Nerdy hobbies

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • frank ryan
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12389

    #1

    Nerdy hobbies

    As a kid, I collected stamps. I never had any of real value. I would go the hobby store and buy big bags of cancelled (used) stamps from different countries. I learned a lot of geography and history through the hobby, but abandoned it when I got into sports and comic books.

    The last 18 months or so I've been into collecting coins. It started with me buying common coins from different countries, trying to get currency from every modern state that issues their own. It's grown more expensive as I pick up stuff that interests me. I really like having this passive hobby. I'm an outlier as the average age of a coin collecter is 60.



    Anyway, do any of you guys have nerdy hobbies?
    Last edited by frank ryan; 12-16-2018, 01:24 PM.
  • USUC
    Chronic Poseur
    • Apr 2010
    • 8806

    #2
    Does collecting guitar pedals count as a nerd hobby? Its the only thing, outside of tapes and CDs as a teenager, that I've consistently spent money on hobby wise.

    My dad has a ton of old coins. I was fascinated by them as a kid. But I never really collected any on my own. I guess I collected wheatback pennies when they were still in circulation.

    Comment

    • frank ryan
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12389

      #3
      Originally posted by USUC View Post
      Does collecting guitar pedals count as a nerd hobby? Its the only thing, outside of tapes and CDs as a teenager, that I've consistently spent money on hobby wise.

      My dad has a ton of old coins. I was fascinated by them as a kid. But I never really collected any on my own. I guess I collected wheatback pennies when they were still in circulation.
      Yeah, I think it does. It's cool and nerdy at the same time.

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #4
        i have devoted an ungodly portion of my life to posting on the 3rd most popular byu football fan chat blog with a bunch of anonymous middle aged men
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • All-American
          Right, as Usual
          • Nov 2008
          • 15680

          #5
          Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          i have devoted an ungodly portion of my life to posting on the 3rd most popular byu football fan chat blog with a bunch of anonymous middle aged men
          Link?
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

          Comment

          • MartyFunkhouser
            Disciple of RNGesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 18763

            #6
            I spent most of the day driving around Daybreak raiding Lugia and Ho Oh trying to get a shiny.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

            Comment

            • smokymountainrain
              Impressive Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22593

              #7
              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              i have devoted an ungodly portion of my life to posting on the 3rd most popular byu football fan chat blog with a bunch of anonymous middle aged men
              1st AND 3rd for me.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

              Comment

              • USUC
                Chronic Poseur
                • Apr 2010
                • 8806

                #8
                Wait, what site is #2?

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 38003

                  #9
                  Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                  I spent most of the day driving around Daybreak raiding Lugia and Ho Oh trying to get a shiny.
                  This sounds dirty.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Sullyute
                    a day late/a dollar short
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 3308

                    #10
                    Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    Link?
                    that makes me miss Indycoug. Anyone know how he is doing?
                    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                    Comment

                    • frank ryan
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12389

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                      that makes me miss Indycoug. Anyone know how he is doing?
                      Making money by predicting the failures of people and or organizations.

                      Comment

                      • frank ryan
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 12389

                        #12
                        When you come across the new 2019 quarters check this mint mark. Coins with a W mint mark go for about 20 bucks in good condition.

                        The mint produced quarters from the small West Point mint this year and marked them which is a first. These quarters make up about 1 percent of all quarters minted. It was done for needy coin collectors like me.

                        Comment

                        • Green Monstah
                          Royal Rooter
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 13981

                          #13
                          I'm still a pretty diligent collector of sports cards dating from the 70s to the 90s. They were mass produced, so they have very little value, but I love looking them over and organizing them. I particularly love when I buy an old collection, and they organized in some manner. It's fun to try to deduce why the original owner organized them in a particular way. It's also fun to determine which players they liked (sometimes it's because they have an extraordinary number of that particular player, all grouped together; other times it's because that player is absent from the collection (they kept the "good ones").

                          For example, when I bought Mormon Red Death's collection, there were absolutely zero BYU alumni football players in his decent sized football card collection. Ripped in half and discarded out of anger? Ruined by substantial tear flow after another drubbing of the Utes by St. LaVell of Provo? Traded to that annoying BYU kid in the ward for a Scott Mitchell rookie card?
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                          "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                          Comment

                          • frank ryan
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12389

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            I'm still a pretty diligent collector of sports cards dating from the 70s to the 90s. They were mass produced, so they have very little value, but I love looking them over and organizing them. I particularly love when I buy an old collection, and they organized in some manner. It's fun to try to deduce why the original owner organized them in a particular way. It's also fun to determine which players they liked (sometimes it's because they have an extraordinary number of that particular player, all grouped together; other times it's because that player is absent from the collection (they kept the "good ones").

                            For example, when I bought Mormon Red Death's collection, there were absolutely zero BYU alumni football players in his decent sized football card collection. Ripped in half and discarded out of anger? Ruined by substantial tear flow after another drubbing of the Utes by St. LaVell of Provo? Traded to that annoying BYU kid in the ward for a Scott Mitchell rookie card?
                            I have a bunch of cards, but I have little energy to try to dig through them for any potential value. That's sad. I think I have a Steve Young rookie card with the Bucs.

                            Comment

                            • Scott R Nelson
                              UofU/BYU mixed marriage
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 1508

                              #15
                              Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              When you come across the new 2019 quarters check this mint mark. Coins with a W mint mark go for about 20 bucks in good condition.

                              The mint produced quarters from the small West Point mint this year and marked them which is a first. These quarters make up about 1 percent of all quarters minted. It was done for needy coin collectors like me.
                              My wife and I started collecting the state quarters when they first came out. We tried to get about 20 of each one.

                              I've given up on that and started spending them.

                              Comment

                              Working...