Pick Clark Addison's New Car

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Clark Addison
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10312

    #1

    Pick Clark Addison's New Car

    I have a son who recently turned 16, and is going to get his driver's license next week. Unless I want to wake up at 5:00 every morning to take him to seminary this year, we need a new car. We may get an older car for him, but right now I am leaning toward passing down my current car to him, and getting a new one for myself. I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry with close to 100K miles on it.

    As is obvious from what I currently drive, I am not much of a car guy. I don't need anything fancy. I like cars to be reliable and I don't like to spend a whole lot of money. On the other hand, I do like driving around in something comfortable and nice. My best guess on the price I am looking for is in the 20K to 30K range. Could go a little above that, but I'd prefer not to. I could also go lower than 20K.

    I welcome your suggestions.
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #2
    Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I have a son who recently turned 16, and is going to get his driver's license next week. Unless I want to wake up at 5:00 every morning to take him to seminary this year, we need a new car. We may get an older car for him, but right now I am leaning toward passing down my current car to him, and getting a new one for myself. I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry with close to 100K miles on it.

    As is obvious from what I currently drive, I am not much of a car guy. I don't need anything fancy. I like cars to be reliable and I don't like to spend a whole lot of money. On the other hand, I do like driving around in something comfortable and nice. My best guess on the price I am looking for is in the 20K to 30K range. Could go a little above that, but I'd prefer not to. I could also go lower than 20K.

    I welcome your suggestions.
    you drive foreign or domestic? What class are you looking at? Little cars, bigger cars, small SUV?

    Comment

    • Clark Addison
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10312

      #3
      Originally posted by Babs View Post
      you drive foreign or domestic? What class are you looking at? Little cars, bigger cars, small SUV?
      I have bought nothing but Japanese cars in my life, but I am open to breaking that habit if I have good reason to. Looking at sedans, probably mid-sized.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37988

        #4
        Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
        I have bought nothing but Japanese cars in my life, but I am open to breaking that habit if I have good reason to. Looking at sedans, probably mid-sized.
        Do you want brand new or would you take a lightly used..., uh, used car.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Soccermom
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 4063

          #5
          Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          I have a son who recently turned 16, and is going to get his driver's license next week. Unless I want to wake up at 5:00 every morning to take him to seminary this year, we need a new car. We may get an older car for him, but right now I am leaning toward passing down my current car to him, and getting a new one for myself. I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry with close to 100K miles on it.

          As is obvious from what I currently drive, I am not much of a car guy. I don't need anything fancy. I like cars to be reliable and I don't like to spend a whole lot of money. On the other hand, I do like driving around in something comfortable and nice. My best guess on the price I am looking for is in the 20K to 30K range. Could go a little above that, but I'd prefer not to. I could also go lower than 20K.

          I welcome your suggestions.
          Aristides and I are like you. . we like reliable cars that are not too pricey. Aristides used to drive a Nissan Maxima. He loved that car. He totaled it a year ago and since he had a long commute at the time, went with a smaller, fuel efficient car and bought a new Honda Civic. It is a tiny car, but he loved it for commuting. Depending on what happens with the job situation, he may at some point wish he had gone with a midsized sedan. But Aristides Jr. will be 16 in 6 years. .. .at which point Dad's 2008 Honda Civic will be a great first time driver car

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #6
            Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
            I have bought nothing but Japanese cars in my life, but I am open to breaking that habit if I have good reason to. Looking at sedans, probably mid-sized.
            I can't believe I am going to say this, but....the new Ford Taurus is really nice. That said, you can't go wrong with another Camry. Pretty much everything in that same class is nice and you couldn't go wrong, Maxima, Accord, Mazda6....
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • FN Phat
              I ♥ gateway sex
              • Feb 2009
              • 8691

              #7
              2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

              I'm your huckleberry.


              "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37988

                #8
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                I can't believe I am going to say this, but....the new Ford Taurus is really nice. That said, you can't go wrong with another Camry. Pretty much everything in that same class is nice and you couldn't go wrong, Maxima, Accord, Mazda6....
                They brought back the SHO!
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  Maximas....those things are impossible to destroy. they last forever.

                  Civics, Accords, maximas....great quality for the value.

                  i actually like volkswagens as well. they seem to blow those out every labor day, so there is usually a good deal to be had on a jetta or passat.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Clark Addison
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10312

                    #10
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Do you want brand new or would you take a lightly used..., uh, used car.
                    I would be open to a slightly used car, but I tend to hate spending the time necessary to find one.

                    Comment

                    • FN Phat
                      I ♥ gateway sex
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 8691

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      I can't believe I am going to say this, but....the new Ford Taurus is really nice. That said, you can't go wrong with another Camry. Pretty much everything in that same class is nice and you couldn't go wrong, Maxima, Accord, Mazda6....
                      Agreed

                      I'm your huckleberry.


                      "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                      Comment

                      • beelzebabette
                        Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 2907

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        I can't believe I am going to say this, but....the new Ford Taurus is really nice. That said, you can't go wrong with another Camry. Pretty much everything in that same class is nice and you couldn't go wrong, Maxima, Accord, Mazda6....
                        I was going to suggest the Altima or TSX, but I worried I'd be suggesting a chick car.

                        Comment

                        • Donuthole
                          Official Outgayer
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 25268

                          #13
                          I think the new Malibu is the best looking sedan on the road. You can get one pretty well-equipped for about 22k, and fully-loaded for about 25k. Even the most basic model is pretty nice, and runs about 20k. You could probably pick up a new 08 for a steal of a deal.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                          Comment

                          • Color Me Badd Fan
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12519

                            #14
                            If you want to spend a little extra money, I'd suggest looking at the new Nissan Maxima. That's a nice looking car and that V6 they put in it blows out the comparable Honda and Toyota V6s.

                            Otherwise, test drive the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. I've bought two Hondas over the past three years and I test drove the comparable Toyotas, and the Hondas were significantly better in terms of steering, breaking, interior materials and layout. Toyotas will give you a quieter ride and sometimes give you more power, but not much else. I also prefered the Honda designs over the comparable Toyota designs. I think the current Accord looks nicer than the current Camry, but the current Camry isn't bad.

                            BTW, at least at my local dealerships, the inventory of Toyota Camrys and Corollas were cleaned out due to CARS. Honda not so much. You might be able to get a better deal on a Honda.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37988

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              If you want to spend a little extra money, I'd suggest looking at the new Nissan Maxima. That's a nice looking car and that V6 they put in it blows out the comparable Honda and Toyota V6s.

                              Otherwise, test drive the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. I've bought two Hondas over the past three years and I test drove the comparable Toyotas, and the Hondas were significantly better in terms of steering, breaking, interior materials and layout. Toyotas will give you a quieter ride and sometimes give you more power, but not much else. I also prefered the Honda designs over the comparable Toyota designs. I think the current Accord looks nicer than the current Camry, but the current Camry isn't bad.

                              BTW, at least at my local dealerships, the inventory of Toyota Camrys and Corollas were cleaned out due to CARS. Honda not so much. You might be able to get a better deal on a Honda.
                              I'm bummed by the styling of the new maxima. I liked the old ones. They got close with this one, but they missed on the headlights and taillights.

                              That being said, none of the mid-sized Japanese sedans are very intriguing to me right now. The camry's tail lights look like thos bubble/foam stickers that were so popular in the 80s.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              Working...