No announcement yet.

Racism...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Buckingham Palace aide resigned over their remarks to a black charity boss. They kept asking her where in Africa she was from, but she's born and raised in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63810468

Ngozi Fulani, the head of a domestic abuse charity, was questioned where in Africa she was from during the Queen Consort's event at the palace.

She said she was "totally stunned".

The palace said the comments were "unacceptable and deeply regrettable" and it took the incident "extremely seriously".

An eyewitness Mandu Reid, told the BBC the questions were "offensive, racist and unwelcoming".

Ms Reid says she had a "sense of incredulity" about the exchange with a member of the Royal Household, in which Ms Fulani was "interrogated" about where she was from - even though she had explained she was born and lived in the UK.
    When I hear an accent when I meet someone, I like to ask where they're from. Sometimes they say "Philadelphia", and it's obvious they are not native to where they say. Would asking where they are from originally after that be offensive? I've done that. That's quite a bit different than what the aide did in the above example. Still, I don't want to be offensive, and maybe I'll be a little more careful in the future.

Comment

• I was travelling with a co-worker when someone at the airport asked him where he was from. He knew what she was asking about and answered "India". I was tempted to chime in and say, "I thought you were from Springville," but thought better of it.

Comment

Working...
      X