Best Orlando theme park?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16936

    #1

    Best Orlando theme park?

    Yes, I know we're insane, but we've been spending time with the kids and grandkids in Orlando this week. The reunion will reach its climax with lunch in Cinderella's castle tomorrow. Meanwhile, Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, Medieval Times, and 95 degree temperatures with 99.9% humidity have taken their toll.

    Yesterday afternoon, during a break in the action, and obviously delirious from the sweltering heat, I actually said these words, "Sure, I'd be happy to go with you and the girls to the Premium Outlet Mall." My wife had always spoken of such things, which until now I had avoided like the plague.

    Imagine, then, my surprise when I stepped into MetrosexualLand, and beheld an array of clothing and accessories offerings that would have turned even DDD's and LAUte's heads. We only had one hour with which to work, but I managed to visit outlet stores for Brooks Brothers, Hugo Boss, Barney's of New York, Lacoste and Banana Republic. I walked out with a very nice suit from Brooks Brothers that had been marked down to $240, but which I was informed had been further reduced to $139. I picked up a very nice woven silk tie from Barney's that was originally $125 for $29.

    I didn't have time to visit a host of other stores, including Burberry and pretty much every other retailer I like but typically shy away from.

    Why was I never informed of such things? Probably because I dislike shopping and am content with my daily uniform of khaki slacks and oxford cloth button-down dress shirt which I adopted in the '80s and remain convinced will never go out of style.

    But after yesterday's transcendent experience I'm thinking of blowing off Cinderella, the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. Submit your wish lists and I shall be happy to act as CUF shopbot.
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #2
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Imagine, then, my surprise when I stepped into MetrosexualLand, and beheld an array of clothing and accessories offerings that would have turned even DDD's and LAUte's heads.
    Out of everyone here, you picked those two. lol!

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12365

      #3
      Islands of Adventure was awesome in terms of rides.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #4
        Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Out of everyone here, you picked those two. lol!
        PAC has clearly chosen his successor. Your continued pouting is embarrassing.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #5
          We were there just over a year ago, I was very disappointed in how run down Epcot seemed. My kids (5 and 3 at the time) loved the Animal Kingdom, there is a fun water ride where everyone gets wet, a 3D movie about bugs, a dinosaur ride that is pretty good and a bigger roller coaster for the older ones.

          We didn't leave the Disney compound, so I can't comment on the other places.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • RC Vikings
            Known Heterosexual
            • Nov 2008
            • 8789

            #6
            Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            Islands of Adventure was awesome in terms of rides.
            Universal >>>>> Disneyland

            Comment

            • Coach McGuirk
              1
              • Nov 2008
              • 12109

              #7
              Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              Universal >>>>> Disneyworld

              Fixed. Disneyland/DCA will always be tops in my book. DisneyWorld, well that imposter is what it is, a poor attempt to recreate an original.

              Comment

              • RC Vikings
                Known Heterosexual
                • Nov 2008
                • 8789

                #8
                Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                Fixed. Disneyland/DCA will always be tops in my book. DisneyWorld, well that imposter is what it is, a poor attempt to recreate an original.
                Good correction. We were there this summer and I was very disappointed in DisneyWorld.

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  Good correction. We were there this summer and I was very disappointed in DisneyWorld.
                  amen. the disneyland portion of disneyworld is lame. iirc, there is no matterhorn. wtf is up with that?

                  i really enjoyed epcot but it has been years since I went to spend the day there. I have been back since for conferences and such.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • il Padrino Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19161

                    #10
                    You're in Orlando? Why are you not on a course posting with your blackberry (or is it gooseberry? I'm not hip enough to know this tech stuff)
                    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                    Comment

                    • Walter Sobchak
                      Adventurer
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 3815

                      #11
                      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      Yesterday afternoon, during a break in the action, and obviously delirious from the sweltering heat, I actually said these words, "Sure, I'd be happy to go with you and the girls to the Premium Outlet Mall." My wife had always spoken of such things, which until now I had avoided like the plague.
                      It has been 6 years since we have visited ORL. Kids ages have (by and large) basically doubled since the last time we were here... and now, well, I'm almost 50. I realized today that I no longer have the constitution to go on roller coasters one after another after another. Yes, it was hot and humid, but I walked off the Hulk (first ride of the day) feeling a little weak and disoriented. Many of the other tamer rides left my head swimming. My son and I finished off the day on the Rockit. It was 8pm and still 2 hours until the park closed. Normally, I wouldn't think of leaving the park a second before closing time... but I was just physically done. Mercifully, everyone else felt the same way. We retired, grabbed some sushi on the way home, and then the boy and I settled down in the room and watched some baseball while eating some of the marvelous Blue Bell ice cream.

                      Long story short... we are scaling back our park plans (from 5 days to 3) and hitting the beach and the local outlet malls instead.


                      Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      Fixed. Disneyland/DCA will always be tops in my book. DisneyWorld, well that imposter is what it is, a poor attempt to recreate an original.
                      Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      Good correction. We were there this summer and I was very disappointed in DisneyWorld.
                      Agree with this. The new HP stuff at Universal is really well done. Well worth the price of admission. Save Disney for a SoCal visit. Very disappointed that Universal dismantled the racing coaster ride late last year. There is a big hole and several cranes in its place at the moment. Bad timing.
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

                      Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

                      Comment

                      Working...