Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Just for the record, a 32-bit floating point number in computer programming has a range of 3.4E+38 to +3.4E+38. By contrast a 64-bit floating point number has a range of -1.7E+308 to +1.7E+308. When teaching that concept I always tell folks "That is probably more than the number of atoms in the universe." Turns out I was right. By a mile!
    Are you sure about that 32-bit range?

Whoops. Should be 32-bit = 3.4E-38 to +3.4E+38 and 64-bit = 1.7E-308 to +1.7E+308. Good catch.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 03-14-2019, 08:31 AM.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• So, if you stacked $1 bills on top of each other, how high would that be?
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
        So, if you stacked $1 bills on top of each other, how high would that be?
        How many? Are we talking about welder-level money?
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

Is this just some ploy so you can tell us to write in Mitt?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            How many? Are we talking about welder-level money?
            Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Is this just some ploy so you can tell us to write in Mitt?
            I was referencing this:

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            What is crazy is that number isn't even atoms. Just particles. Crazy!
            I used $1 bills instead of $100 bills because I wanted it to be relatable to this crowd. SJBH.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I was referencing this:

I used $1 bills instead of $100 bills because I wanted it to be relatable to this crowd. SJBH.
              I understand. And speak for yourself, by the way. I make close to what welders make!

Still, you haven't told us how many dollar bills you are stacking.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

3.65E+18 light years.

Can't help being a math nerd sometimes.

If it were 100 dollar bills, it would be 3.65E+16 light years.

Comment

• So I was walking down the street in College Park, Maryland, and as we were passing some dude, I nodded to him in a friendly manner. He goes off on me and says, "don't say hi to me! You don't know me, boy!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    So I was walking down the street in College Park, Maryland, and as we were passing some dude, I nodded to him in a friendly manner. He goes off on me and says, "don't say hi to me! You don't know me, boy!"
                    I blame trump and his racist time machine,.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                      3.65E+18 light years.

Can't help being a math nerd sometimes.

If it were 100 dollar bills, it would be 3.65E+16 light years.
                      Thank you! Awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        I blame trump and his racist time machine,.
                        He was probably French.

Comment

• We visited the Columbia River Maritime Museum during our spring break stay in Astoria. It has an exhibit about the yosegaki hinomaru, the Japanese "good luck" flag that WWII soldiers would carry with them during battle. Each flag would be signed by family members and friends, including well wishes and admonitions:
                          IMG_1183.jpg

These flags became somewhat of a souvenir for American soldiers, who would bring them home after retrieving them from a dead Japanese soldier. Apparently most of them had no idea that they represented. The museum has a collection of them:
                          IMG_1181.jpg

There is a non-profit society that encourages the return of these flags. Once returned, it goes to work trying to find the descendants of the fallen soldiers. It sometimes weeks, others more than a year. And some have just vanished. But it still works at it. I found this video quite moving:

Anyways, good abounds in the world. I thought the few members here who had Japanese ties might find this interesting. Here's the link to the society:

http://obonsociety.org

Edit: can someone please turn these pics around? They have the Oregon curse.
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• I won an autographed Earl Campbell jersey (Texas jersey) today at a golf tournament. What does someone who doesn't love the NFL and doesn't love Texas do with something like that?
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• sell it
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                                sell it
                                That was my first thought. Doesn't look like its too terribly valuable though. May $40 on ebay.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X