stories are great. Hopefully all your childhood memories will be on the YouTube someday for you to enjoy."Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
Comment
-
Precooked casseroles are a big hit. Chicken, rice, broccoli, Cream of mushroom/chicken soup. Easy to make easy to reheat.Originally posted by beelzebabette View PostSince my first attempt netted me nothing, how about a followup question? As their child is expected to be in the hospital for a couple of weeks, what meals have you appreciated having on hand to be reheated?"The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
We had one in the hospital for a week with a major asthema attack. She was about 3 at the time. It was not fun!! I would agree that if their are siblings offer to take care of them for a few hours.Originally posted by The_Tick View PostBBB,
Are there any other siblings? That would probably be the biggest type of help if there are.
How bad off is the kid?
I don't even want to imagine weeks in the hospital with a kid.
I may be small, but I'm slow.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."
Comment
Comment